z

Young Writers Society

Can we reorganize the fiction section?

Should we add a General Fiction board to the top of the list?

Yes
33%
No
67%

Total votes : 3

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:56 am
leparapluie says...

I am a former TYWC writer, and I came here because I wanted to start writing again. At TYWC, there was only a single fiction section, and there were no classifications between genres. I preferred it like that.

I've found that the genre classifications here are a tad bit annoying. Most good literature is not pigeon-holed within a certain literary genre. Where would Catcher in the Rye go if a young J.D. Salinger hypothetically posted here? Dysfunctional-Teenage-Boy Lit? You could argue that it would fit in "Other Fiction," but that feels more like a board where more experimental pieces go. Even classifying novels like 1984 don't do them proper justice.

Seeing as YWS is a starting-point for young, developing writers, making a distinction between genres is a bit harmful and can lead to mediocre writing. I'm sure everybody's gone through the Romance section only to find an endless list of Twilight knockoffs. Separating fiction into these specific genres can lead a writer to write simply for that genre. It leads to stories that focus on plot much more than character development, style, et cetera. These stories turn into cliches that fit perfectly into the genre they were written for.

Therefore, I think the least YWS could do would be to add a "General Fiction" board to the top of the list of fiction. I know it goes in alphabetical order, but I'm sure something can be done to change that. I feel like it would be the best thing YWS could do to get rid of cliche stories. The other forums can be left up, but some should probably be eliminated or combined. Fantasy and Sci-Fi can be combined, and Historical Fiction could probably be eliminated. I'd suggest the stories be moved to another forum.

I hope I'm not the only one here annoyed with the superficial fiction classifications at YWS. Who's with me?

For those of you too lazy to read through this, I'm only asking that we ADD a General Fiction board, not combine them all into one board.
Last edited by leparapluie on Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:04 am
Krupp says...

I actually agree with this and support it fully.
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

713 Reviews

Reviews: 713
Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:16 am
BigBadBear says...

I don't agree.

I think it's easier with all of the separate forums for the readers, not for the writers. For instance, I don't like to read fantasy, or historical fiction, so I don't go into the forums. If all of the forums were combined, I would probably end up reading those kinds of stories. And it's a lot more organized this way that we already have it.

-Jared
Just write -- the rest of life will follow.

Would love help on this.

9 Reviews

Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:20 am
leparapluie says...

It wouldn't combine them all into one forum. It would just add a general forum to the top.

Writers > Readers

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:20 am
Sureal says...

Most young writers are far more interested in writing genre fiction than literary fiction. If you're interested in writing literary fiction, how YWS classifies its forums won't change anything; likewise, only having a single fiction forum won't make a bunch of thirteen year olds suddenly interested in writing literary fiction in lieu of the stuff they actually enjoy reading and writing.

I think you're also forgetting that whilst you may dislike the idea of genres, it's a reality. You try to publish a book without first identify a genre for it (and yes, 'literary fiction' is a genre), you're gonna have real trouble. Genres are a fact of the publishing industry, and they're here to stay, for better or worse.

And besides, lumping everything into a single forum would make it harder for everyone to read and review the types of stories they're interested in.

Other fiction is general fiction. It just has a different name to the one you've proposed.

Also, I'm really skeptical of this writers over readers attitude. (My creative writing teacher holds it too.) A writer is nothing without a reader, after all.
Last edited by Sureal on Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
I wrote the above just for you.

9 Reviews

Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:23 am
leparapluie says...

Read, people. I'm not asking everything to be combined into one forum. I just think a "General Fiction" board would allow more literary writing to be written at YWS.

506 Reviews

Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:23 am
Sureal says...

You should take your own advice. Read, girl. ;)

Other fiction is general fiction. It just has a different name to the one you've proposed.

9 Reviews

Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:26 am
leparapluie says...

leparapluie wrote: You could argue that it would fit in "Other Fiction," but that feels more like a board where more experimental pieces go.

506 Reviews

Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:27 am
Sureal says...

I read that. You feel wrong. What you've proposed - General Fiction - is what the Other Fiction forum is for. It just has a name you don't like.

9 Reviews

Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:31 am
leparapluie says...

Sureal wrote:I read that. You feel wrong. What you've proposed - General Fiction - is what the Other Fiction forum is for. It just has a name you don't like.

Right now it is. But "Other Fiction" should traditionally have experimental writing in it. It's described as: "Stories that don't fit into the other categories."

A General Fiction board is needed to included anything in, instead of just saying it's what doesn't fit anywhere else. And it should be organized at the top of the list.

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:34 am
Sam says...

Sorry, leparapluie--glad to know that you have feedback, but I don't see the point, and there already isa forum for that. Keep the suggestions coming, though!
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

People find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right.
— Albus Dumbledore