z

Young Writers Society

Two ideas for NaNo

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:05 pm
PhoenixBishop says...

1.The first idea is loosely based off of my senior year of high school. In which five students fight to gain the spot of valedictorian so they can get into good colleges. I predict this will be a bit of a satire pointing out how crazy it gets when you're at the top of your class. The main characters will scheme their way to top, by lying and possible even physical violence.

2.The second idea is based off of research I've done. According to some legends werewolves are unavoidably evil and were-bears protect humans from them. So my idea is that a town is plegged by werewolves attacks and a man comes into the town and ends up being a were-bear. Basically a family is on a camping trip and they are attacked by the werewolves, were-bear steps in and saves them. The son of the family follows him into the forest and find out that he turns into a human. And that's all I've planned thus far.

Which sounds more promising
This is one little planet in one tiny solar system in a galaxy that’s barely out of its diapers. I’m old, Dean. Very old. So I invite you to contemplate how insignificant I find you.

Death~

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:50 pm
Evi says...

I think one could be quite funny, but I can't see that really hitting 50,000 words with just that idea alone. You'll need a good, heavy sub-plot to add some word count and another element. But it sounds like it could be full of hilarious antics, so. ;)

Two might be easier to write and complete, but I'm kind of so sick of werewolves right now that I just can't fathom reading another werewolf book, let alone writing one. xD However, that's your choice. It does give it a twist, though, with the were-bear.

^_~ That was probably very little help, but good luck either way!
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

Random avatar

Reviews: 6
Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:10 pm
navi2live says...

I think the second is more interesting, you could play with the plot and all. I think the were-bear stuff is a twist. I say go for the second one. the first seems vague and I don't think it could reach 50,000 words.

by the way, I'm also basing my story on werewolves. :~)
"the strongest weapon is the human soul on, fire" --Foch.

Random avatar

Reviews: 3
Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:59 am
Magic Man says...

I think no. 1 sounds good but probably won't get to 50, 000 words, however I think you should write it anyway.
With idea no. 2 I think the whole werewolf idea is getting overused so maybe if you are going to write it concentrate more on the were-bears.

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:31 am
GreenGiraffe says...

Hm, i like both, but do they have enough potential to make up 50k words?
i probably go with the werewolf one, but thats just me, i like supernatural stuff =]

There are quite alot of werewolf stories at the moment, so if you are doing that one, use were-bears instead.

My story is either about evil angels that have like some sadistic comedy or some kind of random fairy tale.
Click here to make a clicking sound

134 Reviews

Reviews: 134
Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:40 pm
Hippie says...

Number one sounds like it could be funny if you have the gift of humour. That will be the deciding point for number one. If you're a funny person you could do it. Otherwise it could potentially be like watching Days of Our Lives.

The second one could be interesting too, but you're going to have to watch out for cliches and bring something new and original in to set it apart from other werewolf stories. I'd say this one would be easier to get to 50k words.
Q: Where do you go to buy shoes?

A: At the shoez canal, lol.

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:17 pm
PhoenixBishop says...

yeah thanks, i see what you mean by the first being too short. I outlined it and included events from previous years but even then it seems like a random string of events rather then a plot. So I probably wouldn't make 50k,. So that idea is on the back burner.

Thanks all

So I think I will pick the second. I'm going to make it a off shot of my actual novel(note werewolves aren't in my actual book they are just mentioned) This way I can take the rules from my previous world and add it to this story.

My idea so far A newly wedded couple move to their the woman's old town to take care of her sister and brother after their father died in a accident. Mother disappeared when they she was young.

But trust me I'm annoyed with werewolves too so they will play only a small part. I will try to avoid cliche's I'm doing this by not having teen main character the main character are like 23-24.

The new family go hiking and somehow her brother who is 8 gets separated from the group and gets attacked by werewolves. The werebear comes in and saves the child and carries him off to his hut. I think I'm going to incorporate witch hunters, which are a big part of my actual story. And I plan on doing something with the mother but not sure what yet, and other such shifts.
This is one little planet in one tiny solar system in a galaxy that’s barely out of its diapers. I’m old, Dean. Very old. So I invite you to contemplate how insignificant I find you.

Death~

Who knew paper and ink could be so vicious.
— Kathryn Stockett, The Help