z

Young Writers Society

Some Non-Fiction and Fiction Tips

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:45 am
jules4848 says...

Added 9/30/08: Hooks

Ok, so these tips below are mainly for non-fiction pieces, ok they're mainly for personal narrative pieces. How I came about post this is that I have a website with a page called Writing Tips, so I figured why not share them here as well. (although you may find that some tips can be used for fiction stories as well)

The following tips have come from school experiences and I tried to word it several ways so it is completely understandable. Hey, this may even help you write that paper for language class with the teacher that forces you to write everything by hand. *cradles hand remembering memories of long hours of writing and wrist cramps*

Also throughout the piece you may see *(stars), this means there may be a definition or a clarification afterwards to help better explain things. Some is unnecessary but when it comes to tips you need to go all out, so bare with me people.

I hope it helps!

What is a Personal Narrative?

A personal narrative* is a type of genre* that allows a writer to take from his/her own life experiences or knowledge and write about them in story form.

*Narrative: means story
*Genre: means style or type

Idea Process (#1) Gone Fishing

This method is used when you have that thing called writers block, the writing assignment is due really soon, and you need an idea. So you 'Go Fishing" for...

-a memorable time in your life
-something that might of happened to today or will happen
-'fish' for a very special moment

This method is very simple and straightforward, but is always a useful fall back.

Idea Process (#2) Timeline

For this method you think of an event in your life (Ex: a trip). You then list the major parts of the events. This mainly means the things that really stood out. Like say you went on to Disney World and you went on so many rides that you wish that you could remember them all, but then you remember meeting your favorite Disney character.

With all these memorable things going through your brain it can get kind of confusing and you know longer know what to write about it. That is why you map out the events in a Timeline this way you can focus on certain parts of, in this case your trip.

Next, you circle the part you find most interesting or that stood out among the rest. Have a tie? No problem recalls as much as you can about the two events, then decide which one really has what it takes to make a story. Still can't decide? Don’t worry, ask a friend or a parent about which topic they would be interested in reading about. Just can't make up your mind? Well, there's always 'ene meane miny mo'

Finally, now that you have narrowed down your long 'trip' to one topic, it's time to stretch the details so your one moment can reach its full potental. (This especially works when your one topic is short) Now remember you are writing only about that one moment and nothing else on your timeline. Focus on your writing to that small portion and use details* because you can never have enough.

*This is very important. When it comes to detail it is important to go all out especially during critical parts of a story. (meaning when you want your reader to feel as if they are in the story) What many writers have a problem with is using big words that don't fit what they're describing or the writer is unsure of the meaning itself. If your using a word that you don't know what it means don't use it because there is a big chance you readers don't know what it means either. There are always way to work around using big words for example:

'The desk's surface was both smooth and rounded. The corner had an antique tone to it from years of use. White paint shined across the edges as if showing of its glossy tone, but in other places the paint was as good as gone.'

This may not be the best example seeing as I made it up right now staring at the corner of my desk, but it gives you the idea. All the details and descriptions I used were simple and are able to paint a picture in readers’ minds.

Idea Process (#3) Sketching
(great for fiction and nonfiction writing)

Are you better at drawing your characters and scenes then writing them down? Well, here is an easy solution that can work for anybody.

First: you capture a picture in your head, whether it be of a relative with an interesting past or a gigantic bear that all the other animals think of as a bully but he's/she's really not.

Second: you draw out your idea best you can. If you have great artistic ability it would be a good idea to draw in as much detail as possible if you are an average artiste, like me, draw what you can imagining that you are tracing over the image in your head.

Third: Find somebody you know and 'sound out' your story based on the picture, or in other words take your picture and verbally explain how it fits into your story. Talking things out helps you remember things better and sometime you can explain ideas better when you're talking to someone else because they can help evolve and create your story too.

Fourth: This is an alternative for the third step. Take you picture that you have drawn and place it in front of you. Examine it as closely as you can taking in everything it has to offer. If you are a natural artists this will work to your advantage if you are an average artists take the image that was in your head an place all the missing details on the paper with you mind as if they were there. After you have done this get a notepad or paper and write down all the details. (start with the ones that stood out the most because that is what you want to focus on to keep your readers interested.)

Idea Process (#4) Stretching a Line

This method kind of combines the last two tips into a different form.

When writing about a specific scene take a moment to think it out. Act as if you had a video camera on your shoulder when you were imagining what was going to take place next. Make it seem as if you were there or you were the main character.

Next take that basic moment and 'stretch' it out by adding details and description.

This is a quick version and helps when you are on a deadline.

Here are some suggested leads or ways to begin a personal narrative

-use dialogue
-*ask a question (Ex: Have you ever gone swimming during a storm)
-*state a fact (Ex: It is difficult to surf in high seas)
-*start in the middle of the action
-*describe the setting of the story
-describe the weather (this option works every time whether fiction or nonfiction. When done right it can earn you some high marks)

*Starred leads mean it is also effective in a persuasive essays.

Suggestions for Crafting an Ending

1) Circular Ending: To craft a circular ending, end the story by making it relate, or 'circle back' to the beginning of the story. (this method is also effective in poetry)

2) Emotional Ending: an emotional ending leave the reader with the same strong feelings you experienced when the story happened to you. (or when you wrote the story -fiction-)

3) Surprise Ending: A surprise ending is usually a delight for the reader, but difficult to write. Plant seeds to the ending early on in the story. Also it is important to make sure that a surprise ending is right for your story otherwise can brake the flow of the story.

Finally I will end with a little bonus. I'm going to added a small segment on Non-narrative Persuasive Writing. Here it is...

Non-narrative writing is writing that does not tell a story. Its purpose is to inform and/or to persuade an audience. To involve teaching how to do something (expository) or simply giving facts. To persuade an audience may involve convincing them to agree with your opinion or moving them to action.

(this is a little more complicated to understand so here it is again)

Non-Narrative Writing is writing used to inform, persuade, or both. It is not telling a story.
Inform: stating facts, explaining directions.
Persuade: convince an audience to agree with you are to take action.

Tools That Help Persuade:

Ethical: an option quoted from a reliable person or source
Logical: convincing facts and statistics
Emotional: a touching story or experience

Use these three things in a persuasive essay and you are guaranteed to reach you readers or get that A+ you have been needing.

Hooks

Hooks are used in narrative writing, but mainly persuasive essays. No matter hom much you teacher tells you to use FIRST, SECOND, NEXT, FUTHERMORE, IN CONCLUSION. Don't! By the time you reach eighth grade they don't make the grades. You need to use hooks.

Use hooks to grab readers attentions. Alot of authors do this in their stories to keep readers reading and that is exactly what it does except you now apply it to your essays. Here are some examples...

Question: Have you ever been afraid to fly? Well I was...
Quotation: "Run and don't look back!" my brother shouted.
Hyperbole: That pumpkin was as big as a school bus.
Fragments: Pennies. Pennies everywhere. Far as I could see.
Famous Name or Place: The Statue of Liberty, there she stood.
Money: Ten million dollars, and all mine.

Yay, I’m finished boy that was a lot to write. And yes even though it came from my website only the non-narrative persuasive writing was copied exactly from my site. To see these tips in their original version visit the page on my site here: http://www.freewebs.com/4fantasyreaders ... ngtips.htm

Thanks for reading an tell me if my tips helped you at all.
Last edited by jules4848 on Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Searching For An Explanations...
http://www.realityhitchhiker.blogspot.com/

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:09 pm
Livinginfantasy says...

You wrote all this yourself?!
Very impressive and some good tips, too. I like the Sketching one most, even though I can't draw for my life. :lol:

BTW, I visited your site. It was only for 2 seconds, but I liked it so far. It is well organized and has some great stuff. Maybe I'll stop by again once I'm finished here!

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:46 am
jules4848 says...

I added HOOKS. They are at the bottom of the entry and come in handy when writing essay that needs a good grade.

-Jules
Searching For An Explanations...
http://www.realityhitchhiker.blogspot.com/

It's crazy how your life can be twisted upside down inside out and around and you can get sushi from safeway still looking like a normal person
— starchild314