z

Young Writers Society

Window Characters

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:39 pm
angelwings13 says...

Okay, so one of my main characters isn't going to meet his window character until he reaches a certain destination. Which won't be until the middle of the story. Is that okay? I'll be bouncing around POV's for my 5 main characters and that includes the "window characters", but in a way since they all come in contact with each other that makes them all window characters in some ways. So as long as I bounce around the POV for each, this would be okay?

675 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 675
Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:47 pm
lilymoore says...

Honestly, it’s your story. You can do whatever you want.

I’m using multiple POV’s through my NaNoWriMo novel right now and it’s really been a lesson of figuring out timing. As long as you’re presenting each character’s POV at the right moment’s (not just cutting out of one scene randomly to another character’s POV in a completely unrelated scene) then I don’t think you have anything to worry about.
Never forget who you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:20 pm
Tigersprite says...

As lilymoore said, it's your story and you can do as you like. One of the most important things when writing multiple POVs is having a good rhythm, to again quote lilymoore:

As long as you’re presenting each character’s POV at the right moment’s (not just cutting out of one scene randomly to another character’s POV in a completely unrelated scene)

And the other most important thing, and this applies to just about everything in the literary world, you must be comfortable with your own characters. If you aren't comfortable with a character, get rid of them. And if you're uncomfortable with multiple POVs (I don't mean the first discomfort that occurs when you've never written in it) then don't continue to do so either. But if those aren't problems for you, go ahead and write a great story.

Good luck,

TIGERSPRITE
"A superman ... is, on account of certain superior qualities inherent in him, exempted from the ordinary laws which govern men. He is not liable for anything he may do."
Nathan Leopold

675 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 675
Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:17 am
lilymoore says...

For a little extra advice, check out Writersdomain's article on what she calls Island Hopping. Might be useful to you.
Never forget who you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.

The idea that a poem was a made thing stayed with me, and I decided then that I wanted to be an artist, not just a diarist. So I put myself through a kind of apprenticeship in writing poetry, and I understood even then that my practice as a poet was deeply related to my reading.
— Edward Hirsch