z

Young Writers Society

POV troubles

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:21 pm
angelwings13 says...

I am writing a novel, but i'm putting 4 POV's of the 4 main characters including the villain in the story. The thing is, is that my protagonist is pretty much not going to be exposed to the other 3 until much later on. How would I suddenly switch POV's? I was thinking of titling the chapters by their names so that there isn't any confusion. Is that a good idea or is there another way I could efficiently go about it?

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:30 pm
Elinor says...

You could do a number of things. Titling the chapters with specific character names would work! Also, another thing you could is try writing in diary format, and just have bold headings with each new person's diary. Or, you could try a third person omniscient style - the same way the Harry Potter books are written. The key, though, is to make it flow, and have it so we understand how the characters relate and you aren't just switching to different people at random times.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:56 pm
angelwings13 says...

If I did it in the diary format then I could introduce all my main characters besides the protagonist early on AND give the reader time to learn their personalities. Ah, thanks so much!

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:27 am
imaginemymind says...

I recommend splitting the novel into parts. Start the first sectioin of the novel with the portagonist and as the story advances you can introduce the characters in other sections. Or you can just start off with the protagonist and put the other POVs in chapters where you need them. Although I'm sure some people might disagree I think there isn't a specific structure when it comes to writing a story with many POVs . Just go with it. But definitley use chapters it's much easier :) Hope I helped
"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life. It goes on" ~Robert Frost

My blog where I talk everything book related : http://booksarewonderfulmagic.blogspot.com/

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:18 am
Rosendorn says...

Personally, I'd just switch PoVs without much of a heading to it.

My biggest sticking point about multiple PoVs is they all have to be different. Sentence structure, word choice, and the general perception on the events should change from PoV to PoV, which should make it rather easy to tell whose PoV it is. This goes double for first person, where you really have to have a solid voice. (My rule of thumb for PoV is, if the character's voice is unmistakable, and they are demanding to be written in first person, that is the only time to write in first person)

I'd also find a way to switch PoVs early in the story, because it can be rather jarring to suddenly have books switch PoV without expecting it. If it's going to be a consistent thing, really start the PoV switches early.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:49 pm
fire_of_dawn says...

One thing you shouldn't do is to abruptly change perspective for no apparent reason. I read a book that did that, and it still bothers me.
"Do? I'll tell you what we'll do! We'll be ready!"
Matthias, from Redwall

"Life consists of doing the impossible."
Brother Fir, The Heir of Mistmantle

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:48 pm
GryphonFledgling says...

This goes double for first person, where you really have to have a solid voice. (My rule of thumb for PoV is, if the character's voice is unmistakable, and they are demanding to be written in first person, that is the only time to write in first person)

This.

While any multiple viewpoint situation can be tricky, first-person narration is the most difficult to do more than one character in. The characters really, really have to have distinct voices. Third-person gets a little more leeway because you can cheat and put people's names in and it's very clear who the viewpoint character is because they are the one being talked about all the time. In first person, it can be difficult to decide who the speaker is, especially if there is more than one "I" in your story.
I am reminded of the babe by you.

There are those who say that life is like a book, with chapters for each event in your life and a limited number of pages on which you can spend your time. But I prefer to think that a book is like a life, particularly a good one, which is well to worth staying up all night to finish.
— Lemony Snicket