z

Young Writers Society

Not Human

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:23 am
Stori says...

I have a problem. I need help getting into a non-human character's head. He's a cat-type.

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:47 am
Ohio Impromptu says...

Unless these cat-people have recently been discovered somewhere in the Congo, there is a very easy solution to your problem. Normally, you'd have to "get into someone's (or something's) head" to make the character more believable, but with a fictional species like the one I imagine you have in mind, there's no danger of it not being believable, because no one has ever been there before.

I would tackle this from a different direction. I'd first figure out what this character is going to need, personality-wise, to get through this story. Will he need to be astute? Will he need to have a sense of humour? Will he need to be gullible? That sort of thing. Once you've got everything you need, you can just fill in the rest of the space with things you want. For instance, would it make him more interesting to the reader if he had a gambling problem, or if he had a strange obsession with Marx Brothers films. These are obviously very bad examples, but I think you get the idea.

Another solution, and one that I give to any writer, poet, songwriter, artist, photographer and basically anyone I meet who has an artistic inclination, is to read 'An Actor Prepares' by Constantin Stanislavski. It's meant to be a tool for an actor to get into the head of a character on stage, but many of the exercises have been very valuable to me as a writer creating better characters. I don't know if there are any good book shops near you, but Amazon.com certainly has it in stock. That's where I got mine. 8)

Anyway, that's all I can say in answer to your problem. If you have any more questions feel free to PM me.
Gone, gone from New York City,
where you gonna go with a head that empty?
Gone, gone from New York City,
where you gonna go with a heart that gone?

152 Reviews

Reviews: 152
Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:40 am
Rubric says...

Hmmm I'm actually having a similar problem with a race of Daemons, and my mc in particular. For Ca-people I have to say that the above advice sounds good, but you could also throw in some cattish traits too. Arrogance, preening etc.

Are your cat-people solitary like some cats or pack hunters like lions? Work this into their more developed psyche's.

How would their being cat-people affect their personalities, how would it affect how they deal with humans, and cats for that matter? I'm thinking MIB here, where the Bug is lured back to earth by will smith stepping on cockroaches.

So yeah, hope I've been helpful.
So you're going to kill a god. Sure. But what happens next?

Diary of a Deicide, Part One.

Got YWS?

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:54 pm
Rosendorn says...

You have to keep other things in mind, not just personality in my opinion.

The main thing- Just how they see the world. Cats usually have a very interesting viewpoint (having grown up with cats my whole life, I have seen this countless times) and you have to figure out how they paradimes effect their view on others.

There is also physical vision. Cats have sharper eyes then humans, usually spotting details quickly and of course, they can see at night.

Hope I helped!
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:57 pm
fire_of_dawn says...

Thank you all.

Rosey-- I grew up with cats as well.

Rubric-- they're pack hunters, but being more civilized, they live in tribes. :twisted:
"Do? I'll tell you what we'll do! We'll be ready!"
Matthias, from Redwall

"Life consists of doing the impossible."
Brother Fir, The Heir of Mistmantle

Sometimes my life just sounds like surrealistic fiction being sold on clearance at the book store.
— J. G. Hammersmith