z

Young Writers Society

Hero vs Villain throwdowns

Reviews: 0
Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:54 pm
Wobbertson says...

In my series, the Hero and Villain battle each, one on one, a lot:
Book 5
1 - The Villain is first introduced in the midst of a huge battle The Hero takes him head on before being beat back.
2 - After the battle goes on for a while longer, it becomes apparent that evil will triumph in this segment. The Hero once again attacks the Villain only to be slowly and brutally killed as the remaining forces of good retreat.
Book 6
3 - The Hero is brought back to life stronger than before and engages the Villain as they are now equally match. Here, the Villain's army step in causing the two to lose sight of each other.
4 - The two find each other and engage in a devastating duel which destroys much of London in the process. Both become weak and tired from the fight before the Villain is forced back behind his army.
5 - Once the Hero vanquishes the Villain's leader and source of power, the Hero and Villain clash in a very one sided fist fight. After toying with the weak Villain, the Hero executes him ending the conflict.

My question is, do you think this is too much? Would you combine the 4th and 5th encounter into one? Leave your opinions below.

382 Reviews

Reviews: 382
Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:57 pm
Dreamy says...

This sounds too obvious. But this will be good to read if you be very descriptive about those wars. And make it the same book with two parts. It will be good.
If any person raises his hand to strike down another on the ground of religion, I shall fight him till the last breath of my life, both as the head of the Government and from outside- Jawaharlal Nehru.

152 Reviews

Reviews: 152
Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:34 am
Rubric says...

I don't think the characters fighting each other so often is the problem, it's that they're fighting each other without resolution so often. Part of this is that you're bringing in the idea of resurrection, which if done poorly can work against the narrative impact of character death quite strongly, the real blowout is in fights 3,4 and 5, which don't all seem necessary.

Narratively speaking, fights 3 and 4 sound like they could be the same event, whereas 4 and 5 are actually separated by a distinct narrative event (the death of the power source).

obviously there's more at play in your story though, and if it fits the narrative arcs theres no problem with them meeting up to duel every few chapters.
So you're going to kill a god. Sure. But what happens next?

Diary of a Deicide, Part One.

Got YWS?

Be steadfast as a tower that doth not bend its stately summit to the tempest’s shock.
— Dante Alighieri