z

Young Writers Society

Story plot--help and whatnot

Reviews: 0
Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:53 pm
Ayako says...

Okey...this is my first post, so just bear with me if I act like a newbie...

I have a lot of 'good' ideas for a story I'm writing, and kind of like how it's turning out. But I was wondering, 1) is it better or worse to brainstorm large amounts of storyline, 2)is it really detrimental to my writing to edit before finishing an entire composition? I read this somewhere, and now I get paranoid whenever I feel like doing that.

Oh, and any tips on writing would be much appreciated.

139 Reviews

Reviews: 139
Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:15 am
Torpid says...

The brainstorming is just your opinion as an author but if you do it ahead of time, ure less likely to run out or get block later, so yes, i would say that is a good idea. and 2) The question kinda confuses me but I would edit a comp. as a whole, at the end, when im done all together.

Hope I've helped,
Torpid

p.s. Tips...hmm, revise and revise cuz there are some scary editors out there... be careul what you publish my friend...

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:31 am
Poor Imp says...

Firstly, welcome to the site! YWS is a pretty pleasant place all around - though watch out for the random raving rants (critiques). Just kidding. :D

Ayako wrote:I have a lot of 'good' ideas for a story I'm writing, and kind of like how it's turning out. But I was wondering, 1) is it better or worse to brainstorm large amounts of storyline, 2)is it really detrimental to my writing to edit before finishing an entire composition?

Brainstorming can work - or it can bog you down. It depends on the writer and the story. You may have to work on your experience there (though it's always a good thing to immerse yourself in the characters and conflicts).

If you're worrying over the editing, if it gets caught in your thoughts constantly and trips you up, or stops you writing - don't even think about it. But if you can write comfortably; and then afterward go over it, that's wonderful. Honestly, editing can trip you up rather badly for the simple reason that it turns your mind towards the critical - if you're criticizing yourself as you write, during the time that you're really working through the first draft, it can kill it.
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:12 am
Elelel says...

Welcome! I hope you enjoyed your first post!

Well, the brainstorming thing seems to be another term for plotting. This is a tricky one to advise on, because it's not only a personal thing, but it also depends on the story. If you're unsure, I'd try a bit, but not huge emormous massive heaps of pages on it. If then you find you need more detail, then go for it. Basically, I think you just have to experiment with this sort of thing, because no one else can really tell you how it'll work for you.

Editing ... there's a limit here. It's also a fairly personal thing, and it's more a problem for people who have perfectionist tendancies. You can go back and edit things. Sometimes you can come up wth some great new ideas doing things like that. But if you do it too much and start becoming really obsessed with it, spending more time revising than writing sort of thing, then it really can give you a mental blockage that won't let you continue. But don't be too worried about it. I mean, one thing you've got going for you is that now you're worried about it you're less likely to over do it.

Other tips ...

Ok, stick at it no matter what. This is one great tip, it may end up saving your writing career one day. It's tough, but don't take harsh critiques personally. Just think to yourself that you'll show them, then go and show them. The thing is, you might actually write better if you have something to prove. You'll have an audience, and an audience you HAVE to impress. Revenge is sweet, and it's a pretty good bribe to keep you going and improving. Just don't go around grinding people into the dust.

Strive to improve. Never think you're perfect how you are, because perfection is basically impossible, or at least very unlikely.

Things like that will help you more than any level of talent, because you can learn talent.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

Do. Or do not. There is no try.
— Yoda