z

Young Writers Society

Most Disturbing Books

Random avatar

Reviews: 212
Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:59 pm
timjim77 says...

I just finished a disturbing comedy by Chuck Palahniuk called "Choke." He fakes choking in restaraunts to get money from people. He's also a sex addict.

Probably the most duisturbing book I've ever read (but never qwuite finished) was "Blindness" by Jose Saramago. The premise i that there is a contagious form of blindness in which everything appears white. It's a metaphor for the modern world and the cruelties of civilization in the 20-21st centuries.

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:10 pm
_fallingstar_ says...

The most disturbing book that I have read to date was Things Fall Apart. My English teacher made us read it for class. The book wasn't particularly sick or anything, it was just... disturbed. *shudders*
My high school senior mascot is a dragon. Take that, monkey!

Blackle.com--saving energy one search at a time.

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:32 pm
Supermal says...

I'd have to put up Wild Animus by Riche Shapiro (Don't know if that's how you spell it exactly). I don't remember what it was about much- I think it was about some guy who was stoned 24-7 and thought he was like a goat or something... It was just really bad and creepy (very, very disturbing).
~Michelle~
Who needs friends when you've just bought a brand new pen?

139 Reviews

Reviews: 139
Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:22 pm
Torpid says...

not neseceraly disturbing but Sleepers by Lorenzo carcetarra was very powerful and good, mainly because the deep emotional roots and tragedies in the story..

like prison rape in juvy...

=)

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:32 pm
Poor Imp says...

1984 by Orwell.

I read it when I was 13 or 14...and was unsettled for months. I can think of little more disturbing than a world as controlled and depraved as that.

The Life of Pi by Yann Martel.

The incongruity and subtle tragedy which in the end, seemed half as ambiguous as the beginning was disturbing. Was there reality in the entire thing? Did it matter? Provocative thought-wise; but the story itself...

A few things I can't recall. But as I can't recall, probably the more disturbing of the few - denial, in that case. ^_~
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:44 pm
Zelithan says...

it was by Ann Rice i forgot the title but it was about a creepy 45 year old who writes books about little girls, an is famous because of it. Then he falls in love with a homeless sixteen year old who read his books. They have sex. More than once too creepy to finish.
I AM SUCH A TREND JUST LOOK AT MY AVATAR!

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:37 am
Galatea says...

Lolita is one that comes to mind. I'd loved it because I was so thoroughly creeped out by it. Humbert Humbert is one of THE greatest narrative voices of all time.
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:53 am
Areida says...

Got to echo Poor Imp on this one.

I just finished (as in thirty seconds ago) 1984. I was fascinated by it, and loved Orwell's style of writing, but at the same time the book was both terrifying and disturbing.

I liked it, but at the same time I don't think I'd be able to reread it again for a long time. It was creepy.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:16 am
Supermal says...

I'll second Life of Pi- that was one odd book. I liked it, but it still sorta creeped me out.
~Michelle~
Who needs friends when you've just bought a brand new pen?

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:03 am
Elelel says...

The Lord of the Flies

*shudders*
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:15 am
Snoink says...

Invisible Man was very interesting. Even had a castration scene!

...yep.

It was also the book that inspired me to use colors for symbolism. Cool? I think so. But considering that the book had several sex scenes, a description of a man who impregnated his daughter, a fight where the protagonist got beaten up (which was preceded by a stripper in a scene described as "red, white, and blue"), and then a scene where the protagonist is DARED to rape this women (there's symbolism of Santa Claus being a creepy guy there), and a castration scene to boot...

Yeah. That was slightly disturbing.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:08 pm
-KayJuran- says...

Will have to repeat what others have said, and say 1984. Very creepy, just 'cause that's what our world could turn out like if we're not careful. I mean.. I'm sure it won't, but it gets you thinking that it just might, y'know?
"There you go - sausages à la bread!" - Blue.

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:23 pm
Sam says...

I don't think I've ever read a book that disturbed me...1984 was just cool. I must be dense. :P
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:24 pm
_fallingstar_ says...

I agree with Life of Pi. Good, yet disturbing. Disturbing, yet good.
My high school senior mascot is a dragon. Take that, monkey!

Blackle.com--saving energy one search at a time.

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Wed May 03, 2006 10:14 pm
Dream Deep says...

Areida wrote:Got to echo Poor Imp on this one.

I just finished (as in thirty seconds ago) 1984. I was fascinated by it, and loved Orwell's style of writing, but at the same time the book was both terrifying and disturbing.

I liked it, but at the same time I don't think I'd be able to reread it again for a long time. It was creepy.

Couldn't have put it better. I read 1984 for school this year.

Still, I think the most disturbing book I'v ever read - and yet one of the most magnificent - is a book by CJ Cherryh called A Wave Without a Shore. There really is no way to sum it up concisely, but I can say this: it is about reality, about how one can be aware of everything one wishes to be aware of, about how one can simply refuse to accept things into his reality. Ultimately, it's about an artist who runs mad because of this school of thought.

Really an amazing and appealing way of looking at things - I know it doesn't seem to be, but you'd have to read the book - it just sort of freaked me out, since the conept seems to easily drive people mad.

I mean, I don't want to sit there and go "Hmmm. Inner harmony & Peace or My Sanity... hmmm...Which do I value more...."

:? Awesome way to think though, if ever you find yourself in need of quick insanity.

i don't need to search the stars to know myself
— soundofmind