z

Young Writers Society

diaries

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:03 pm
unsterblichkeit36 says...

Does a diary help you get into character more or does it take you away from your characters?
-SaraRose

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:23 pm
Kadie says...

I've never tried it myself but it does sound like a pretty good idea.

I suppose if you wrote a diary entry every day while in the mindset of your character it would help you get a better feel for them. It'd probably be really useful if you were planning to write in first person.

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:15 am
Clo says...

I think it would be difficult to write in diary format, because you have to make it read like a diary and yet still make it fiction-worthy, and interesting.

If you think about it though, diary stories are no different than first person, really. Except for format.
How am I not myself?

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:22 pm
pegasi_quill says...

Do you mean to write a diary as if you were a character from another story you're writing? Or to say that whatever it is you're writing is in the form of a diary?

The former - don't know, never tried it, but it could help.

The latter - go for it, I'm just writing a novel in that format, and frankly, the words flow by themselves.

Once I sit down at the computer and let them to, that is.
~Memory is a child walking along a seashore. You can never tell what small pebble it will pick up and store away among its treasured things~

Away until August 31st (possibly longer)

Random avatar

Reviews: 115
Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:12 pm
andimlovegalore says...

I find some diary writing is quite useful... if you want to get into the head of your character ^__^ I've done it once before.

Even writing a diary for yourself is pretty good because it's some writing, it can help you get over a block. At least for me.

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:11 am
patience_isnt says...

I'm confused. Are you talking about writing a diary in your character's view, or a real life diary of yourself?

Character's view: I've never actually thought about it, but it would be a good after-book after you're done a series or something. Plus, it could help you get into the character's role. But I think it would take too much time. :D

My own diary: No way. A blog is as close as I get to writing about myself. Life is too boring to write about and to get you going. I always tend to use real life experiences to help me get into making my characters seem real, but I never keep it all the same. I change it up to make it more interesting.
"Whoa, whoa, whoa! What are you girls doing?"

"Peeing on a stick, you wanna try?"

-My C, Nick, and MC, Kayla.

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:50 pm
Lena says...

Do you mean writing a diary for your character while you write your normal story? Or having your diary be the story?

I think the first one is a good idea. It helps you get to know your character. Just remember that you don't need to have EVERYTHING you put in your character's diary (like your character's secrets) into your book.

I probably won't keep one for my current MC because he is extremely disorganized and lacks a realistic self concept.

I don't really like it when the books are written in diary form. They remind of these old pilgrim books I used to read as a kiddie. I think it takes away from the story, because you can't incorporate dialogue or very much description.
she's a runner, rebel and a stunner, lookin' down the barrel of a hot metal .45, just another way to survive...

myspace? http://www.myspace.com

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:50 am
alwaysawriter says...

I think it's a good idea but I haven't done it because I haven't written much. :)
Meshugenah says to (18:12:36):
Kat's my new favorite. other than Sachi.

WWJD: What Would Jabber Do?

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:35 pm
ShaydeDesiree says...

For me, it helps me get into character. But it all depends on you as a person. If you are more the introspective type (you like to look inside yourself to find answers) then it will help you. If you are the type to look outside yourself for answers, (sorry i dont know the name of this type) then it probably wont help you.

I hope this helped!

-Shayde

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:27 pm
narniafreak12 says...

If you want to write a story in the diary format I find those kinds of books good. There's a whole series of that type I've read. It's Diary of a Teenage Girl by Melody Carlson. Even though it's a diary it includes dialogue and stuff. If you just want to write it to get a better feel for the character I'd say go for it. I've never tried it but it sounds like a good idea.

-A Freak! =)

Did you ever hear the Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the wise? I thought not. It's not a story the Jedi would tell you. It's a Sith legend. Darth Plagueis was a Dark Lord of the Sith, so powerful and so wise he could use the Force to influence the midichlorians to create life... He had such a knowledge of the dark side that he could even keep the ones he cared about from dying. The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural. He became so powerful... the only thing he was afraid of was losing his power, which eventually, of course, he did. Unfortunately, he taught his apprentice everything he knew, then his apprentice killed him in his sleep. It's ironic he could save others from death, but not himself.
— RazorSharpPencil