z

Young Writers Society

First Novel?

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:00 pm
seshat77 says...

I have heard, frequently, that publishing your first novel is foolish. Quite a few people have told me that it's not good to publish the first novel you've ever written. I don't think this is true, I was wondering what other people thought.

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:45 pm
Heidigirl666 says...

I would probably agree it's a not a good idea. I think in reality most people, regardless of their talent, need a few practice novels, certainly when you start writing novels as a teenager...

The first book I ever wrote was about this plane that crashed in the amazon and involved some weird paranormal stuff that didn't make any sense; at the time I was pretty proud of it, even though I know now it was absolutely terrible... :shock: :D

Even having looked up all the 'how-to' guides and loads of advice, I really had no clue how to do it, hadn't learnt how to be brutally critical of my own work (this certainly is something that needs time to develop) and although I tried, lacked the skills to fix it up and edit it at the end (I think these are things you have to learn with time and practise too. :wink: )

But I kept on writing and now I've got a novel I know I'm going to get published (and it's my fifth-I've been writing full length novels since I was thirteen, the first two were awful, the third one better (as in, might be salvagable one day) and the fourth one probably passable, and this is from someone who always got top marks for writing in school. :wink: )

But like they say, practise makes perfect. :wink: :D
Everywhere I go I'm asked if I think the university stifles writers. My opinion is that they don't stifle enough of them. There's many a bestseller that could have been prevented by a good teacher. ~Flannery O'Connor

695 Reviews

Reviews: 695
Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:24 am
Angel of Death says...

I think thats a very crazy statement. There is no such thing as a first novel. The piece of art you're working on grows and grows and once you publish this said first novel it flourishes into something more. What I mean is go for it, don't look at the novel as your first but you're start in a story that no one has ever read or heard. I know this might only make since to me because my friends always tell me my logic is crazy but whatever.

Right now I have like four books that I have started and I can only really focus on one at a time. All of them share a certain likeness but yet they're so different. Plots arrive at the same time often and when you publish a first book that's like taking all of your others and getting it published.

P.S. Sorry about the long comment I get carried away, oh and if this didn't make since do not worry about it, this one is all on me. hehe
True love, in all it’s celestial charm, and
star-crossed ways, only exist in a writer’s
mind, for humans have not yet learned
how to manifest it.

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:44 am
chocoholic says...

I tried to get my first novel published, but I didn't really have much experience and I was doing everything wrong.

I don't think you should. Have a few practise novels, develop your skills and eventually you'll come out with something publishable.
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

150 Reviews

Reviews: 150
Fri May 02, 2008 3:46 am
Ross says...

That is rubbish. I've heard of people who have grown into acclaimed authors that have never written a single chapter before the book they penned came in existence. Stephenie Meyer is one example. Never wrote a single chapter and now people are calling her America's J.K. Rowling. Keep this in mind while publishing: Everyone wants to be a writer, so you got some tough competition. If you want to get published, I admire your courage.

(Mod edit: please don't swear outside of literary items).
And we'll be a dream...

"Dee Dubbleyou." - BigBadBear

137 Reviews

Reviews: 137
Fri May 02, 2008 2:38 pm
Summerless says...

I definitely agree with deafwriter_19, although I wouldn't use Stephenie Meyer as an example. There are pretty decent writers who were younger than twenty when they published a novel, and those novels are novels many people (where I live) cherish. Practice or not, the books were great (for lack of a better word).

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Fri May 02, 2008 3:31 pm
Sureal says...

I agree.

This isn't to say that your first story cannot be published, it's just that you're very, very unlikely to have your first novel published. It'll need a hefty ammount of rewriting and editing before it'll stand even a small chance of being published.
I wrote the above just for you.

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Sat May 03, 2008 2:09 am
Rei says...

I'd say that it varies from person to person. For the majority of us, when we write our first novel, we don't know what we're doing. We're just figuring it out. As a result, it's usually not that good. Also, when you publish your first novel as a teen, that becomes part of your reputation, and it can be hard to shake that off. One author I met who was published as a teen really hated that people always refer to the fact that he wrote his first published novel at fifteen. Though he didn't say it, it was pretty obvious from his non-verbals.

Then again, there are some who really are good enough when they write their first novel, and manage to not make it part of their reputation if they do publish it as a teen.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

Reviews: 1
Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:56 am
kls night says...

I don't think it's a good idea. I wrote a 147 page book and I was so excited to finish it, but when I went back over it, it was really bad. I think that a couple practice novels couldn't hurt, but if someone thinks that they wrote a really good first novel, then go for it. :D
"When all think alike, no one is thinking very much."

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:54 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

I think it kind of depends at what age you start writing. I started a series when I was about nine and wrote four novels up until I was 16. At that point I started on Firebrand because I felt I wanted to write something that was good and I was actually proud of.

However, if you are an adult and your writing is already more advanced than, say, a fourteen year old's just because of age, then I would go for it. Try to find an agent and a publishing company. Ultimately I think it's your call. If you feel it's ready, then give it a shot. If you feel it's crap, then don't send it off.
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

Random avatar

Reviews: 5
Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:20 pm
Aidankay says...

I suggest you write a novel, but if it's your first probally don't publish it just yet. Keep the first novel you've written and keep checking back on it as your writing skills will improve with age.

If you produce your first, your still raw so to speak, write another and compare the english writing skills you have obtained in the second in relation to the first. After publish both :)

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:36 am
Krupp says...

Keep your first novel. I have. And I'm glad that I haven't published it or thrown it away. It's horrible stuff, really. But looking back at it, it definitely keeps me focused on improving in my writing. And I have steadily improved since 2004...
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.
— Groucho Marx