z

Young Writers Society

Some basic writers to know - Updated

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Mon May 24, 2010 9:49 am
napalmerski says...

Here's a beginner's list of world famous thriller, horror, and detective writers who should be sampled as a start, as a stepping-stone for deeper research into each genre. I hope it's usefull!

UPDATE: In response to popular demand, ahem, thanx you guys, the list is now expanded. And there are even some silly colors. But this is the absolutely final version, no new authors will be added, although I know I missed tons and the genre divisions are somewhat arbitrary. I won't budge on this - it's already two pages long, on the verge of becoming messy and boring, instead of summarizing and motivating.
Plus, I'm lazy.

Enjoy!
Attachments
major authors, jazzed up.doc
(71.25 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
Last edited by napalmerski on Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
she got a dazed impression of a whirling chaos in which steel flashed and hacked, arms tossed, snarling faces appeared and vanished, and straining bodies collided, rebounded, locked and mingled in a devil's dance of madness.
Robert Howard

675 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 675
Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:45 am
lilymoore says...

Yowsers, this is a cool list, Napal!

Did you put it together yourself or find it somewhere else? It would be really cool if there were other genres included in here too though.
Never forget who you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:33 pm
Krupp says...

Dangit, somebody beat me to making a list...but a nice one it is, Napal.

I'd only throw a few more names in there:

Mark Z. Danielewski (Thriller/Horror/Epic)
Charles Bukowski's novel "Pulp" (A parody of Spillane's crime fiction works)
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

"Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood."
— George Orwell, 1984