z

Young Writers Society

Fight Club

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:43 pm
Ray112 says...

I wasn't sure where to put this discussion exactly but i'd like to talk about the writing put into the movie fight club. Whether its a book or a script every movie starts with some form of writing and fight club's no exclusion. I really liked the story line in this movie but also I liked the inner angst in the characters and the quotes that were repeated through out the story it was all really well written. I just love psychological stuff like that. So basically when it comes down to it what i'm trying to ask is what do you guys look for in a storyline and why.
"Insert life changing statement"

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:13 am
empressoftheuniverse says...

Hey!
I answered this before but my Internet shut down so...
What I look for in a storyline?
Character development; an interesting plot, a mixture of sadness and sweet. My Sister's Keeper
I also like things of a whimsical nature. Series of Unfortunate Events.
I DO NOT like fangirly things that are made so you can moon over the actor/ actress.
Twilight, Transformers 2, 17 Again
Sometimes-- action mixed with cat-and-mouse games-- DieHard one. Double points for having Alan Rickman in it :mrgreen:
Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart.
*Le Bible
Royal Reviews Here!

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:22 am
Rosendorn says...

More than one lair! I highly highly dislike one-dimensional plots like a classic romance, (especially classic romance) or good vs. evil. Make it light gray vs dark gray, throwing in a romantic subplot in there and some psychology for good measure.

What I find is the biggest letdown for stories is when there is no complexity. The story doesn't push you one way, then the other, never really showing past the bend in the road. Stories where I can guess the plot/subplot really bore me and I stop reading them. Or, if I do know the plot, which is the case in some historical novels, the writing and subplots plots had better be very good in order for me to stick with them.

I like stories that have a catharsis to them as well. As in, they make me look at the world a little differently when they're finished. This can really be any story; even a rather "fluffy" read like chick lit can have catharsis. It might not be as much, but there can still be a change in the reader.

Psychological themes are another favourite of mine. This can be ask simple as facing fears or as complex as exploring who or what a person's soul is truly tied to. Psychology ties into catharsis, but it can also be its own element in a story.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:25 am
GregPugn says...

I haven't actually seen the movie Fight Club, but I have read the book. I would definitely recommend it. It has a unique writing style.
As far as your question, I always look for a story that can keep me surprised. Most of the time I find this with comedies. Especially with dark comedy, they normally have a unique view.
I like stories that give original characters. Books with original characters are the ones that you never want to end because you know that you can't find anything else like it.

The only person I know for certain I am better than is the person I used to be.
— CandyWizard