z

Young Writers Society

Oblivious charaters-

Should you let the reader know something important while a main character is left in the dark?

Yes
7%
No
21%
Depends on the 'something'
71%

Total votes : 14

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:08 pm
Evi says...

Recently I was reading a murder mystery, and one of the middle chapters revealed the murderer to anyone reading the book. However! All of the characters were still completely oblivious to what was going on, and I found it really annoyed me that I knew who-done-it but nobody in the book did.

But, in another book, someone is hopelessly in love with another of the main characters. It's painfully obvious (and actually kind of cute) to the reader, but whenever we get into the love interest's head, she has absolutely no idea. No idea. And, this kind of oblivious character was fun to read.

So, as a writer and a reader, I propose the following question to you all:

Should you let the reader know something important while a main character is left in the dark?

I'd just like to hear people's opinions.
Last edited by Evi on Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

273 Reviews

Reviews: 273
Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:27 pm
Explosive_Pen says...

Hey there Evi. You're question perplexed me. It's a real brain-twister!
I write in first-person, almost always. The only time I'll write in third is maybe for a class assignment. It's actually not impossible in first. You just have to make the reader see through the character's eyes what the character herself can't. Something like:

"He looked at me, his eyes studying my face, appraising me. They paused at my lips, then traveled up to look in my own eyes. The look was full of secrets and curiosities, hidden thoughts. He didn't look away, didn't break the connection, making me feel paranoid. Self-consciously, I brought my hand up to touch my cheek, cutting my eyes away and turning my head slightly. If there was something wrong with me, I didn't want him to have to look at it a second longer."

Here, it is clear that the male character has some secret love interest for the narrator, although the narrator herself is oblivious.

These kinds of implications - because really, that's all they are - are perfectly fine. They add interest to the story, and in first person, they allow you a glimpse into the minds of characters other than the narrator.

I realize that this is mostly mindless chatter and rambling. I shall shut up now, as clearly I am not making any sense. PM me with any questions.
"You can love someone so much...But you can never love people as much as you can miss them."

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:01 am
Krupp says...

Depending on the 'something' it might ruin a twist in the end. Say, there's something strange about the protagonist's friend, and the reader is intrigued. In the end, would you rather know about the friend being the protagonist's long-lost brother before the pro does, or would you rather find out at the same time? It's more entertaining doing the latter.
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

Reviews: 0
Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:40 am
rheiyapot says...

maybe no. so you have nothing to maintain and you can let your story flow the way you want depends on you mood. admit it. your stories change their tones everytime you change your mood.
i love you.. you hate me.. you're in love but not with me.. and my heart turn pieces and scatter cause of you.. when will i be happy too??
(new barney's song)

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:44 am
Rosendorn says...

I voted no.

I was reading one book, where the characters liked each other, and it was so obvious but neither of them were catching on! They even shared a mental bond where they knew each others thoughts/emotions and for the whole book they did not clue in that they liked each other. There was even a line in there about the girl noticing something the boy did in relation to her, and it was never taken farther. It didn't help I had read the back of a later book and found out those two characters got married later on. That, combined with the obviousness of the relationship, made me lose a huge amount of faith in that author.

In another case of "captain obvious" that I've come across, one character kept comparing somebody she was traveling with to her father. Combine that with a strange background for said comparee, and you have a guessed sub-plot. I actually stopped reading the book because it was just too obvious.

Now, if you hint at something to your readers and the MC has some clue as to what is going on, then that's more interesting. It's even more interesting if other characters don't know what the MC does, or they can't see it.

If you give away something half-way though and your MC is in the dark, then I will probably talk to your characters, telling them they need to smarten up. Their book might even get a through pounding by getting slapped onto a table or thrown onto the nearest chair, never to be read again.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:30 am
~Excalibur~ says...

A bit drastic...

Well, in any case here's my take. Sometimes it is okay, sometimes it is not okay.

I am going to draw upon the murder mysteries of Detective Conan. Usually you do not know the murderer unless you yourself put together the clues, which are all there, or have Conan put it together for you at the end. Usually twists, counter-twists and all sorts of things happen.

Other times you KNOW who the murderer is and you have to figure out how. Sometimes it could just be a suicide in the end, but the journey is in the discovery and plot of these murders. If the suspect is obvious and blatant, then the story becomes how it was pulled off even though several key alibis clearly conflict.

It all depends upon your skill as a writer. Can you write well enough to keep a plot interesting if the reader already knows the ending? Or do you want to keep twists and turns and keep the reader guessing with the characters?

For things like relationships, yes their is a limit to obliviousness, but usually this has to be solved sooner rather then four books later by someone making the first move. In my case it would have taken three books, just cause I was oblivious to her intentions and she was afraid of rejection, IRL. In books hopefully the MCs will be quicker then I.

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:12 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

Sometimes, it's frusterating, and sometimes, it works.

The key is that the character shouldn't look like the biggest idiot on the planet. Also, it can't kill reader suspense.

675 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 675
Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:58 am
lilymoore says...

I'm one of those sometomes people for one general example...Truman Capote's In Cold Blood. Though the readers know who commits the murder thoughout the entire story, the detectives and citizens don't. However, I really think this technique is only useful in murder stories.
Never forget who you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.

When your heart gets pierced with arrows, don't rip them out and pierce those around you in retribution for your hurt. You'll only unnecessarily wound others and bleed to death yourself.
— LadyMysterio