z

Young Writers Society

When writing, what is your most difficult challenge?

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:38 pm
GryphonFledgling says...

Developing character relationships, specifically changing character relationships, without making it too heavyhanded. Having a group of characters go from being uncomfortable to really close. Yeah, it's the hardest part for me.

That and political intrigue. I can't write political intrigue to save my life. *headdesk*
I am reminded of the babe by you.

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:20 pm
Fishr says...

Finishing, and tense. Both are the suck.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

199 Reviews

Reviews: 199
Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:18 pm
smorgishborg says...

Ending without sucking.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
- Robert Frost

It cost $7 million to build the Titanic, and $200 million to make a film about it.
The plastic ties on the end of shoelaces are called aglets

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:58 pm
LookUpThere says...

The Plot. I'm two chapters into the story and then, "Wait a second... I have a better idea!" I can't even start Chapter 1 without another pop up.

153 Reviews

Reviews: 153
Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:01 pm
View Likes
Jagged says...

Seconding on plot being hard. I seem incapable of writing anything longer than three thousand words without getting discouraged or losing interest mid-way through.
Endings too. Agonizing over the last sentence of a story gets tiring.
Also, my hate for dialogue is unending. I just can't make it sound natural, no matter how much I try. I've been working on it, but my abilities in that field are still dismal.
Lumi: they stand no chance against the JAG SAFETY BLANKET

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:04 am
Hydey says...

Finishing it. Ug, once I start a story, I rarley finish it. Also, trying to get myself to present it to others. Yeah, :oops: I'm shy like that.
“Take one fresh and tender kiss
Add one stolen night of bliss
One girl, one boy, some grief,
some joy Memories are made of this.”
Johnny Cash

130 Reviews

Reviews: 130
Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:48 pm
*coco says...

Same as Hydey, I'm having SUCH a hard time finishing my novel which is really sad because 1) I love it and I want to see it finished, 2) I know what I have to do to complete it but for some reason I'm finding it really difficult to project what I have in my head, onto the computer screen :x

I've always found this difficult, but I think in the course of writing my novel I've realised how big of a problem it really is. My advice to anyone wanting some; don't start a novel if you're a new writer! Short stories are the best way to find your voice and develop your writing. Gah, if only someone would've told me that before :(
"Do you know what my heart says now? It says that I should forget about politics and be with you. No matter what. You're a true Queen, a Queen any King would kill for." - Prince Francis ♕

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:22 pm
Krupp says...

For me, the problem has always been having the sin of ADD. I can come up with a universe of ideas and expound on them and complete and entire novel in my head; the trouble is actually getting it down on paper and writing it.
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

197 Reviews

Reviews: 197
Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:38 pm
Jetpack says...

I only write short stories, but that's because I can't write a decent plot-driven piece to save my life at the moment and I'm so guilty of purple prose sometimes. I've got better at avoiding the latter, I think, over the years, but now I just stick to short, descriptive stories. I haven't written anything over 1500 words in a few years.

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:15 am
guitargirl says...

I have to many problems to name but, here are a few:

1) Beginning it. I seriously take at least 2 months to write a chapter of anything I make. Creating the characters and making other people know the characters before any action happens.
2) Like someone said, the tone of voice. When I have a sarcastic tone of voice one day, it turns into a emotional tone the next day.
3) I try editing before I'm even done it. Then, I usually start writing something else and I never finish anything else.

--Lise
"Stay awake,
Get a grip and get out you're safe,
From the weight of the world,
Just take a second to set things straight,
I'll be fine, even though I'm not always right,
I can count on the sun to shine,
Dedication takes a lifetime, but dreams only last for a night."
-All Time Low

286 Reviews

Reviews: 286
Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:09 am
silented1 says...

Properly refining the ideas. Without ruining the poem.
[quote]If it's arguable, then it probably is." - Xeriana X

Link to my will review for food thread: topic71713.html

Random avatar

Reviews: 275
Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:05 am
Calligraphy says...

Everything except those few hours every few days when I just write and write without stopping.

Reviews: 3
Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:37 am
AuroraOrodel says...

TIME! Being in college has done a real number on my writing. In high school I could write for hours, but now I hardly have an hour to do my homework! I have to wait for gaps between when I'm working on shows or projects to really write, and it's depressing.
"You cannot pronounce as knowledge anything you cannot demonstrate."
~Margaret Atwood

"The good writers touch life often. The mediocre ones run a quick hand over her. The bad ones rape her and leave her for the flies."
~Fahrenheit 451

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:18 am
cannoncomplex says...

1. male characters...I have a hard time on how to make them realistic. Even if i make one, i always have the sense that they act feminine or not too masculine. I can make excellent female characters but not males.

2. the first drafts are killers... especially if the context fade out as time passes.
Lain Iwakura: If you're not remembered, then you never existed.

159 Reviews

Reviews: 159
Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:52 pm
MeanMrMustard says...

I would have said first drafts a long time ago, but something occurred between point A and point B that has long removed the difficulty there. What happens now is that each story presents itself and has its own unique problems. Once I figured out what my "voice" was, it's conquering the theme in both plot and writing that became the challenge; now it just comes naturally. If the story is decent enough and I handle the mental half of writing first, it more or less writes itself in a skeletal version. Now the most difficult part is making sure the presented draft to whoever reads it is reflective of my abilities, quite nerve wracking as I'm sure everyone knows. :? An additional pair of eyes and an unbiased mind is the source of the greatest advice a writer will ever receive, IMO.

He began to wonder why he had felt uneasy at all. It was like a man wondering in broad daylight why a dream had appeared so terrible to him at night.
— Chinua Achebe, Things Fall Apart