z

Young Writers Society

Writing Prompts you are using?

Reviews: 2
Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:28 pm
freewriter says...

Hello all! I am curious to what writing prompts you like to use? I just decided I wanted to be a writer not long ago, and I'm totally stuck on characters, how to develop them, and I can't seem to think of any topics that aren't so cliche they make me wanna puke. Any help? :(
"Mommy, why does that man smell like cheese?"

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:06 pm
Chloe(: says...

I don't think that this is the right place to put this topic, but of course I'll help you!

I don't know many specific writing prompts that are great, but I know some sites.
http://www.inkprovoking.com/
http://languageisavirus.com/writing_prompts.html
http://www.thestorystarter.com/
http://www.thescriptorium.net/sketch.html
http://www.katfeete.net/writing/specfic.php
http://jc-schools.net/write/create.htm
The Writers Digest prompts sometimes are good, too.

Most of these don't give you much of the story, because as a writer, it's your job to come up with the ideas. I use them mainly for inspiration, or how to get ideas that are mine, and mine only.

So, good luck!
Formerly known as Vivacious.

Full of Cliches:a challenge to see who can write a piece with the most cliches.

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:33 pm
defendthelegend says...

yeap they are good websites

Write about someone who had an embarrassing moment. (Fiction or Nonfiction)
Think about your favorite TV show or movie. Become one of the main characters and write a diary entry based on the last episode or, if a movie, based on a specific scene. Start with "Dear Diary,"
--Heidi Grassi, Nevada

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are an only child, what would your life be like (hypothetically) if you had siblings? If you are a sibling, what would your life be like (hypothetically) if you were an only child?

--Trina Grant, Alabama teacher

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once in a while you come across a special one, and you think, "There is an old soul." Write about your pet or make up an animal friend that has more than just affection behind their eyes.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What kind of person can catch your gaze for reasons other than their looks? Are they more beautiful in their personality and presentation, or are they simple, fearful, and only pleasing to the eyes on the outside? What's the difference?
Ever notice how two people can hear the same statement, and react two completely different ways? Think about running into an old friend, and how they might react to two versions of your greeting. They might remember you as a nice, interesting person if you say something one way, or they might remember how annoying you were one time if you say it differently.
--Hannah Jacobson, North Carolina teacher

Suppose pencils were never invented...

--Carla Annese, New Jersey teacher

Write a funny** story involving socks. (**You can change 'funny' to any emotion--sad or angry or mushy, etc, and 'socks' to any normally boring overlooked topic, but for some reason, socks seem to work best as a prompt.)
You wake up tomorrow morning and you're in your favorite book (or cartoon or movie or tv show). What happens?
Create a new character for your favorite tv show or book. Convince the creators that your character should be included in the next edition or episode. How? Why? What does this character offer that isn't already there? Why should it be there?
--Audrey deLong, North Carolina teacher

Several years ago I gave my middle school students this previously-used writing proficiency exam prompt: If your pencil could talk, what would it say about you?

My students love it, and they have modified it to this: If [fill in your teacher's name] pencil could talk, what would it say about you?

--Claire Legowski, Nevada teacher

If you could create a new US holiday that celebrates a person or event, what person or event would you celebrate? Include at least 3 reasons why your new holiday should be celebrated in the United States.

--Rachel Henkel, South Carolina teacher

Would you rather hearing a ringing in your ears all day or would rather have a bright spot in the middle of your vision all day. Give at least three reasons you would pick one over the other and why. You must pick one!

--Sean MacLellan, Oregon teacher

What trait have you inherited from your mother (father, grandmother, etc)? When did you know you inherited it?

--LouAnn Flanagan, Kentucky
I wrote your name in the sand and the sea washed it away! I wrote your name in my heart and there it will stay.

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:03 pm
Pretty Crazy says...

The way I get started is ask myself what I'd like to read about. Which is usually means writing about your interests. I'm interested in stuff with imagination and action, but not weird things like vampires. Keep an eye out for anything that catches your eye, and you may find that is what you want to write about. Remember to be yourself. Make up new cliches if you want!
One last idea, the best way to write . . . is to sit down and write!
Gooood luck!
Looking for someone who won't disappoint you?
Look to Jesus.:)

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:26 pm
Rosendorn says...

Well, I'd work on the character first. When it comes to plot, you can often make the same old plot very different because they characters are different and reacting in different ways. Rescuing somebody can be something very different if instead of a damsel, it's the son of a merchant. And instead of a knight in shining armor, it's the kitchen servant who was friends with the merchant's son and wants to save him.

See how the classic fairy-tale turns into something else with just some character changes? Characters are really the heart of fiction, so before going much farther I'd spend some time brushing up on character skills.

Some books I recommend are:

Character & Viewpoint, by Orson Scott Card
Character, Emotion & Viewpoint, by Nancy Kress
Dynamic Characters, also by Kress.
45 Master Characters, by Victoria Lynn Schmidt
The Writer's Journey, by Christopher Vogler

The last one is more on how to have characters grow over time, but it works well, I find.

Hope this helps!

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:39 am
empressoftheuniverse says...

You really should use writing prompt for practicing with word choice and playing around with your voice; for an actual story that you want to begin and end, and be readable, look to your own happiness and tragedy, you own fears and dreams. Write down lists of what you like, hate fear, and write stories about them Example for hate:
hospitals, twilight, long fingernails, cold, velvet, people with bad fashion sense.
Writing about socks can't turn into a story you truly love (unless, of course, you have a foot fetish) What you should write is something no one can help you with.
That being said, fanfiction is a good place to start. If you're so crazy about a world you want to unleash your own characters into it to play (or wreak havoc) that's how I got inspiration for my story.
Just some tips.
Meagan
Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart.
*Le Bible
Royal Reviews Here!

It is a happiness to wonder; it is a happiness to dream.
— Edgar Allan Poe