Young Writers Society

Top 5 Worst Books You Ever Read

106 Reviews

Reviews: 106
Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:53 am
View Likes
Funkymomo says...

1. War of the worlds
who knew there was that much you could say about walking through a martian attack? Well, this guy makes an alien war about as exciting as going to the store. LITERALLY.

2. Fahrenheit 451.
just no. NO.

3. Little Women. Tried to read it when I was a littler woman. Nix.

4. Maximum ride. It's not too bad, but I get sick if this girl wh thinks she's so much better than "normal people" and all their drama.

5. Wuthering heights

P.S. I don't hate all old "classics" , I like To Kill a Mockingjay, White Fang, and other old books, but some of these just irritate me. I mean, people on YWS now could write better stories.
Light one candle instead of cursing the darkness.

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:33 pm
View Likes
PrincessOfDarkness says...

5. Jake's Tower by Elizabeth Laird - Yaaawn. A bit pathetic really.

4. Ballad by Maggie Steifvater - Just wrong. Wrong.

3. Frozen Fire by Tim Bowler - Good, but the ending spoilt it ALOT.

2. The Skin I'm In by Sharon Flake - A good topic, but hard to read 'cos of accent. Yawn.

1. Whispers In The Graveyard by Theresa Breslin - I'd rather die than read it again. >.<
Signature Pending

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:19 pm
View Likes
AuthorOfMyLife says...

1. William Golding - Lord of The Flies (I was forced to read it in school, and I have never in my life read anything worse - maybe it was only because it was translated that I thought it was bad, but I really thought it was.)

2. L.J Smith - The Return: Nightfall (Book 5) (I thought the four first books were fine, and when I learned that she was writing on that series again I went right into a store and bought it. The book sucked so much! NOTE: Never restart writing on a series twenty years after the first book was written!)

3. P.C and Kristin Cast - House of Night: Awakened (Book 8) (This book is the absolute worst book in the series, and bad enough to make this list. I kinda' lost my respect for the books by the third book (Chosen) but I kept reading because something could get better in the next books. And they sorta' did. But then came this one, and if I hear that another of those books gets published I will have a fit, because that last book was completely horrifyingly bad, and nothing can make it better now, they've taken the series too far!)

4. Josefine Ottesen - The Crystal Heart (It's a danish book, so I just translated the title) (It's the first book of a trilogy, and it's so bad that you can't even imagine there can be more to the story, and not at all that there can be two more books. Thank god for those not living in Denmark, you won't have to read it!)

5. Stephenie Meyer - The Twilight Saga: New Moon (I know that I read all of the books in the Twilight Saga and wrote a continuation, but I still hated this book, I actually just hate Bella all the time. And in this book she is just so unbearably annoying and whiney.)
Be the change you wish to see in the world.
- Gandhi

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:25 am
Justlittleoleme says...

Well, I can't say that I've ever actually finished a book I didn't like...If I start getting bored or if I see something I don't like I simply put it down and forget about it...so I guess you could say that I've loved every book I've ever read XD

I'm especially fond of the older classics, and yes this includes Louisa may Allcot (Little women and little men), Emily and Charlotte Bronte'(Wuthering heights and Pride and Prejudice), Rupyard Kilping(I love all his stories XD ), Jules Verne(20,000 leagues under the sea and Journey to the center of the earth), Charles Dickens(The curiosity shop and David Copper Field...though I do find his stories a little wordy), etc. etc. What can I say, I LOVE the classics :3 ...

I also thought Watership Down was a very interesting book...if not a little depressing...(I found the animation fascinating when I was a kid, though I always thought the whole warren scene where they are all dying and starving to death was very disturbing...it still sticks with me today *shivers* )

133 Reviews

Reviews: 133
Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:34 pm
Starlight9 says...

um.... I can't mention 5 worst books I've read but here are some books that I didn't even intend to finish them because of how terrible they were written;
1. The Twilight Saga
2. Hotel Babylon by Imogen Edwards Jones and another unknown writer.
3. Any play written by Shakespear.
After reading the first two novels, I make sure I read the back cover or search for any book I intend to buy/read.
★L9

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:51 am
Vervain says...

Top five worst books... okay, I can do this.

1. Brisingr by Christopher Paolini. Oh dear lord, save me now. This book drones on and on and on - I skipped about half of it in the middle while I was reading, because I couldn't stand the endless thoughts and pointless descriptions and everything else. It was just BORING. I like the first book, and I have the first two on my bookcase, but I definitely liked Inheritance more when it was supposed to be a trilogy.

2. Uhm... that one book... way back when... *looks it up* I can't find it. But it was all about this one whiny girl going through some grade or other in - middle school? high school? - and whining because she wasn't popular and then becoming popular after she embarrasses herself because the popular girls want to laugh at her and having trouble with things like frickin' nose strips. Definitely not a favourite.

3. Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe. I had to read it for school last year, and I just could not bring myself to it. It didn't appeal to me at all, and it still doesn't.

4. Bloodhound by Tamora Pierce. Now, don't get me wrong, I adore Pierce's writing - all of it. It may just be that I haven't read this in a year or so, so I can't remember the good parts, only the bad/boring parts that most people probably don't notice anyway. It's probably a good book... just... my memory.

5. The... the Langdon books by Dan Brown. Please don't ostracise me. I mean, I liked the Da Vinci Code the most out of all of them, and normally I like the beginning or ending books more. I just kind of think it ended up a little silly, him dragging things out like that with facts and ideas.
stay off the faerie paths

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:18 pm
Laurence Branson says...

1. Toad Rage by Morris Gleitzman.
2. Megs by Mark Schwarzer
3. Nips XI by Ruth Starke.
4. Lonesome Howl by Steven Herrick
5. New Moon by Stephenie Meyer

It's not surprising that most of these books were obligatorily read for school.
The worse thing I can be is the same as everybody else.
A.S.

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:50 am
AlfredSymon says...

Why does everybodies hates the classics? *whimper*

Anyways, here are my top five:
5. A Wicked Ruse
What are they trying to point out, that cheap romance works great with historical fiction? Ugh!

4. Percy Jackson series
The first and last actually rock for me. But those book in the middle just...stinks. Forgive me for saying so. My friends hate me for that!

3. Twilight Series
Okay story, but very bad writing; it was as if I was reading a mentally retarted girl's mind.

2. Cheap pocket romance/gen. fiction pocketries
I don't know if every country has them, but here in my place, thin, local erotic romances are a knockout especially for ladies. For me, their the lowest kind of fiction. What happened to ART?

1. My Physics book
We don't even use it anymore.
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

180 Reviews

Reviews: 180
Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:55 am
Cspr says...

Hmmm. As it's been awhile since I last posted...

1. Evernight.
Because halfway through the book you learn the MC is a special vampire, and before this you thought it was just a cool Gothic mystery and, oh, wait suddenly vampires.

2. Twilight sigh-ga.
Badly written (see: Reasoning with Vampires tumblr for full explanation) and filled with horrible things (see: Mark Reads Twilight).

3. Inkheart.
Slowest book ever.

4. Inheritance cycle.
Combining Tolkien and George Lucas in an interesting but eventually extremely annoying way.

5. The Hobbit.
Too slow. I really don't care that much about the smoking habits of short humanoids.

6. Warriors books past the first two arcs.

And, as always, My Immortal wins worst fanfic ever.
My SPD senses are tingling.

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:02 am
View Likes
Iggy says...

People are hating on Harry Potter and Percy Jackson?!

/Iggy RAGE!

>_> Ahem. In no particular order:

1. House of Night series by P.C. and Kristen Cast - I hatehatehate Zoey! She is so stupid and ignorant (haha, I know, pun)! Ugh, I really think the books are terribly written, yet I still keep reading because I want to know what happens. But they really do stink, so don't read them, unless you like a dumb "heroine" who can't pick between five guys, is ridiculously idiotic, and ugh. Just ugh.

2. 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher - Stupidest books ever about a senior girl who commits suicide and leaves 13 tapes behind, for 13 different people, saying why. Just. No. Her reasons were stupid.

3. Crash Into Me by Albert Borris - Again, suicide book about four teens who meet online and decide to take a road trip. Designated stops? The grave of famous people who killed themselves, with the finale in Death Valley, CA., where they plan on killing themselves. It was stupid and, again, had idiotic reasons to kill themselves. SPOILER ALERT: They didn't do it, in the end. Disappointing.

4. Evermore series by Alyson Noel - I dunno. I used to love that series. Now it makes me mad. I've had the finale book for the longest time and still haven't got around to reading it. >__<

5. Texts books - Well, duh.
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

21 Reviews

Reviews: 21
Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:25 pm
View Likes
Empress says...

Wow I cannot believe people are actually besmirching the names of Austen, Dickens, Herbert, and Bronte to name a few. Have you all completely lost your minds??? These cannot be your truthful, objective opinions. Maybe you should go back and read them again!

I don't usually read a book I know I wouldn't enjoy, but I also rate and review the books I read. My lowest rating was for:

Linger by Maggie Stiefvater.

The plot had potential and there was a defined style and some nice phrasing here and there, but ultimately the quality of the writing was poor and it just wasn't engaging enough.

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:31 pm
Laminated says...

I could actually cry from the amount of Eragon hate here :( That's like, my favourite series, guys.

Especially the later books...

Also! Who be hating on Artemis Fowl??! Another series I loved!

I find it difficult to think of books I didn't like, as I never remember them; I usually only remember series/books that I enjoyed. Only one comes to mind right now:

[i]Heart of Darkness[/i] by Joseph Conrad

Ugh. It felt like a massive, anticlimatic, disturbing, egotistical waste of time. I did not like.
I'M GUNNA MAKE DIS PLACE YO HOME

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Sun May 11, 2014 10:10 am
Elinor565 says...

5. Naughts and Crosses The writing style was dull and lazy.
4. Breaking dawn this is the only Twilight book I've read. I still regret it.
3. The entire Phoenix files series it starts as an action packed suspense-filled thriller. It finishes as a cheesy unrealistic second rate hokum. I want my money back.
2. Black beauty I read this when I was a kid. I still dislike horses.
1. The awakening The worst book I have ever read. It is absolute trash. Written in the early 1900, this piece of hokum is about a woman who is bored of her husband so goes and leaves him and her children and starts an affair with not one but two men. Kate Chopin is a waste of graveyard space.
"Writers live twice.”
—Natalie Goldberg

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Sun May 11, 2014 10:15 am
Elinor565 says...

ZeroKelvin wrote:
5. Absolutely everything ever written by Enid Blyton. Ever. Including all of her post cards, tax returns, and more. Every word she ever wrote was poor, including 'and' and 'the'.

I agree.
"Writers live twice.”
—Natalie Goldberg

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Wed May 28, 2014 4:44 am
Holysocks says...

Heh, I seem to attract terrible books...

5. Angels Turn Their Backs. The author kept me reading... and yet, at the end I wondered why I wasted all my time!

4. Unearthly. Entertaining. But terrible ( it's not really all that bad, but it bothers me )!

3. Heart Land. I liked, no, loved horses when I was a just a squirt... so my aunt started me on the series. It was OK at first, but then it was mostly about the MC's crush, and that turned me off. You'll find that most little kids dislike romance with a vengeance. I still can not handle reading that series. Though, I do appreciate my aunts thoughtfulness.

2. Waterfall. The author seemed to like the idea of flawless characters; flawless features, perfect skills, perfect love interest, flawlessly convenient abilities and plot twists...

1. Bun Heads. This book was writing over a year, and was just as slow and choppy as a year suggests. The author started off every chapter: A week later I was in the dressing room... Or The next month I was still eating too much and... Or I'm still angry with my awesome boyfriend... *Warning: Sarcasm*
Anyway, I just really disliked it. :-P
100% autistic

Understanding is the first step to acceptance, and only with acceptance can there be recovery.
— Albus Dumbledore