z

Young Writers Society

When writing, what is your most difficult challenge?

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:50 am
LittlePetRock says...

For me it is the beginning of the book. Developing the story, introducing the characters, and evolving the plot, while keeping the reader interested without jumping in to the climax of the book too soon! Or, when I re-read over what I have written so far, everything reads amazing to me, then when I have it reviewed, I realise all the mistakes I made! Talk about feeling like an idiot!
Also, describing things without sounding like a fool or a really annoying lecturer.

What is your most difficult challenge, and how are you changing it?
Star light; star bright,
It is time to take flight.
Off I go through the dark of night.
All my hopes and dreams in sight.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:52 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

Stopping the procrastination long enough to write.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

193 Reviews

Reviews: 193
Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:01 am
AngerManagement says...

Finishing the book, i just get bored and forget about it. :D
Dont tell me the moon is shining, show me the glint of light on broken glass.

Anton Chekov

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:29 am
View Likes
Sarah Pass says...

Beginning and ending.
Giving in is easy,fighting for what you believe in is the hard part.

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:50 am
FlyingInEbony says...

The most difficult challenge for me is working on my style of writing and developing the characters and the plot the way I want for them to appear to my audience. For example, if I have an urge to start a short story sometime around midnight (that only happens if my muse didn't call it a day), I know that the next morning I'll have trouble finishing my story with the same voice that I have used the night before. Then I have to provide the same inspiration so I can try, at least, to write more or less successfully. It's also a matter of habit for me to write something in two or three days, be proud of it, and then despise that piece of writing I have just created for all the eternity. I enjoy the writing process and the writer's blocks that I overcome, but once I'm done with the story, I just want to throw it somewhere deep and bury it so nobody would ever discover what I wrote. Does anybody else feel like that? :thud:
"You stand on the brink of greatness. The world will open to you like an oyster. No... not like an oyster. The world will open to you like a magnificent vagina." - "Bullets over Broadway", Woody Allen, Douglas McGrath

Random avatar

Reviews: 110
Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:29 am
Karsten says...

I like this topic.

Like LittlePetRock and Sarah Pass, I've had a lot of difficulty with openings. My instinct is to write fast-paced, in medias res opening scenes where the inciting incident happens almost immediately - which requires adding just the right amount of setup to make the plot make sense. I must have rewritten the opening to my urban fantasy fifteen or twenty times. More setup. Less setup. Slower. Faster. And on and on. But I feel like I'm finally learning to write good openings. :)

Revision is the bane of my life. I do very drastic revisions - I've ripped out the setting, plot and antagonist all in one go before, and had to rewrite the story basically from scratch. It's like pulling teeth. :(

553 Reviews

Reviews: 553
Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:11 am
MiaParamore says...

For me it is the beginning of the book. Developing the story, introducing the characters, and evolving the plot, while keeping the reader interested without jumping in to the climax of the book too soon.

I don't find the problem with this.

Finishing the book, i just get bored and forget about it

Yes,I get bored halfway and sometimes while writing I change the climax. Bu tha's all part of the job,right? I hate describing.
"Next time you point a finger
I might have to bend it back
Or break it, break it off
Next time you point a finger
I'll point you to the mirror"

— Paramore

123 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 123
Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:45 am
Vanadis says...

It's really hard for me to write something I feel is post-worthy. So whenever I do post, it's usually because people talk me into it. And I never feel like it's ready. I seriously write, read over, edit, read over, edit...scratch the WHOLE thing, re-write...over and over. The hardest thing for me is being satisfied with my writing.

How do I change it? I just keep trying.
We've got deep-fried water bears and horse wigs!

If you're slapped in Guam, you're slapped in real life. --chibibo

Need someone to review your novel? Why don't you try checking here? Buddy up!

Last time I checked, love had no gender.

134 Reviews

Reviews: 134
Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:52 am
Hippie says...

You said it Snoink.

I also hate starting from scratch. If I've already got an idea for a plot or a character in my head it's fine. If I have neither, I find it impossible to start. What should the plot be? Well that depends on the character. Who should the character be? Well how do I know, I need to know what plot I'm putting them through to make that decision. Grrr. Fortunately ideas for plots or characters spring up out of the blue frequently enough that I haven't had to write a novel with a blank slate, but it does keep me away from the short stories more than I'd like - but not today. *does Napoleon Dynamite style Yesss!*
Q: Where do you go to buy shoes?

A: At the shoez canal, lol.

77 Reviews

Reviews: 77
Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:00 am
whatevr says...

I just suck all together, i never finish things, i swap tense, and yeah... xD
Literally whatevr

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:25 pm
Rosendorn says...

Two main things for me:

- Being subtle with emotions and character relationships. I'm so tempted to shove it all in the reader's face as soon as it happens. Much better to let them figure it out on their own.

- Not infodumping! Grah. It's a tie-in to the one above, but this point covers infodumps on plot, setting, situation, description as well as characters. If you've read the first posted part of Cat Steps, you'll know what I'm talking about. :P
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:23 pm
MagnusBane says...

Beginnings are really, really hard for me. And finding things to write about is hard too. I think my muse went on a permanent vacation
“Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.” Anton Chekhov

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:37 pm
PhoenixBishop says...

I'd have to say the middle is the hard part for me. I always know how I'm going to begin and end. It's filling in the middle that is hard for me.
This is one little planet in one tiny solar system in a galaxy that’s barely out of its diapers. I’m old, Dean. Very old. So I invite you to contemplate how insignificant I find you.

Death~

Random avatar

Reviews: 110
Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:49 pm
Karsten says...

PhoenixBishop wrote:I'd have to say the middle is the hard part for me. I always know how I'm going to begin and end. It's filling in the middle that is hard for me.

Have you tried planning a major dramatic event in the middle of the novel? I find it helpful to always be building up to a game-changing event. That way I stay focused on the rising tension and don't get bogged down in the middle.

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:44 am
Kibble says...

Probably the climax. Ever since I was really little I've had trouble bringing the action scene to a really super high point, somehow believing that there had to be this moment, the infinesmal tip of that action graph. But I think I'm slowly figuring it out... it tends to be a scene more than a single instant.
"You are altogether a human being, Jane? You are certain of that?"
"I conscientiously believe so, Mr Rochester."
~ Jane Eyre

It's unsettling to know how little separates each of us from another life altogether.
— Wes Moore, The Other Wes Moore