z

Young Writers Society

Short-story Writing

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:33 am
Stori says...

I'm kind of curios about this. Do you find writing short stories easier or harder than writing novels? Do you have to have the 'knack' for telling a story in fewer words?

369 Reviews

Reviews: 369
Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:58 pm
Conrad Rice says...

A short story is easier for me, because its length tends to hold my attention for longer. I usually write most of my short stories in a day or so, and I can concentrate on it much better. An novel, for me at least, tends to drag on and I lose interest after a bit. That's what's happened to my two previous attempts two write novels anyway (I'm crossing my fingers that my NaNo will turn out better.)
Garrus Vakarian is my homeboy.

Reviews: 4
Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:14 am
Plushoriam says...

I actually find novels easier to write as I can span an idea out over a good dozen chapters or so. I tend to try and cram a lot of ideas in too little space when I try to write a short story. But yes, short stories keep my attention more than novels, but there are some fanfictions out there that are like 20 chapters or so that have kept me hooked.

85 Reviews

Reviews: 85
Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:26 pm
~nariel~ says...

I agree with Plushoriam. With novels, you can span out the whole story over lots of chapters. I think novels keep my attention more as long as the chapters end with a cliffhanger, or I care about the characters, etc. It just has to be a well written novel. I know I don't have a knack for writing a story in fewer words. I just can't do it. It always starts getting longer and longer and I'm not good at getting to the point. :wink:

Good question.

Nariel
It's the very witching time of night.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:57 pm
Jiggity says...

Short stories all the way. I can do long pieces, but my heart lies in the short. Don't know why.
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

Believe that life is worth living and your belief will help create the fact.
— William James