z

Young Writers Society

When writing, what is your most difficult challenge?

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:07 am
fading-dream says...

Definitely pacing. I'm constantly concerned about it. I think this stems from my internal debate as to whether or not to start a novel or short story. Generally, I find short stories a breeze to write. The problem comes from when I start a novel and then it turns all sci-fi. I hate sci-fi, so I end up dropping it.
Current Project: Otherworld (Novel) - 11,000 words so far
Latest Story: Overflowing Emotions.
Past stories: Burning Apart, The Beast, Binding Darkness - Ch. 1, What David Taught Me, The Banquette, Mirror of Memories, Leaving Humanity, Little Green Men, Six Days

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:28 am
emoinpink says...

Trying to take something amazing you've planned out in your head and translating it to paper. Not because it's hard to describe, but because my short-term memory sucks balls. Even if it's just one page of dialogue. ESPECIALLY if it's just one page of dialogue, because I usually forget the links between one subject of conversation and another. Like, "Wait, how do they go from discussing spaceships to discussing marriage? I knew this!"
We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance.-Japanese Proverb

Random avatar

Reviews: 275
Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:42 am
Calligraphy says...

So true *sighs*

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:35 pm
Merlin34 says...

Showing emotion.
http://maxhelmberger.com/
Advice on writing, funny articles, and more.

150 Reviews

Reviews: 150
Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:29 am
Ross says...

I have to say it's more the cataloging of ideas. My brain has this weird tendency to shower me with alluring new ideas right when I'm smack-deep in the middle of a writing project. I'm slowly succeeding, though. I finished my first novel in August, so I know I can organize. xD
And we'll be a dream...

"Dee Dubbleyou." - BigBadBear

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:42 am
Shadowhunter14 says...

Adding depth to my characters, trying NOT to make them boring or stereotypical.

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:04 pm
View Likes
Island6 says...

The middle...And end.

I'm usually good at the beginning, because that's the only part I write before quitting :)
<3

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:02 am
View Likes
ElizabethFiction says...

The dreaded curse of writer's block -_-

69 Reviews

Reviews: 69
Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:40 am
Butterfly18 says...

Cohesion.
Flow of the scenes and chapters.
Pace, I tend to write fast paced action and inject the emotions and tension bit by bit.
And the climax. I get to that point and I'm so scared of it and the effect its about to have on my characters.

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:32 am
iampaulop says...

First, grammar... English is not my native tongue so yeah, I find it very diffucult challenge

Second... Imagery and descriptions. I dont know but when I first posted here at YWS, that was my major problem :D

Third... procrastination :P

I think that's all ^_^
It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities

Paul Zione

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:35 pm
ArahAkachi1 says...

My main problem is my description and imagery. I've been trying to make it more realisti lately and I think I've been getting better.
Writing your name can lead to writing sentences. And then the next thing you'll be doing is writing paragraphs, and then books. And then you'll be in as much trouble as I am!

180 Reviews

Reviews: 180
Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:00 am
Cspr says...

Showing and writing action. I can do description, pace, dialogue, world-building and character-building all pretty good, but most of my work has to be character-driven because I just write action terribly. It's all, "This happened...then this...then this...and finally this." :/
My SPD senses are tingling.

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:01 pm
AlfredSymon says...

Starting to write. Seriously, procrastination haunts me before I even start writing the word 'the'.
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:46 pm
Lauren2010 says...

My protagonists are always so passive, and I have no idea why. For some reason it's really hard for me to fix it, though.
Got YWS?

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:12 pm
rachaelwillson1 says...

I have such a problem starting a book when writing. I can never seem to find an appropriate way that hooks the reader successfully enough, that's why I normally wrote chapters from the middle of the plot first and then go back and write the beginning later. Please read the one I've just submitted...I need advice!

Thou call'dst me a dog before thou hadst cause. But, since I am a dog, beware my fangs.
— Shylock, The Merchant of Venice