z

Young Writers Society

Name finding tips

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:21 am
SirenCymbaline says...

How about.......Qiate? (say it Kea-tay) If that's not satisfactory, there's a site called seventh sanctum that I use when I have to name characters, places, or anything else!

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:31 pm
armstronge says...

Okay, I need a different name. This is a name for a girl who's a tom-boy. Some what athletic, but not that much. She doesn't like skirts or dresses or anything girly like makeup, high heels, nail polish, etc.

Does anyone have a name for some one like that? The name isn't really important, but I just can't come up with anything. Thank! :D
“To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world”

“A friend is someone who understands your past, believes in your future, and accepts you just the way you are.”

“Truly great friends are hard to find, difficult to leave, and impossible to forget.”

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:31 am
Addawen19 says...

In my belief and in the way I write things, the name to me is almost as important with the plot, it has to seriously fit my character, like to a T. Like this one character her name is Cassie, and Cassie is short for Cassandra and Cassandra means "She who entangles men." and in my book Cassie, well lets just say that men draw to her. Then there's another character her name is Ana and Ana means "Gracious and merciful" and that is the exact opposite of her, because she's a kick-ass assassin, so by having a sweet innocent name it throws people off.
But to answer your question, when I read your description of your last character, I actually either thought of Devon or Dylan, and yes I know they are boy names but it's the first thing that popped into my head. Hope it helped!
Addawen
The heart wants, the body needs, and the mind suffers. - me

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:24 am
ExposedSoul says...

For a tomboy I would suggest a unisex name like Sam or Taylor.
ExPoSeD sOuL

152 Reviews

Reviews: 152
Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:30 am
Rubric says...

Name's are a great opportunity for character development, not for the named character but for the parents who choose the name. Sure naming traditions have waned in the West, but elsewhere they are still pretty powerful.

The Igbo people of Nigeria, for instance, have historically put a lot of stock in names but not the vaguelly mystical kind that you find in most teen lit. A father who has had three daughters might name the third (what translates to english as) "A Girl is also good", or might pay homage to a great ancestor by referencing their name or deeds in the name of their grandchildren.

Names mean a lot and are great opportunities to build in that little bit of development that makes characters real, but the focus should always be on the parents, and more broadly, the culture rather than the individual who is named.
So you're going to kill a god. Sure. But what happens next?

Diary of a Deicide, Part One.

Got YWS?

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:41 am
imaginemymind says...

I honestly only want to recommend one name. As I was reading your description of your character it just popped into my head. Adrianna ( or Adriana) it means dark . :)
"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life. It goes on" ~Robert Frost

My blog where I talk everything book related : http://booksarewonderfulmagic.blogspot.com/

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:43 am
CardDragon says...

I will suggest Komi, it sounds cute but also has a dark feel for it. Though Melissa would work.
[color=#FF0000]I AM SICK PHANTOM![/color]

Reviews: 4
Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:40 pm
subtlepseudonym says...

One method I use is basing names directly from words that describe the character, but are in a different language. From there you may have to get a little creative turning the word into a name, though it's supposed to be fun! Another method is basing names off historical figures, or even better, obscure historical figures. As a last resort, generally for last names, you can take your friends' names and swap around a few consonants. It's all about having fun making the name and enjoying your character once you do, so... enjoy!
The internet has made you stoopid.

Stay gold, Ponyboy.
— S.E. Hinton