z

Young Writers Society

"Hey, want to finish this story for me?"

172 Reviews

Reviews: 172
Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:28 am
Lynlyn says...

An art forum I visit has an activity where people upload line art, pencil sketches, or PSD files of stuff they've started and don't intend to finish. Other people can then pick it up and complete it as they see fit.

Do you think that something like this could work with fiction? I have so many "first chapters" of things I've started and then abandoned because a) I got sick of the characters/the story, or b) it evolved into something completely different and I rewrote it as an entirely reinvented piece.

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing what someone could do with the loose ends, I think it would be kind of exciting. I'm not really very protective of my work (I guess I'm kind of weird like that) so I'm not really afraid of someone "messing it up" - if I had an idea for where it was going, I would have finished it. I guess it would be sort of like a storybook, but... not? More like an impromptu collaboration.

Anyone else have a folder of abandoned first chapters? Any thoughts?

EDIT: Round Robin Riter Club is officially where it's at. Go! Join! Accepting both abandoned and fresh chapters.
Last edited by Lynlyn on Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Better keep yourself clean and bright; you are the window through which you must see the world." - G. B. Shaw
Lynlyn's Magical Critique Emporium - request a review here.

98 Reviews

Reviews: 98
Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:44 am
budding writer says...

same problem with me. i have like sooooo many fat books filled with writing but all of them is the first chapters. i would like to write the loose ends. i mean you you want.

-budding
## My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations ##

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:59 pm
Snoink says...

Hahaha... I figure that anything that is only a first chapter is not worth reviving let alone giving away. ^^
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:19 am
Mathlete says...

That idea is sort of similar to an assignment I sometimes do in school. The results can get pretty wierd, but it's always fun to do.
9/5ths of the population aren't good with fractions

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:23 am
thunder_dude7 says...

I would take them, but I have three novels going already. Maybe when I start revising two of them.

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:03 pm
Stori says...

I'd like to try that. Anything to get my writing up again, I'll try. (And how about a group for it, too? There's already a co-writers' group.)
"The one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart."
Miles Vorkosigan

"You can be an author if you learn to paint pictures with words."
Brian Jacques

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:28 pm
HC says...

I would love to try this out! I have plenty of first chapters sitting around gathering dust that I lost interest in.

Reviews: 1
Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:27 pm
BenedictionofGrace says...

Hey, that's a great idea!:)
I think it was another writing website that they did that, where people would just write down story outlines of old stories that they gave up on.
A group about it would be fun.

In Christ,
Grace
1 John 4:18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment.
He that feareth is not made perfect in love.

Being a true Christian is not being religious, but having a relationship with your Heavenly Father.

220 Reviews

Reviews: 220
Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:07 pm
Sleeping Valor says...

Depending on if I could come up with ideas, I wouldn't mind trying to finish some. I actually have the same problem, though mainly because when I first started writing I didn't have the presence of mind to write down the plot once it came to me (figuring that I would actually sit down and write the whole thing, rather than get distracted by a new idea a few pages in >_>), so now i have a zillion loose files with ideas, characters, and nowhere to go because I've forgotten or just can't come up with anything.

Actually, offering people the chance to work on ideas and stories you (anyone, really) came up with but can't finish sounds awesome. A lot of people want to write, but just can't figure out what to write or how to start.

:D
I'm like that song stuck in your head; I come and I go, but never truly dissapear.

And apparently I also write a blog.

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:00 am
Meep says...

I think it would be fun.

Would it have to be things that were started, or could we submit just ideas we don't intend to use?
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

220 Reviews

Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:56 am
Sleeping Valor says...

Meep wrote:I think it would be fun.

Would it have to be things that were started, or could we submit just ideas we don't intend to use?

:D See, I was thinking that too! I have so many of those and it seems a pity they don't geta chance to be used by someone.
I'm like that song stuck in your head; I come and I go, but never truly dissapear.

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:12 am
C.J. Mustang says...

:lol: yeah, I definitely do that, too. I think I only have....maybe three?

One is one with a vampire academy.

The other one was one with wolves.

The last one I work on from time to time, but not too much. I think it considers to be an abandoned novel, as much as I add onto it. :wink:
Sorry, I don't have any leeches on my speed dial.
~Jacob Black

210 Reviews

Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:18 am
Meep says...

It might be a fun writing activities thread, or maybe a whole user group. I'd definitely be into this. I never like my own ideas and I end up abandoning a lot of them, but sometimes I read someone else's stuff and I want to write that story.

220 Reviews

Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:48 am
Sleeping Valor says...

=P It's crazy, but I was thinking a usergroup too. XD I'm sure a lot of people would go for it. I sure would. Though maybe I should restrain myself, since I'd like to finish my novel some time this lifetime.... *easily distracted and drawn to sparkly new ideas* >.<

210 Reviews

Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:58 am
Meep says...

Sleeping Valor wrote:*easily distracted and drawn to sparkly new ideas* >.<

Which, of course, is exactly why you ought to do it. :wink: You aren't the only one.

Lily you are my fig father
— Elliebanana