z

Young Writers Society

Top 5 Worst Books You Ever Read

189 Reviews

Reviews: 189
Wed May 28, 2014 1:02 pm
View Likes
manisha says...

Need series by Carrie Jones - I don't even know why I sat through the books. The good things are rip offs from twilight and other fantasy books and the other original things are silly and hilarious.
Fifty Shades of Grey and and other two in it - I. Can't. Bad bad writing and story.
The Mortal Instruments - Never again.
If Novels are a bucket of imagination, Short story is a bucket of imagination made to fit a mug.

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Wed May 28, 2014 2:16 pm
Crimsona says...

Hrmm, this is actually quite tough because there aren't many books that I've read right to the very end that I've disliked. But here are the ones that spring to mind:

Great Expectations - Okay now I appreciate that this was not meant to be published as a novel but was in fact meant to be a newspaper series story type thing. I think if you had read little bits of it at a time then it would have been gripping - however it simply doesn't work as a novel. It is far too long and incredibly boring.

Of Mice and Men - At a first glace I didn't have any serious issues with this book, but studying it in detail completely killed it. It was the most boring book I've ever had to analyse, and I ended up really hating George after the 10th time I'd read the book. Ugh. (interestingly, Lord of The Flies had the exact opposite effect on me, when I read it the first time I despised it but came to love it after analysing it in class, odd).

The Granny Project Anne Fine - Now don't get me wrong, I adore Anne Fine's work, but this book just got me so confused. Maybe I need to give it another chance but I didn't really understand it, therefore didn't like it.

The White Darkness Geraldine McCaughrean - I struggled through this book and really despised it. It was dull, drawn out, vague and so ambiguous that I ended up having to read each page at least twice to understand what was going on. I also felt that the characters were bland and undeveloped. Boring.
Avatar (c) to Thalia - A great friend of mine

1634 Reviews

Reviews: 1634
Fri May 30, 2014 7:04 am
View Likes
Deanie says...

This is an interesting topic... not sure I have five.

1. Watership Down by Richard Adams. I was bored from beginning to finish and I can't believe I actually read it all!

2. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. I can't believe people actually like this book. There is just so much wrong with it, and why use the same names twice? Just to confuse us?

3. Along for the ride by Sarah Dessen. I thought she was going to be some nice chick lit writer but it turned out just to be a snippet from someone's life where nothing of event really happens.

That's all I got xD
Trust in God and all else follows.

Deanie, dominating the world since it was cool @Pompadour, 2014
Your username reminds me of a hotdog @Stegosaurus, 2015
Tried to make puns out of your username, but every attempt has been Deanied @Candywizard, 2015

433 Reviews

Reviews: 433
Fri May 30, 2014 10:08 am
TakeThatYouFiend says...

There are a few Dickens, C.S.Lewis, Watership Down and Mrs Pepperpot *cries about last one* haters here. But never mind, for they shall be rounded up and shot. Slowly.

1) My name is Mina-Who wants to write a book about an arrogant t***? She is sooooo b***** smug because she has memorized a line of Blake and when the Home-Ed officer comes she quotes it and then flounces off and thinks the officer an idiot for not recognizing it. And then her home ed? I have been home educated, properly, and to see her drawing all day and baking clay models drove me mad! She was doing for work what I do in my spare time! What are here job opportunities? Penniless artist? A little b**** if ever I saw one.

2) Skelig-See above. Also a little plot analysis: A boy and girl find an angel with arthritis. Seems legit. Then he gets better and flies away. Seriously, Peter and Jane books are better then this.

3) Black heart blue-I had to read this for book club. Have you ever felt like screaming at a book? Have you read a book where the main character is an absolute dunce? I was screaming at her to run away! It didn't help she was the narrator: Reading through her cloud of idiocy gave me a headache. Also it is ripped almost wholesale from the book Abomination, then made worse. Firstly, in Abomination, the characters are younger. In black heart blue, to target the teenage audience, they are made older. But this means that, in the plot, she was supposedly homeschooled until recently, when she attended 6th form. But apparently her dad hadn't properly home schooled her at all but had mistreated her. Then how the f*** can she come in sixth form without an education? How does she get in? Seriously not thought through. Plus it has an amazingly similar ending to Abomination. As I say ripped wholesale, then made worse.

4)Vampirates-All of them. These are nothing but Prole Feed. The author got an idea that sounded good, and wrote four books about it. What he failed to notice was it was a c*** idea in the first place.

5) The tales of Beedle the Bard, Quidditch through the ages and Fantastic Beasts and where to find them. Why Rowling, why? First off the Harry Potter books are not as good as they're made out to be. There o.k. but nothing great. They got successful due to their easy reading, meaning 6 yea olds could read the first book. That puts the Potter reading age basically before ten. And of course the millions of illiterate tv watching couch potatoes who felt they were doing something clever just by picking up a book.
There was once a review on a book I read that said "Phillip Reeve makes J.K.Rowling look like Enid Blyton." Lets get this straight. ENID BLYTON IS MILES BETTER THAN J.K.ROWLING!
Anyway, the Harry Potrer books ain't that bad. But when J.K. decided to write what is purely a money making spin off I got slightly p***** off. The books, supposedly gratified on by Ron and Harry, are nothing but overpriced fan-serving trash.

As I said before, haters of Mrs Pepperpot will be shot.
You know that studded leather armour in films? Nobody wore that. I mean, how would metal studs improve leather armour?

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:53 am
Dbrd231 says...

Oh, gosh. Do I even have five? I can think of some off the top of my head:

The Great Gatsby. Before you say anything, let me explain. Two words: Nick. Carraway. The story itself was beautiful, and it could have been a book I enjoyed, but ol' Mr. Carraway ruined it for me! He's just so boring! He's onesided and depressing and monotonous and he made me want to set something on fire (and yet there's a copy of the book on my shelf).
Godless. Eric Hautman, I think the author's name was. Something Hautman, I know that. Way to just drop an ending. It was rushed and it just didn't fit; the book cruised and then crashed into a wall that said "Fin".
Catcher in the Rye. Holden Caulfield: arrogant, self-centered, apathetic, simply unlikeable. Not to mention the book from the start didn't seem to go anywhere at all.
Outcasts and the Guild of the Orbs by David Louis Mefford. This had to be a first draft; there were just so many typoes and grammar mistakes!
Carrie by Stephen King. It wasn't bad writing-wise but Mr. King, is it necessary to rip out my heart, shred it into one long piece of muscle string, make a ball out of it and give it to a cat? The movies were all good but the emotions he put into Carrie and those around made me want to set many things on fire. I'm still trying to fix the hole this one left in my heart.

Oh, look. Five.
THEY'RE ALL GONNA LAUGH AT YOU!! - Margaret White (Carrie, 1976)

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:11 pm
BluesClues says...

First, let it just be said that all y'all who hate Pride and Prejudice can give your copies to me, because I adore that book.

Emma, not so much.

But anyway, my list, in no particular order:

Uncle Tom's Cabin, Harriet Beecher Stowe. Yes, I KNOW it's a classic, and I GET that it was basically the abolitionists' Bible, but it's a big long book of BOREDOM. Halfway through the book, the only thing that has happened to the title character is that he's been sold south. GET ON WITH THE STORY, WOMAN.

Forsaking All Others, Susanne McCarthy. It's a Harlequin romance novel, so...that probably explains it to you enough, eh? It was so bad it was good. Like, hilarious. Which is not the effect it was supposed to have, I'm pretty sure, and I'll certainly never read it again, so here it is on my list.

Inkheart, Cornelia Funke. I loved The Thief Lord, but I can't do this one. Meggie annoys me to no end. It's a good story, and I love the movie, but when I read it I just can't get past Meggie.

Born Confused, Tanuja Desai Hidier. I loathed this book. I had the choice to read this or "Does My Head Look Big in This" for a literary diversity class, and I should've gone with that one instead. I couldn't stand the MC of Born Confused, and most of the characters were so shallow and mean--not in the way they are in Gone with the Wind, but like you were supposed to like them...except they were really unlikeable, but the author's like, "Like my characters. LIKE THEM." Well, author-lady, I don't like them. They're mean. And shallow. And I can't stand them.

I Dreamed of Africa, Kuki Gallman. Admittedly, this one is non-fiction. This was one I SHOULD have liked, because I am and always have been unendingly interested in Africa, and the story is all about the author's life in Africa, but...no. SO MUCH TELLING. Like, all the author's friends are described as "unusually beautiful" (but obviously not, since ALL her friends are beautiful), and then later she has an affair with this guy and is telling you how wonderful he is, and I'm over here like, "He's cheating on his wife. I don't think he's that wonderful." And then she gets into this weird "I have always had a psychic vibe" thing that you just are not expecting from the outset of the story and the way it's categorized, and...it was just not an enjoyable experience.

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:43 am
BluesClues says...

I would like to amend my list and replace the Harlequin romance novel with Frankenstein by Mary Shelley, since I actually did enjoy the romance novel (if only because it was so laughably bad), whereas Frankenstein makes me unreasonably angry. I don’t know how I didn’t think of it when I originally wrote my list. UNREASONABLY ANGRY.

223 Reviews

Reviews: 223
Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:48 am
Kelpies says...

I was a major fan of the movie "How To Train Your Dragon". But the book I did not enjoy very much. But inspiration sometimes comes from places like that.
We are who we are, and if someone has a problem with that; that's their problem not ours.
I do believe that insane is the only way to go.

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:32 am
View Likes
Astronaut says...

TakeThatYouFiend, I'm not positive, but I think Rowling wrote those books for charity, which is why they were designed to make money.
I don't have a signature.

Spoiler! :
Bet you didn't see that coming...

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:04 am
Cole says...

Top Five Best Books I've Read (just for comparison):
Spoiler! :
5. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

-Complicated and truthful.

4. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

-Fierce and intimate.

3. The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri

-Beautiful.

2. Quo Vadis by Henryk Sienkiewicz

-Fiery and powerful.

1. A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

-Vivid and heart-wrenching.

Top Five Worst Books I've Read:

5. Full Dark, No Stars by Stephen King

-Cheap and distasteful (like most of his stuff).

4. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

-Grossly overrated and pretentious.

3. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

-Gloomy.

2. The Stranger by Albert Camus

-Boring.

1. 50 Shades of Grey by E. L. James

-Just... disgusting and ridiculous.

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:56 pm
QuentintheSad says...

5. The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins

I had to read it for a YA Lit course I made the mistake of taking.

4. The Coquette -Hannah Webster Foster

I try to avoid disliking a text because of the ideas it perpetuates, but there's only so much, "If you have sex, you'll die" mongering I can take. In other words, it was too contrived for me to find anything redeemable in it aside from its historical value.

3. Wintergirls - Laurie Halse Anderson

Anderson's prose is unreadable.

2. Three Rivers Rising: A Novel of the Johnstown Flood - Jame Richards

The protagonist was Young Adult Lit Archetype #1, and the poetry was without any trace of rhythm.

1. Divergent - Veronica Roth

The movie was atrocious, but better than the novel. Roth's prose... I can't even describe how bad it is.

1634 Reviews

Reviews: 1634
Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:21 pm
Deanie says...

I have found one more book that I couldn't stand, making this number four out of my five.

Trash by Andy Mulligan. I thought it was terrible boring, like nothing was happening all through the story. And then when they found what they were looking for, what they did with it was terribly ridiculous >< I was so annoyed that by the end of this I may or may not have thrown this book at the wall...
Trust in God and all else follows.

Deanie, dominating the world since it was cool @Pompadour, 2014
Your username reminds me of a hotdog @Stegosaurus, 2015
Tried to make puns out of your username, but every attempt has been Deanied @Candywizard, 2015

232 Reviews

Reviews: 232
Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:13 am
rainforest says...

@QuentintheSad HOW CAN YOU NOT LIKE HUNGER GAMES AND DIVERGENT?
this account proudly supports lgbt rights

417 Reviews

Reviews: 417
Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:40 am
Willard says...

@captainsaltwater Because he has an opinion

"Words say little to the mind compared to space thundering with images and crammed with sounds."

stranger, strangelove, drstrangelove, strange, willard

21 Reviews

Reviews: 21
Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:00 pm
View Likes
Clickduncake says...

Hm, five? I don't know if I can do it.

5. All the Dune books after the first. Don't get me wrong, I love me some Dune. But after the initial book, they just went downhill. I think it took me 5-6 sittings to get through the second as opposed to my single sitting I did for Dune which in trade paperback is over 800 pages long.

4. Crossroads of Twilight The Wheel of Time is one of my favorite epic-fantasy series ever, but the tenth book is just a drag. It barely progresses the plot, it's embarrassingly short, and it took me over a month-and-a-half to read.

3. The Death Cure What a bad ending. A insufferably terrible ending. I loved the previous books in the Maze Runner series but Death Cure was just such a let down after the setup's of the previous books. It doesn't even feel canon to me.

2. YA Contemporary as a whole. I absolutely hate this genre. The books therein are always appallingly boring and never any different. I go to fiction as escapism, to go to worlds I could never visit. To meet people I could never meet. To feel the satisfaction of a conclusive ending, not to read about my life. I don't want to read about what I do on a day-to-day basis, I want to read about Bridge-Four being awesome, not to read about Stereotypical-angsty kid #475.
Let alone I can write one, right here, right now, watch:
Hello! I'm Angsty! And that's my gay-friend Bob, who I'm going to be angsty towards. Look over there! School! Time for an angsty comment about how full of angst I am. Look! There's that totally hot-girl with no personality other than being hot! Holy crap! She's coming to talk to me for plot convenience! Time to be angsty! Oh wow! She's angsty too! The end.
I don't like this genre.

1. Diary of a Wimpy Kid I hate this series, with all of my heart. Not because they're bad books, they would be good books, if Greg Heffley wasn't the mental equivalent of a three month old. I mean, seriously, he's such an insufferable dunce that he can't make a good decision to save his life.
But that comedy! You scream from your couch. No, that's not. Read a Terry Pratchett book, he has smart characters that are far funnier than DoaWK idiocy.

Hehe, and that's it.
And if one more person puts Tolkien on this list for his prose-styling I'll kill them with a magical battery-charger forged by angels. So there.
Last edited by Clickduncake on Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in: I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot, and you think that of me? No! I am the one who knocks! -Walter White

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
— Bilbo Baggins