z

Young Writers Society

what counts as a short story?

Reviews: 3
Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:52 pm
RoseEmma says...

what would be described as a short story? (min. number of words and max. number of words) my novel so far is 11,500 words so short or long story?

R x
Hollywood is a place where they'll pay you a thousand dollars for a kiss and fifty cents for your soul.
Marilyn Monroe

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:01 pm
Firestarter says...

*moved to Fiction Discussion*

I've noticed a number of your topics have been placed in incorrect forums, if you need help understanding where to post things, please contact me any time :)

In my opinion, there is no law set in stone. There's no minimum or maximum. Generally good sense works here. Something under 1000 words is usually considered flash fiction, that is, fiction produced on the spin. Short stories are usually between 1000 and sometimes up to 10,000 words, although those at the upper limit are quite long.

You said you were writing a novel, and it's 11,500 words thus far: that would not be considered a short story, and not just because of its word length -- the very fact that you're writing a novel and it's not completed means that it won't be a short story when it's finished. If you finished it at something like 5,000 it might be, if you finished at 11,500 it would be a long short story, if you will. But I wouldn't consider your novel anything but an uncompleted novel.
Last edited by Firestarter on Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:02 pm
Cassandra says...

A novel is not considered a short story no matter the word count at the moment, because it's obviously not a complete story yet, right? A novel is different than a short story. You could post what you have so far in the proper forum, however, regardless of word count.

The word count of short stories can vary, but I'm not sure what the standard number is. Sorry.

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:05 pm
Duskglimmer says...

According to Wikipedia:

Determining what exactly separates a short story from longer fictional formats is problematic. A classic definition of a short story is that it must be able to be read in one sitting (a point most notably made in Edgar Allan Poe's essay "The Philosophy of Composition" of 1846). Other definitions place the maximum word length at 7,500 words. In contemporary usage, the term short story most often refers to a work of fiction no longer than 20,000 words and no shorter than 1,000.

Stories shorter than 1,000 words fall into the flash fiction genre. Fiction surpassing the maximum word length parameters of the short story falls into the areas of novelettes, novellas, or novels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_story
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:41 pm
Wiggy says...

What Jack said. :D
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

There is hopeful symbolism in the fact that flags do not wave in a vacuum.
— Arthur C. Clarke