z

Young Writers Society

Common Cliches?

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:52 pm
leebass says...

What are the most common cliches you see in other people's writing? I'm just curious.

159 Reviews

Reviews: 159
Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:20 pm
MeanMrMustard says...

Mary-Sue/Gary Stu.
Any Manga genre in terms of theme improperly used in non mangaka styles or across cultures.
Movie themes improperly adapted to non-scriptwriting styles.
The Shyamalan Disease of Infinite TWISTS!
"I am going to mimic X famous writer and think it's somehow original and interesting" (sometimes good, 5% of the time)

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:23 pm
Stori says...

Er, do orphaned heroes count? One does tend to see many of those.

168 Reviews

Reviews: 168
Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:34 pm
LastPaladin says...

Heroes that have some wise old person who does next to nothing except try to sound enigmatic and mysterious. Another one is names that are impossible to pronounce, characters names after emotions that fit them, this can work if they're the opposite of it, like say Faith from Buffy.
You poor take courage
You rich take care
This earth was made a common treasury
For everyone to share
All things in common
All people one
We come in peace
The orders came to cut them down

Billy Bragg - The World Turned Upside Down

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:38 pm
Tigersprite says...

Teenage girl drifting through high school unnoticed until she is asked out/ falls in love with hot new boy/ captain of the football team.
"A superman ... is, on account of certain superior qualities inherent in him, exempted from the ordinary laws which govern men. He is not liable for anything he may do."
Nathan Leopold

72 Reviews

Reviews: 72
Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:55 am
Moo says...

Okay. This one is pretty overdone. Not to mention it makes me feel ill ;)

Girl meets boy. Boy hates girl. Eventually they are forced together by their unforgiving author. Suddenly, girl loves boy and boy loves girl, even though they have nothing in common.

The romantic fiction forum is so stuffed full of crap like this that I rarely evr dare to venture within any more. xD
“Poetry is old, ancient, goes back far. It is among the oldest of living things. So old it is that no man knows how and why the first poems came.”

--Carl Sandburg

159 Reviews

Reviews: 159
Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:37 pm
MeanMrMustard says...

Moo wrote:Okay. This one is pretty overdone. Not to mention it makes me feel ill ;)

Girl meets boy. Boy hates girl. Eventually they are forced together by their unforgiving author. Suddenly, girl loves boy and boy loves girl, even though they have nothing in common.

The romantic fiction forum is so stuffed full of crap like this that I rarely evr dare to venture within any more. xD

I blame the Shojo/shonen manga genres for further popularizing this.
Thanks for the notice about that forum, I'll steer clear. :smt001

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:55 pm
Nephthys says...

"Chosen One" prophecies. Nothing can just happen to a character anymore - obviously they need to be a part of some huge prophecy/ secretly the daughter of the vampire king.

If your plot is so horrible that you need to invent some kind of prophecy to justify it, GET A NEW PLOT.
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*- There is no sin except stupidity - Oscar Wilde -*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:27 pm
leebass says...

Haha, i agree about the romantic short story forum, although there are some gems occasionally.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:04 pm
Rosendorn says...

I don't believe there is such a thing as "cliche." Cliches are such because they work for one reason or another. It's how you use cliches that make them bad or good.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Reviews: 4
Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:07 am
View Likes
spencbailey says...

It's called fomula fiction. You know, "happily ever after" even though you don't use those exact words. And the whole "overcome a great obstacle" theme.

Many of the greatest works of literature ended with somebody dying and then life going on as normal or just downhill. Not all. But a lot. There was no happily ever after.

Rowling would never have Harry die and Voldemort take over the world and it all end. No, no. That's jumping out of the formula. Harry has to win (and does). Everybody knows it. The only reason it is a relatively good series is because everybody wants to know how he goes about doing it.
"You have enemies? Good.
That means you've stood up for
something, sometime in your life."
- Winston Churchill

239 Reviews

Reviews: 239
Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:45 am
MeadowLark says...

Cliches are fun and cool. Especially when written well with excellent characters, great storyline, etc. Anything, basically, that makes a good read a good read.

However, my favourite cliche is the fatherless hero/heroine. Mainly when they set out to find said long lost father [not when the father is dead]. It's the funnest to write/read.

I will say it. I love cliches when they are written well.
Purple light in the canyon
that is where I long to be
With my three good companions
just my rifle, pony and me

--- "My Rifle My Pony and Me"

367 Reviews

Reviews: 367
Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:50 am
Mizzle says...

Rosey Unicorn wrote:I don't believe there is such a thing as "cliche." Cliches are such because they work for one reason or another. It's how you use cliches that make them bad or good.

This.

MeadowLark wrote:I will say it. I love cliches when they are written well.

And this.

Take a cliche and make it your own, if you want. Just add some originality in there.
"Chase your dreams, and remember me, speak bravery,
Because after all, those wings will take you up so high."
-- Owl City, "To the Sky"
✯ ✯ ✯

180 Reviews

Reviews: 180
Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:35 pm
Cspr says...

Moo wrote:Okay. This one is pretty overdone. Not to mention it makes me feel ill ;)

Yeah. I don't date people I hate as a general rule. Ah, romance...as unrealistic as fantasy and science fiction...normally more so...and heck of a lot weirder than elves in space...
My SPD senses are tingling.

180 Reviews

Reviews: 180
Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:38 pm
Cspr says...

Nephthys wrote:"Chosen One" prophecies. Nothing can just happen to a character anymore - obviously they need to be a part of some huge prophecy/ secretly the daughter of the vampire king.

If your plot is so horrible that you need to invent some kind of prophecy to justify it, GET A NEW PLOT.

Unless it's "Warriors".
My SPD senses are tingling.

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
— Mark Twain