z

Young Writers Society

Science Fiction or Realistic?

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:01 am
MadameX says...

Hi Everyone,

I'm working on a novel in which three characters become vigilantes (with the whole mask and costume thing, by the way). They don't have superpowers, although one creates cool gadgets for them to use. It's set in current day, although probably about ten years into the future, but there are no major advancements in technology.

Would this be considered realistic fiction, since technically it could happen, or near-future sci-fi, since it never has?

P.S. This is a little like a debate my friend and I were having yesterday, about whether Batman (just Batman, not him workign with other superpowered heroes) would be considered science fiction or not. If you've got a response to this, too, please settle the debate.
[url]thelibrarygirl.blogspot.com[/url] Everything Weird Happens at the Library

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:03 am
Prokaryote says...

Neither. It's a superhero story.

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:30 am
Evi says...

A realistic superhero story. Ten years later with no technological advancements isn't enough for sci-fi, but really, you should be less worried about the genre and more about actually writing/finishing a good story!
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:55 am
Kibble says...

I'd say it isn't sci-fi unless the premise of the novel is actually the technology. Just like a book set in 2000 (where the time period isn't important) would not now be considered historical fiction. You don't need to worry too much about the genre unless you're in the process of looking for an agent/publisher.
"You are altogether a human being, Jane? You are certain of that?"
"I conscientiously believe so, Mr Rochester."
~ Jane Eyre

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:28 pm
Writersdomain says...

Don't worry about the genre right now! Write the story, and see what happens. Sometimes stories evolve on their own, and you'll have a better idea of where to place it once you finish it. So write it! And then make that judgement. ;)
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:40 pm
GryphonFledgling says...

I would say superhero stories are their own genre. It's obvious in comic books, just hasn't really breached the gap into written fiction officially.

And if you're looking for what genre to put it in here on YWS, you could always stick it in Action/Adventure.
I am reminded of the babe by you.

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:44 pm
MadameX says...

Yeah, I was wondering for posting reasons.
[url]thelibrarygirl.blogspot.com[/url] Everything Weird Happens at the Library

123 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 123
Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:55 pm
Vanadis says...

MadameX wrote:Yeah, I was wondering for posting reasons.

For posting reasons: Probably Action/Adventure (for the superhero thing) or General Fiction. But if there's a lot of tush-kicking in it, I'd say A/A.
We've got deep-fried water bears and horse wigs!

If you're slapped in Guam, you're slapped in real life. --chibibo

Need someone to review your novel? Why don't you try checking here? Buddy up!

Last time I checked, love had no gender.

The ink in which our lives are inscribed is indelible.
— Helena 'HG' Wells, Warehouse 13