z

Young Writers Society

Where do you get your ideas?

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:08 am
alwaysawriter says...

I looked and couldn't find this topic so I'm hoping I didn't overlook it.

Where do you get your ideas?

I got one of mine in a dream last night: A young girl peers down at an old man, who is smiling. "You're still old." She comments and walks away as his smile fades.
Then it switches to the girl in her teen years and how what she says to the old man affects her life now. My dream also shows a little of the old man when he got older. It was a wierd dream.

That's as far as I got. I got another idea while waiting for my doctor's appointment yesterday. :)

-alwaysawriter
Meshugenah says to (18:12:36):
Kat's my new favorite. other than Sachi.

WWJD: What Would Jabber Do?

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:42 am
Krupp says...

dreams are what made me start writing...
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:14 am
happy-go-lucky says...

Dreams are pretty big for me too. I usually get most of my scenes and settings from dreams. But stuff you here and see as a kid helps me too.
"A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world"
- Oscar Wilde

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:22 am
oneeyedunicornhunter says...

I usually don't remember my dreams well enough to gain much from them, but I do love to sleep. :)

But I had a dream about a week ago that I remembered very vividly...I'd better write what it was about now before I forget it.

I'm not really sure where my inspiration comes from. It just comes when and where it comes. I don't question it, lest I scare the poor beast away. :P
Am I a one eyed hunter of unicorns or a hunter of one eyed unicorns? The world may never know.

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:22 am
Cobra says...

I generally just set to thinking about what I'm going to write and suddenly a new idea comes to me, although I occasionally use dreams.
The corpses are piled high around. Blood carpets the floor and flames scorch away the last remnants of humanity. The screams of the damned echo in my head. I smile. I am home.

Reviews: 2
Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:17 am
Kelsey says...

I get my ideas from real life experiences and wonders. I'm also inspired by interesting people, people with memorable appearences or personalities. Also, right before bed. At that time, my mind wanders the most, and often into random thoughts that sometimes don't make sense.
KelsKels
If you're out to describe the truth;
leave the elegance to the tailor.

203 Reviews

Reviews: 203
Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:20 am
October Girl says...

[quote="Kelsey"]I get my ideas from real life experiences and wonders. I'm also inspired by interesting people, people with memorable appearences or personalities. Also, right before bed. At that time, my mind wanders the most, and often into random thoughts that sometimes don't make sense.[/quote]

Yep this pretty much sums up my thoughts thanks Kelsey (:

-Max
We're meant to be one
I know we are...
If I am the Sky
Then you are my star... ™

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:33 pm
Livinginfantasy says...

Like Kels and October Girl have said, I usually get my ideas from my experiences and just by thought. Actually, today something happened that I really want to turn into a story... I just need to brainstorm and twist it around so it can be enjoyable.

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:22 am
Fishr says...

Prompts, suggestions by people, daydreaming, dreaming in general, experiences with certain subjects, out of the clear, blue sky. Inspiration can hit you like a ton of bricks at any given moment which is why it's good to carry at least a small pad with paper and a pencil to jot notes/and or erase quickly if you made mistakes. If you're like me and can memorize, then maybe you won't need to be so dependant on the pad of paper senario if you're able to train your memory.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:28 am
chocoholic says...

Conversations, reading, big issues at the moment (eg. Abortion is in the news a lot where I live, and I recently had an idea that has to do with abortion), things I hear people say, things on TV, etc.

Yeah, that's pretty much where my ideas come from.
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:00 am
Clo says...

Not dreaming. Dreams are pretty useless. But daydreaming! There's a whole different thing. My daydreaming has concocted some messed up things.

The daydreaming tends to happen after reading things that get my creative sparks going - book summaries in Book Club pamphlets, Wikipedia entries, my Descriptionary dictionary, poem books, lyrics... fun, fun!
How am I not myself?

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:04 am
free_flowers says...

Dreaming, daydreaming, that's all the same for me, but it does work. I heard the author of Twilight got her idea from a dream and look where she's at now.
I, however, get most of my ideas from life and from living. I try to feel as many feelings as I can possibly feel because then it's much easier to write about everything.
But whatever, who knows what works best for others? :)

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:36 am
ImaginativeInsanity says...

I've gotten a couple of interesting ideas from dreams, but I can never seem to make them work in a plotline. I can never twist them into anything realistic enough (yes, realistic enough even for fantasy.) Usually, I'll get my ideas at a specific moment in time. I'll be walking somewhere, or sitting somewhere, thinking about something unconventional (as I usually am), and a scene or a line of dialogue randomly pops into my head. Sometimes, my mind takes the idea and runs with it. Sometimes, it doesn't.

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:57 pm
niccy_v says...

I don't remember how i started writing. Or when.
All i know is that it's making me fail my exams.

I get my ideas from every day experiences. Fights with friends, romances, first kisses, annoying teachers, first crush, last crush, death, animals, horses, obesity...

When that tap runs dry i turn to books i have read and recreate it my own way.

My most successful stories have come from them, weirdly enough.
My inspiration for my current novel of 50 pages size 10 font was from Twilight Series - incorporating New Moon and Breaking Dawn while skipping that nasty virus called Eclipse.
It's completely different but has vampire-and-human relationship, vampire leaving her, rahlala but she goes to Australia rather than across a few states and SHE leaves HIM. So ha. I've had enough people tell me i'm copying twilight to be proud it's completely diff. hehe :)

*shut up nichola*

I get inspiration from looking at the leaves on the ground.
Cute boys too - especially them!!! I just look at one and bam got a great story.
Writing gives my life purpose

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:15 pm
Francis Michael Buck says...

Mostly real-life experiences, sometimes historical events or something in the news. Very often I am inspired by another writer's work, as I'm sure most (if not all) of you are.

Dreams do occasionally give me some ideas, but most of the time they are way too bizarre and nonsensical to really work, especially since almost all of the fiction I write tends to be driven by realism. Thats what I shoot for, anyway.

Il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux (One must imagine Sisyphus happy).
— Albert Camus, The Myth of Sisyphus