z

Young Writers Society

Writing prompts

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:25 pm
seshat77 says...

I know that writing prompts are easy to find (google it), but I wanted to know if anyone has one that they enjoyed, or one that helped them, or maybe even one that inspired a novel-length story! Just curious, and I FINALLY have time on my hands to actually complete one, the sad thing is, the only reason i have time is because I'm too sick to do anything alse :) but I don't want to waste this valuable opportunity on a useless prompt.

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:53 pm
JFW1415 says...

Go here: http://community.livejournal.com/100originalfics/profile

I'm doing that right now. It's on LJ, and you write 100 short stories around one or two main characters. It really helps with character development. I'm too lazy to post on there, but I've been posting my pieces here. It's fun, and it gets you writing.

Of course, the page explains it better. :wink:

Let me know if you try these and post them - I'd love to edit them! :twisted:

~JFW1415

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:56 pm
StellaThomas says...

Thanks JFW, these are your stories about the girl with Matty as her brother? I've been wanting to know where you've been getting the prompts for ages!
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:34 pm
Meep says...

The 100 Original Fics table is a great resource. I know there are a number of other ones out there like it, like a fic for each Tarot card in the Major Arcana, each season, etc., etc. I've never completed a whole table, but I've always meant to.

Genre Challenge is also fun. Every month, a different genre is posted and participants write a story that fits in that genre. It sounds easy until they start suggesting genres you have no previous experience (sometimes not even something you've read often, if at all).

I also really like the "inspiration" page at Ficlets. You've gotta sign in to search, but I'd just refresh and see what pictures come up on the three and write something about those. (It's really fun to try and include everything that shows up on the page.)
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:53 pm
JFW1415 says...

Stella Thomas wrote:Thanks JFW, these are your stories about the girl with Matty as her brother? I've been wanting to know where you've been getting the prompts for ages!

If you asked I would have told you! :wink: That's how I found out about them.

Another thing I do: Go to google, Microsoft clip art, deviantart, anything that has pictures. Find two. Write a story starting with the first and ending with the last. Or just pick one and write about it. Very good description excercise.

~JFW1415

Random avatar

Reviews: 30
Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:51 pm
Moving Forward says...

www.creativewritingprompts.com is what I usually use. They have some good ones that help you think of plots.
---insert signature here---

21 Reviews

Reviews: 21
Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:19 am
RGallagher says...

You can check out my blog too. http://rgprompts.blogspot.com/ I post a new prompt every day!
RG Prompts! New prompts posted daily!
http://rgprompts.blogspot.com/

Need a critique? Post here!
topic42126.html

If a nation loses its storytellers, it loses its childhood.
— Peter Handke