z

Young Writers Society

To Submit or Not To Submit

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:49 pm
mystical*dragons says...

I've been thinking about submitting to the Writer's Digest Short Short Story Contest this year. The only condition on the submission of the story is that the story has to be 1500 words or less than that and that it should make a great impact.

I have a short story which is approximately 350 words, and I was wondering if I should send it in or not. Is my story too short for the contest? Will it's length greatly affect the chances of my winning? Not that I think I have much chances of winning anyway.The reason I've been thinking of submitting it is that although it is short, I've been told it makes a great impact on the reader.

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:27 pm
-KayJuran- says...

Hey, if you think it's good enough, then submit it!

Oh, and if you don't think it's good enough, just edit it a bit more, and then submit it. :wink:

You could always post it here, and see what people think of it first.

Good luck with it!

~Kay
"There you go - sausages à la bread!" - Blue.

50 Reviews

Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:53 pm
mystical*dragons says...

Thanks Kay!

Maybe I will post the story here, before I submit it to the contest. :)

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:17 pm
Dream Deep says...

Lol, I'm looking at that contest too... ^_~ I'm with Kay, if you think it has a chance then go for it!

Heh, and yeah, post it here - I wanna read it. ^_^

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:32 pm
Wiggy says...

Come on myst-post up post up! ^_^ I've also had my eye on that contest (great minds think alike! lol)
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:38 pm
Rei says...

No reason not to. If there's no minimum, why not submit something that is only 350 words?
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

50 Reviews

Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:08 pm
mystical*dragons says...

Hehehe...I will post it but on one condition...you guys have to post your stories too.. :P

50 Reviews

Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:12 pm
mystical*dragons says...

Hey dream deep, you've read the story I'm thinking of submitting to the contest. It's in the romantic fiction 'Temple of Innocence". You commented on it.

I had to take it off though, because I was thinking of submitting it. :oops:

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:37 pm
Poor Imp says...

mystical*dragons wrote:I've been thinking about submitting to the Writer's Digest Short Short Story Contest this year. The only condition on the submission of the story is that the story has to be 1500 words or less than that and that it should make a great impact.

I have a short story which is approximately 350 words, and I was wondering if I should send it in or not. Is my story too short for the contest? Will it's length greatly affect the chances of my winning? Not that I think I have much chances of winning anyway.The reason I've been thinking of submitting it is that although it is short, I've been told it makes a great impact on the reader.

Hullo mystical*dragons. All the advice here is good, so I won't amend any of it. ^_~ I'd only add that at 350 words you're probably a little on the short side for what the judges are looking for. Submit it still, if you think it's a strong piece. But also browse around for other contests - it sounds as if yours would be a perfect entry to a flash fic. competetition. ^_^
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

50 Reviews

Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:34 am
mystical*dragons says...

I think I agree with you Imp. It probably is a bit on the short side. So this is what I'm going to do, I'm going to enter the shorter piece in a flash fiction contest. As for the Writer's Digest contest, I am currently working on a piece, which will be on the longer side. So after I'm done writing it, I'll post a part of it here on YWS and see what you guys think of it. Then if I am satisfied with it, I'll submit it to the contest. ^_^

Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.
— Pablo Picasso