z

Young Writers Society

Top 5 Worst Books You Ever Read

446 Reviews

Reviews: 446
Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:55 am
Yuriiko says...

Two books:

2. Wuthering Heights- thought it can widen up your vocabulary, but still...
1. School textbooks- don't ask. xD
"Life is a poem keep it in the present tense." -Sherrel Wigal

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:00 pm
Sierra says...

The Magician's nephew, C.S Lewis. Boring....
The Lord of the Rings, J.R.R Tolkien. The one book with action that can't hold my attention.
That's all i can think of write now.
What a shame,
We used to be such fragile broken things.

Random avatar

Reviews: 8
Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:52 am
pandora says...

5. Leaves of Grass (does a poetry book count?) Don't ask me why, but I HATE Whitman more than just about anything.

4. The Sun Also Rises, by Hemingway. I hate him too.

3. Pride and Prejudice by Austen. If I read it on my own, it might have been okay. But no. My all-female senior class read it all at the same time, and so for MONTHS I had to listen to girls who I *thought* had a brain obsessing over Mr. Darcy for HOURS on end. Kill me NOW.

2. Jane Eyre - Bronte (Charlotte?). This was SO boring. And what really pissed me off about it was how it was supposedly "feminist". Couldn't be farther from the truth.

1. Twilight. If you consider yourself a writer or are a self-respecting woman, I can't see how you can possibly like this book. The prose is terrible, the character development is terrible, and a plot only appears 350 pages in. And with respect to the second part, this piece of trash glorifies abusive, stalker-style relationships, the "weak female"/damsel in distress, and other such things that just totally disgust me and should disgust any female who values her independence and rights. And I'm not even touching the poorly masked political agenda driving the series. The world would be SO much better off without those books.

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:31 pm
Chryssa2305 says...

I agree with you on the Twilight thing. She is a horrible writer! I have to give her a bit of credit because she kept going, even though so many people wanted ot kill her. That's brave XD Or stupidity.

1) The book where that guy turned into a roach. Hated it. Hated it hated it! I just don't like him at all!

2) Robert Frost. D< I know lots of people like him, I just don't. Not at freaking all.

3) "The Scarlet Letter" I mean, geez, that was just horrible. You know what, I just really hate Hawthorne.

That's all I got for now...I'm sure I can find a few more, though if you give me a while.
MDR FTW X3

DANCER

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:40 pm
wonderland says...

1) Romeo and Juliet-Taking Three hours just to say good-bye! Really?

2) Twilight. I'm sorry, It had to be said. it was gross.

3) The Hunger Games- Please, don't kill me. I just have many legit reasons to not like this series. (If you really want to know, message me.)

4) Pride and Prejudice- Yawn.

5) Graceling- Mary- Sure galore
'We will never believe again, kick drum beating in my chest again, oh, we will never believe in anything again, preach electric to a microphone stand.'

*Formerly wickedwonder*

522 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 522
Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:12 am
Lavvie says...

As Twilight is so bad it doesn't even deserve to be on a list of any kind, it won't be on this one, but I'm assuring you that I dislike that series with a passion.

5) The Septimus Heap Series by Angie Sage. This is a total Harry Potter rip-off. It's annoying and it jumps around so much, I couldn't get my head around all the different plots that kept being thrown in. Plus, the endings are all those "Happily Ever After" endings.

4) House of Night Series by P.C. Cast and her daughter or something. Just terrible. Right next to Twilight, but just...weird.

3) The Princess Bride by William Goldman. An 111 page chapter? That explains everything along with the ramblings-on, weird characters and lengthy interruptions by the author.

2) Rebecca of Stonybrook Farm by Kate Somebody. Just boring.

1) The Word for Home by Joan Clark. it's long and rambling and boring and no plot or climax whatsoever.

What is to give light must endure burning. – Viktor Frankl

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:16 pm
leebass says...

1. The Republic of Trees by Sam Taylor (Also The Amnesiac is rubbish)
Characters appear with no explanation; ideas are stolen from 1984, Lord of the Flies and Animal Farm; someone is killed at the end purely for drama; the lead character has unexplained blackouts throughout the whole book, to stop the reader from knowing what's going on.

2. Girlfriend in a Coma by Douglas Coupland (Generation X is also pants)
How anyone can like Douglas Coupland is beyond my understanding. There are exactly 4 funny bits throughout the whole book. The ending makes no sense at all: why does the population of the world suddenly go into a coma? Oh yeah it's so God can tell the main characters that they should spend the rest of their lives telling people to live better. Also the writing is poor.

3. Diary by Chuck Palahniuk (Also Rant is nonsensical rubbsih)
Loved Fight Club. Choke, Survivor and Lullaby were average. This is just drivel. Nothing is made clear, the ending is anticlimactic and the whole book is very tediously drawn out and boring. Made me realise Palahniuk had one good idea (Fight Club) and has spent the rest of his career trying to be as shocking as possible.

4. Hater by David Moody
The lead character is so boring and his kind of character has been done to death (middle age man unhappy with his life). Nothing is explained. Tedious.

5. Anything by writers of 'Bizarro' fiction. (Carlton Mellick, D. Harlan Wilson etc.)
Creativity, characterisation, sentence structure, humour and plot are all substituted for a 'who can write the wackiest story' competition.

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:01 pm
Tigersprite says...

1) Eragon and all subsequent books.
Utter trash, a complete and total rip-off of the Lord of The Rings (Urgals and Orcs, anyone? The elves are the exact same, for God's sake!) and Star Wars (simple farm boy turned into hero on quest for vengeance after family is killed. Simple farm boy does not know his father, meets villain and learns villain is his father), not to mention Dragonriders of Pern. Just because he started writing the book at fifteen doesn't mean he has any talent!

2) Sweet, the sequel to Sugar Rush.
Indescribably rubbish, it hurts to think about it.

3) Breaking Dawn
I know the Twilight series is nonsense. But the last book was really pushing it. Getting everyone all hyped up with the thought of a big good vampire and bad vampire monster fight, only not to deliver at all and leave readers with a humongous anticlimax. Great job Meyer.

Right now, that's all I can think of.

TIGERSPRITE
"A superman ... is, on account of certain superior qualities inherent in him, exempted from the ordinary laws which govern men. He is not liable for anything he may do."
Nathan Leopold

253 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 253
Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:32 pm
RacheDrache says...

5. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, by J.K. Rowling. First note that I adore and love Harry Potter 1-6 and that I was a midnight-release attendee. I grew up with Harry Potter. And I was hugely disappointed in this cliche, overdrawn, melodramatic, heavily flawed, predictable chunk of book. So disappointed, in fact, that I pretend it doesn't exist, and refer to it as The Book That Shall Not Be Named.

4. The Grapes of Wrath, by Jon Steinbeck. Or, part of it, anyway. I loved the lyrical sections so much. I hated the "story" sections, especially toward the end. But I do have things against allegories.

3. Animal Farm by George Orwell. I don't mind 1984 all that much, though it's certainly flawed. But Animal Farm... it was my least favorite book, because of how pretentious and full of itself it was... until I read:

2. Mirror, Mirror, by Gregory MacQuire, who wrote Wicked. This is a retelling of Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, and while I have no problems with dark fairy tales--I am a huge Brothers Grimm fan, and dislike what Disney does to their tales and those of others--I found this one to be perverse, disgusting, appalling, pointless, and utterly unworthy of my time.

1. The Scarlet Letter, by Nathaniel Hawthorne. Everything I hate in a book. Writing that's clunky and pretentious, a storyline that's melodramatic and pointless, an author who abuses everything for the sake of beating the reader over the head with theme, obnoxiously overt symbolism that thinks it's subtle.
I don't fangirl. I fandragon.

Have you thanked a teacher lately? You should. Their bladder control alone is legend.

180 Reviews

Reviews: 180
Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:06 pm
Cspr says...

Hate List or whatever by whoever...
Too disturbing. Seriously... And it's just...odd...

Fade to Blue by whoever
Okay...is she a girl or a guy or...what...? *head explodes*

Pet Sematary by Stephen King
This is a hate/love relationship. Great writing, horrible ending.

Harry Potter
WHY MUST IT BE ABOUT DEATH? *cries* *sniffles* I liked it up to the last two books, I think, but after that...I just read to finish...

Twilight!
*eyes twitch* Sexist, monologuing, racist rubbish!

Eragon
For the fact the kid ripped off Star Wars. Read it, but still.

Eldest
Runs in circles...

Coh and Mirabella: The Twins of Volengrad
Because I must hate my first novel. I mean, look at the title! Twins? Cliche! Mentors? Cliche! Evil overlord? CLICHE.
Luckily, it sort of fixed itself in some ways. Sort of. The later books will be better, I promise, and I will be sure never to try and get it published as it stands.
I guess the fact that it's about a race war, the overlord is possessed by a demonic spirit (called Mordor and I swear I hadn't look at Tolkien's work before then), and the eventual savior is, well, it's a surprise. It's not a main character, either--not the right person, but it works.
And it doesn't really involve elves (farion, whose descendants are all magical--hence witches and warlocks) or dragons (second book has people who hold dragons in a freaky high regard--minimal). Well...much...
Oh! And then there's the Vertorix, those freaky half-goat, half-human, half-machine creepers. They like to give blood sacrifices to Mordor. And they have fun little claw-footed beasties.
Oh! And the villain is in love with his half-sister, somewhat. Gotta have the Middle Ages vibe up and going.
*thinks about going back to re-write briefly*

...Anyone willing to sift through the last one and find a way to fix it? *Cheshire cat grin* No? :'C *chuckles*
My SPD senses are tingling.

138 Reviews

Reviews: 138
Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:21 am
MadameLuxestrange says...

The worst books I've ever read....

1. The Chronicles of Narnia- First place definitely belongs to this series. I'm sorry to all you fans out there, but this series really bugs me. Lewis treats the reader like their eight. Yes, they are meant to be children's books, and I get why younger kids would like them, but really? Adults holding them up on pedestals? I just don't get it.

2. The Old Man and the Sea- I hated this book. The minimalistic style of writing bugged me. And let's be clear: no matter how inspirational the storyline is, its just a man in a boat trying to catch a big fish.

3. Jinx- I don't know how Meg Cabot went wrong on this one. I love her Princess Diaries books and all her other stuff. I guess paranormal isn't really her forte.

4. The Ashleys- I couldn't stomach these books for some reason. Melissa de la Cruz is like one of my favorites and these books were awful! I found the storyline rather bad.

5. The Clique- What more can I say other than the title?
...or dear Bellatrix, who likes to play with her food before she eats it?
Fear makes the wolf seem bigger.
I got attacked by a swan.

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:21 am
TheAlphaBunny says...

1. Betwixt by...someone. Bought the book because the cover was cool, read the whole thing because most of the story was cool. And then the last few chapters totally screwed me over. I'm still not sure what actually happened in that book...

2. Johnny Tremain. Read it in eighth grade. God. Awful.

3. Ok, I'm going to say Little Women despite the fact I've never finished it. (Sorry, Nate!) But I figure that by attempting to read it three different times and having no success constitutes for a worst book nomination.

4. Breaking Dawn. Seriously? You're going to make me read about some chick getting ripped open by her own demon child and you won't even reward me by killing off your main characters in an epic battle at the end? Way to go, Meyer. Welcome to my hit list.

5. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Ok, so I'm bashing a classic, but you know what? I was sorely disappointed. My English teacher built it up with all this praise and nonsense, but after I read it, I felt incomplete. Wasn't necessarily the worst, but it wasnt as great as everyone says it is...in my opinion of course.
"I can have oodles of charm when I want to." --Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:00 am
Nyx says...

1) The Magician by Raymond E. Feist
- My father made me read it and i still haven't forgiven him for it.

2) Ramses: The Son of Light by Christian Jacq
- I was bored and thought i might be able to read into some history stuff, turns out this book just wasn't exciting for me.

3) Stairway to the Moon by Colin Falconer
- I was given it for my birthday, so i read it... i thought that it was a slow book, and the ending so surprising...

4) Alpha by Catherine Asaro
- Had to read it for school, and it just wasn't my type of book

and last but not least

5) Nightfall by L.J Smith
- I just couldn't love this book like some of her others.

106 Reviews

Reviews: 106
Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:50 pm
Funkymomo says...

1 War of the worlds- can you say DRAGING?
2 Chains- can you say DRAGGING?
3 Tom Saywer- What was even the point?
4 The Gawgon and the boy- seriously?
5 The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime- too much, to little book.
Light one candle instead of cursing the darkness.

96 Reviews

Reviews: 96
Wed May 04, 2011 4:19 pm
tinkembell says...

These aren't so much 'bad' books, infact they're pretty good, just... *sniffles* SAD AND DISSAPOINTING :(

Elixir~Hillary Duff I mean come on, first there's a little romance between her and her bodyguard <3 and then she finds the guy who's in all her pictures. But he's immortal and can never be with her, everytime they find eachother she dies - :/ - and he 'pretends' he wants to stop this, so they go on this quest type thing BUT ITS REALLY SO HE CAN DIE! so, uh, he dies :'( and she gets depressed. The end. [What where you thinking?!?[/b]

The Betrayal of Natalie Hargrove~Lauren Kate Oh, what can I say? The gist is, she really wants to be prom queen, and her boyfriend Mike, to be prom king. She doesn't like JB, her and her boyfriend leave him drink at a church, dressed in drag for a joke, she takes what she think are 'drugs' from his pocket, when they are really anti seizure pills. JB dies. Natilie gets into this big web of lies, secrets, shame and scandal, eventually she can't take it any more and decides to run away, Mike finds her and well HE ACCIDENTALLY PUSHES HER INTO A WATERFALL AND SHE DROWNS :( yeah, and then at the end yu find out that JB really loved her...

Such a mass of capitals and sad faces *shakes head*
"The rabbit always squeals in the jaws of the fox, but when has another rabbit ever rushed up to save it?" Damon Salvatore
;'( please, my lump, he just needs HUGS <3
Need a review? Just ask :)
Just keep writing, just keep writing, do-do-do-do-do

We think in generalities, but we live in details.
— Alfred North Whitehead