z

Young Writers Society

What do you have difficulty writing?

369 Reviews

Reviews: 369
Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:40 pm
Conrad Rice says...

Thought I'd try to generate a little round table discussion. So, the question is, what do you have trouble writing? What I mean by this is, do you have a particular thing, say dialogue, description, or a particular kind of scene perhaps, that you just find really hard to write? And, do you have any particular way that you get around it?

Myself, I have trouble with description. I can describe what can be seen, but I tend to forget things like smells, temperature, and other useful things of that nature. I just try to remember what's going on and to immerse my audience in it.
Garrus Vakarian is my homeboy.

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:43 pm
Krupp says...

I just have a hard time getting started on a certain scene; if I keep hammering away at it usually I get through it okay and have no difficulty later on. This prospect sometimes ruins things for me and keeps me from finishing stories, which is unfortunate, but so far it's no slown me down as of late.
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

713 Reviews

Reviews: 713
Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:49 pm
BigBadBear says...

It isn't a scene or anything, but fantasy in general. It's impossible for me to write. I don't know how people can whip out a fantasy. For me, it would take years of planning, because I'm a freaking perfectionist, and it not everything in my made up world isn't absolutely right, I trash the whole idea.

Yeah. So fantasy will never come from BBB. Except for maybe the occasional contest that I want to enter.

-Jared
Just write -- the rest of life will follow.

Would love help on this.

125 Reviews

Reviews: 125
Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:55 am
PerforatedxHearts says...

I don't really like writing fight/adventure scenes, because I don't have that kind of violence brimming in my head. XD Uhm, lately I've been having trouble finding the right kind of character to portray in a novel, and the beginning words [as in first sentence/paragraph/page, etc.]. I've been really hard on myself for that. But I have to remind myself not to stifle my creative juices too.
"Video games don't affect kids. If Pacman had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music." --anonymous/banner.

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:09 am
Meep says...

Plot. I can't write plot. I know that's a big problem, seeing as something has to happen for it to be a, y'know, story. Haha, seriously an issue.

I also can't write romantic relationships, probably due to a lack of experience. I have a hard time with action scenes, too (also probably due to a lack of experience - I don't do much sword fighting, really).

So, long story short ... all I can do is characters and dialogue.
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

201 Reviews

Reviews: 201
Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:52 am
Flemzo says...

Oddly enough, I can't write things I truly want to write. I've been working on a poem/song for a friend of mine who died ever since I found out about it, but I've yet to be able to put what's running through my head onto paper.

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:06 am
Clo says...

I can't write endings. I feel like I don't worry too much while writing... just lalala, writing, fun, then I get to the ending and I start to worry. I feel like all the endings to my stories are bad. ^_^
How am I not myself?

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:26 am
Krupp says...

What I have real difficulty with is writing anything that is personal to me. For instance, I have a problem writing romantic scenes and dialogue, because I am just awkwardly shy at points and have difficulty trying to speak to them; therefore, that's always a freeze up.

There's others, but that's the worst. Usually I try to avoid romance in my books because of it.

But somehow it seems to worm its way into some of them...
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:43 pm
Fishr says...

Tenses. Those God-awful things should be run down into the ground, then reverse on the Mac Truck, and He Ho, straight forward ahead, peddle to the metal. Kill! Kill! Kill! :smt021
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

168 Reviews

Reviews: 168
Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:37 am
Swottielottie says...

I cannot write romance. I try, I do what I can, but it all comes out in a sickly mush of Romeo and Juliet. It's so hard not to be too lovey dovey. Or not lovey dovey enough.
If you don't have a bit, than how are your readers supposed to know the characters like each other. Oh.... I give up on romance... I don't have any experience in that subject, so its kind of hard to write about.

Tenses. Those God-awful things should be run down into the ground, then reverse on the Mac Truck, and He Ho, straight forward ahead, peddle to the metal. Kill! Kill! Kill!

I died of laughter reading that! A lot of people have trouble with tenses but they're so easy! Both my writing friends from real life do and I just don't get what they can't understand! But yes, Tenses should die. If you need any help of disposing the bodies, just come to my meat pie emporium in fleet street :shock: * sorry about that Sweeney Todd reference*

Well, I can't say anything, I've never understood the whole comma thing around speech marks ( :?: )

Reviews: 4
Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:09 pm
Hallie says...

I have trouble starting a piece. I can come up with a million ideas for stories, poems, anything but just can't seem to find the words to set it off. I know I could probably start elsewhere within a piece, but then I still struggle to find a way to start it off. It sounds really stupid but I just can't seem to do it.

The only other thing I struggle to write is romantic scenes. It just seems really awkward and sometimes, either too innocent or too much (if you understand me). And I'm too picky. I can write a whole load of pages, either written freehand or typed, sit back and have a quick read of what I've written and get disappointed and end up throwing it out.

I think I'm just a little weird when it comes to writing. :P
"We've All Been Lost For Most Of This Life, Everywhere We Turn More Hatred Surrounds Us!"

"The pen is mightier than the sword, that's one scary pen!"

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:12 am
JFW1415 says...

Samuel Garrison wrote:Tenses. Those God-awful things should be run down into the ground, then reverse on the Mac Truck, and He Ho, straight forward ahead, peddle to the metal. Kill! Kill! Kill! :smt021

PSHH. I knooooow! I always switch back and forth a hundred times during a story, and they're killer to edit.

I also can't write horror. Period. (Sorry, Jare - I'm not entering your contest. ;))

And I tend to use the same 'bad things' for everything. The bad father, the girl who can't get attached to a guy, etc. I kind of take my life, magnify it a lot, and use it for everything. It's really hard for me to give a character a problem that I'm not going through.

Oh, and names. They tend to stay 'A', 'B', etc. until I post it here, when I just give them any old random name. XD

~JFW1415

713 Reviews

Reviews: 713
Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:37 am
BigBadBear says...

(Sorry, Jare - I'm not entering your contest. )

*glares*
Just write -- the rest of life will follow.

Would love help on this.

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:27 pm
KaatiieBugg says...

I have trouble with both fantasy and romance. With fantasy, I guess I'm just not original enough, because every time I think I've got a really great idea, I happen to read about it or hear about a book similar to my idea.
Romance, I try to avoid because I'm not a really mushy type, so even if I did have any sort of romantic life I probably wouldn't write about it. that probably has to do with being sort of shy, as well!

Oddly enough, I can't write things I truly want to write. I've been working on a poem/song for a friend of mine who died ever since I found out about it, but I've yet to be able to put what's running through my head onto paper.

Same here, when I really feel like writing something I want to, nothing I ever write seems to add up quite the same on paper.
Writing: My Anti-Drug

Random avatar

Reviews: 115
Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:37 pm
andimlovegalore says...

clograbby wrote:I can't write endings. I feel like I don't worry too much while writing... just lalala, writing, fun, then I get to the ending and I start to worry. I feel like all the endings to my stories are bad. ^_^

I'm the same ;_; I suck at writing endings. I'm very good at short stories either, I always feel the need to keep going like I don't want it to end. My writing just isn't concise.

I'm not so good at action either... I just findit hard to describe without being boring.

"Please put me in the quote generator whenever you like."
— SirenCymbaline the Kiwi