z

Young Writers Society

coming up with names for books

Reviews: 0
Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:03 pm
AWJO224 says...

It is so hard coming up with names for characters. Especially when it's fantasy and you have to make up unusual names for people, lands, cities, and landmarks. I have over sixty characters in my book in which most of their names are completely made up. I have so many cities and land marks that I've lost count. How about you? Do you find it fun or what?

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:49 pm
Rosendorn says...

I circumvent that two ways. xD

1- Less characters. If they're not important, or only have a minor roll, they don't get named or only have a name pulled quickly. It keeps readers from having to remember a billion characters, because I can't really characterize a ton of characters to the point people will connect with all of them.

2- No to minimal made-up names. I stick to names from the region I'm basing my world off of, to keep them somewhat pronounceable. I also make sure names don't really go over three or four syllables. Else it gets a bit complicated to say.

Past that, really I just keep a baby name book beside my writing space and flip through it whenever I need a name. If I can't find a longer name, I shorten it in a nickname.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

101 Reviews

Reviews: 101
Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:47 am
WritersUnleashed says...

I just give them random names. If I give them a purposful name, it doesn't seem realistic. If I don't like the name, then too bad. I didn't have a choice in my name.

482 Reviews

Reviews: 482
Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:39 pm
Ranger Hawk says...

I have the same problem. If I can't come up with a fitting name withing about five seconds, I just write down whatever their position is (peasant, blacksmith, knight, etc.) and change the font color, so that it'll be something I can come back to when I edit, instead of getting my writing flow bogged down.
There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people:
psychopaths and mystery writers.

I'm the kind that pays better.
~Rick Castle

126 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 126
Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:21 pm
Day says...

That's really good advice Rnager I never thought to do that. I usually just stop writing and sit there staring at the screen until I come up with something.
"If the king doesn't lead, how can he expect his subordinates to follow?"

Follow your inner moonlight; don't hide the madness
— Allen Ginsburg