z

Young Writers Society

need help with knowing more about a subgenre.

Reviews: 1
Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:29 am
Abel24 says...

I'm more of a Gothic fiction writer and I heard about a "rare sub genre" by the name of Paranormal romance does anyone know anything about it? (without Wikipedia.)

Abel24.
“One of the hardest things in life is watching the person you love, love someone else.”
- Unknown Author

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:57 pm
Rosendorn says...

*Moved to Fiction Discussion and Tips*

To answer your question, I believe the Twilight saga falls under the Paranormal Romance sub-genre (I heard it did, anyway). Just looking at the name I think that's right. "Paranormal creatures/activity" are usually some horror-based myth (Ghosts, werewolves, vampires, aliens, alien abductions), therefore, Paranormal Romance is when there's love/lust between paranormal creatures, and maybe a human. Didn't look up the definition, so it could be only between a paranormal creature and a human, but I'm not sure.

Logically, if there are horror-based creatures, then it's dark fantasy. I'm trying to think of a book that might fall under that and I keep thinking of Wicked Lovely. Where an evil fairy kidnaps a girl because he wants her. (I could be mixing up titles. Books in that series get blended together in my head)

Hope this helps!

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Random avatar

Reviews: 110
Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:39 pm
Karsten says...

Paranormal romance is very far from a rare subgenre - it's enormously popular and selling very well at the moment. It's a sister of urban fantasy. Both genres are set in the real world but with a paranormal twist, eg. vampires walking the streets of New York at night. The difference is that paranormal romance is driven by romance and urban fantasy is not. Both genres are female-dominated with female readers, writers and protagonists. Major-league bestselling authors like Charlaine Harris and Sherrilyn Kenyon are shifting millions of copies in this field.

edit: Yeah, I'd describe Twilight as YA paranormal romance. It follows the classic paranormal romance model: normal human girl falls for supernatural bad boy, drama ensues.

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:00 pm
Bickazer says...

edit: Yeah, I'd describe Twilight as YA paranormal romance. It follows the classic paranormal romance model: normal human girl falls for supernatural bad boy, drama ensues.

I'm wondering if there is such a thing as a paranormal romance in which a human boy falls for a female supernatural character. I don't see many of those around and it would be interesting to read (especially if told from the girl's perspective). Sadly the only examples I can think of are in the magical girlfriend genre of anime, which don't usually have the most forward-looking views on gender. Granted, I am not terribly well versed in urban fantasy.

I doubt such a thing is common, since, as you said, the genre is read mostly by girls.
Ah, it is an empty movement. That is an empty movement. It is.

Reviews: 1
Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:32 am
Abel24 says...

well, I might be able to make it work that way Bickazer. I know tons of girls that always ask me how the male mind works. So I might try that wut do all you girls think?
“One of the hardest things in life is watching the person you love, love someone else.”
- Unknown Author

Random avatar

Reviews: 110
Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:55 pm
Karsten says...

Bickazer wrote:I'm wondering if there is such a thing as a paranormal romance in which a human boy falls for a female supernatural character. I don't see many of those around and it would be interesting to read (especially if told from the girl's perspective). Sadly the only examples I can think of are in the magical girlfriend genre of anime, which don't usually have the most forward-looking views on gender. Granted, I am not terribly well versed in urban fantasy.

As I understand it, this model is very rare in urban fantasy and paranormal romance. You could write a thesis about the existence of entire subgenres dominated by pairings of young women and powerful, aggressive, dangerous older men.

Abel24 wrote:well, I might be able to make it work that way Bickazer. I know tons of girls that always ask me how the male mind works. So I might try that wut do all you girls think?

Having a Y chromosome doesn't automatically make you awesome at writing male characters. Just saying.

Paranormal romance is a subgenre of romance first and foremost, and therefore it's overwhelmingly dominated by female protagonists, due to the equally overwhelming dominance of female readers. I'm not sure you can sell a romance with a male protagonist. Of course saleability may or may not be your concern. But if you intend to write a romance, be sure that you're familiar with genre conventions - if you don't know what an HEA or HFN is, for example, you probably need to do a little research before you begin.

If you're planning to write urban fantasy with a male protagonist, you might find it helpful to pick up the king of male-protagonist urban fantasy, Jim Butcher.

(I've written an urban fantasy with a male protagonist and another male viewpoint character. It was fun.)

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:17 pm
Merlin34 says...

Also, where are the paranormal romances with creatures besides vampires, werewolves, and angels? I want a VALKYRIE, dammit!
http://maxhelmberger.com/
Advice on writing, funny articles, and more.

123 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 123
Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:41 am
Vanadis says...

Merlin:

I normally write Norse-based things, so one day, I shall have you a story about a Valkyrie. 'Til then, I recommend Tolkien's "Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun."
We've got deep-fried water bears and horse wigs!

If you're slapped in Guam, you're slapped in real life. --chibibo

Need someone to review your novel? Why don't you try checking here? Buddy up!

Last time I checked, love had no gender.

“I'd much rather be someone's shot of whiskey than everyone's cup of tea.”
— Carrie Bradshaw