z

Young Writers Society

Character Evolution (Opinions)

Reviews: 0
Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:28 am
Wobbertson says...

If you've seen my other post, you know I'm writing a series based around the character known as Irin Dread. He is an immortal human created by angels to fight off a demonic invasion since their intervention is outlawed. Other details are explained in the other thread.
Anyway, to the point. In the sixth installment, a colossal battle erupts killing off many of the main characters. With the antagonists practically defeated, their leader executes Irin's wife to cause as much pain as possible. This is where your opinions come in. My idea is to make Irin become this two faced entity such as Doctor Jekyll and Mr Hyde. After losing many friends and loved ones and seeing the destruction of his home and adopted home, Irin's darker, more malevolent side becomes self aware and takes over occasionally since his anger and hate become to strong to control.
In this form, his body undergoes several changes also, His hair becomes longer and pitch black with his eyes turning black too. His armour (usually a faded gold) turns grey. In this form, he refers to himself as Dread. He becomes far more ruthless with his fighting style and fights without honour. During Dread's first appearance, he tears the limbs off a enemy before killing his arch nemesis by gorging our his eyes, ripping his elbows and knees off and finally thrusting his first through his skull.
This alter ego is used in the final two installments as a powerful weapon unleashed upon a alien invasion force. However, Dread becomes so powerful he manifests himself into a separate body based on his own appearance. The now independent Dread is free of Irin's influence. This leads to the final conflict in which the two egos and their subjects clash.
Is this a good idea? Should it be edited in anyway? Or should I remove the idea and create a different foe for the finale?

382 Reviews

Reviews: 382
Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:27 am
Dreamy says...

This is really a very good idea. Normally the MC's are good or bad personas. And the major stereotypes that we see is that the bad one becomes the good one, I mean like always. So I like this idea where the good one becomes the bad one, because of loss. That's something new and also realistic. Like an avatar or just like a phase of life.But this will be good only if he changes himself again to being "good."

Cheers!!!
If any person raises his hand to strike down another on the ground of religion, I shall fight him till the last breath of my life, both as the head of the Government and from outside- Jawaharlal Nehru.

Reviews: 0
Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:42 am
Wobbertson says...

Thanks for the feedback.
Irin (the normal 'good' ego) does have control over Dread (the alter ego) whilst Dread takes over the body. The whole idea is that even though they are the same soul, they couldn't be more different. This difference increases to a point where Dread actually splits into a different body. The two halves of the soul clash but neither can defeat the other since they are exactly the same and one cannot exist without the other. Knowing Dread would go on to kill many people, Irin kills himself. Without the other half of the soul, Dread also 'dies'. It's a no win situation for Irin.

382 Reviews

Reviews: 382
Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:55 am
Dreamy says...

Wow! The MC has spilt personality which is so cool.
I'm with you in this. :)

Can't wait to read it. :)
If any person raises his hand to strike down another on the ground of religion, I shall fight him till the last breath of my life, both as the head of the Government and from outside- Jawaharlal Nehru.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna lay down and become a tomato for a while.
— RokitaVivi