z

Young Writers Society

Help with my prologue!

89 Reviews

Reviews: 89
Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:59 pm
mimimac says...

Okay, so the beginning of the prologue is either this:

Waves battered a lone white building which stood along the coast of the Mediterranean. The outside walls were covered with sea salt, but the inside was covered with around an inch of dust and grime, for the scientists inside did not care about the conditions they worked in. They could hardly even hear the waves outside, due to the humming of the machinery inside the building itself.

or this:

A fierce storm had hit the coast again. This time even more aggressive than ever before. Thunder crashed and lightning lit up the sky. Wind buffeted and upturned trees. Rain fell in bucketfuls, forcing people living in the area to flee their homes. All, except for the inhabitants of a lone white-washed building. The huge waves battered it, plastering it with sea salt and yet, the scientists inside hardly noticed the terrible goings on of the outside. The hum of the machinery they were working on nearly blocked out all the noise, and they were too busy to notice it anyway.

Which do you think is the better one?
Thanks for the help :)
-mors aut honorabilis vita-

Forget the prince with a horse, I want a vampire with a volvo.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:19 pm
Rosendorn says...

Personally, I find that the second example has better imagery. The first example is telling-heavy and doesn't convey the same emotion as the second example.

Hope I helped!
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:22 pm
Evi says...

I agree with Rosey. The second seems to have better imagery and a more interesting wording.
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:27 pm
Snoink says...

Neither one catches my interest. I am wondering why exactly you're describing the weather when you can be telling us about the awesome stuff that the scientists are doing inside. :)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:45 pm
LlamaDuck says...

I think the second one. It has a lot of good description and has more feeling that the first. I don't think that Snoink is right in saying you should be telling us what the scientists are doing, leaving that as a question will make people want to read on and find out more.
Life's not a boomarage, if you throw an opportunity it's not going to come back.

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:12 pm
WaterVyper says...

I agree with Snoink, neither of the two really catch my eye. If I found something like that in a book, I'd be pretty bored. I'd recommend you start with a bang. I can't exactly describe it, but start with a thriller.
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

Random avatar

Reviews: 7
Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:50 pm
Merricat says...

Is the weather an important plot point (the scientists' experiments are going to get flooded and stop working properly, causing havoc) or simply a way of setting the mood? If the weather is NOT an important plot point, you shouldn't spend a lot of time telling us about it.

"People doing things" is almost always the best way to catch our interest. Our brains are structured to pay special attention to other humans, over weather or animals or anything else. I'd suggest you start with the scientists (you don't have to tell us exactly what they're doing, but start with them) and then put in any other information you feel is necessary.
Merricat, said Constance, would you like a cup of tea?

http://www.notadoor.livejournal.com

Random avatar

Reviews: 20
Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:58 pm
MySunshine says...

I personally liked the second one, as well. It just conveys the "fierceness" of the storm better and is much more ... let's say, appealing.

However, I also agree with Merricat. If the weather isn't important for the plot, you should not spend much time describing it and maybe start by describing what the scientists are doing.

Good luck! ;)
MySunshine
♥And if you go, I wanna go with you. And if you die, I wanna die with you♥

“It doesn’t matter what you are, it only matters what you do. It’s your choice.”
— Sam Winchester