z

Young Writers Society

Writer's Temperament

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:37 pm
seshat77 says...

I was wondering, most of us believe we were born writers, we have the natural predisposition; the love and passion for it of course, but I was wondering what made everyone think that they were born for the proffesion.

I happen to be a grammar freak, especially when it doesn't matter. I like to spend time alone. I can sit and just think for a long time. I happen to be an awesome speller. I am extremely empathetic, to the point where it's quite annoying. I get giddy when i read a particularly moving, or brilliant piece. I absolutely loooooove reading. I'm one of the only kids in my school that can read shakespeare without falling asleep. I loce to proofread and critique. If I hear a song with terrible lyrics, I yell at it--i don't know if that's just me being my freak self or my temperament, in any case, I do it.

Even if you don't think you were born this way, why do you think you are a writer?

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:20 pm
Emerson says...

Well I certainly don't have those sort of qualities. My speaking grammar is still trash, and dare I say, slightly hick? Unless I am being careful. If I'm lazy about it, haha, I start loosing gs on -ing and I'll use "got" more and all sorts of nasty things that I hate, hate, hate! Which is really funny. But then I can also sound incredebly professional, or so I would hope. But I've only become good at grammar this past year or so. And my spelling? Well, my mother is dyslexic, and if it weren't for spell check in firefox, I would be embarrassed to post on YWS. I cannot spell.

I think the reason I was born to write isn't because I was born to do it, but because I love it so much. There is some thrill in it. A great, unimaginable enjoyment comes from writing, being able to put so many beautiful things on paper, and knowing it works how you want it to. I can't feel that way with anything else. There are other things that get me excited, too, but they're all somehow connected to writing: foreign language, linguistics, the brain [I love knowing how the brain works in relation to language and writing and reading]. I don't really think I was born to do it, but maybe I was. I just found my passion and have held onto it, tightly. If I didn't write, I think I would be a depressed person. Writing is so enjoyable. But then of course, it can also be one of the most painful things I've done in my whole life! Haha.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:49 pm
Heidigirl666 says...

I have most of those qualities, and I think I was almost certainly kind of 'born' to write, but that doesn't mean you don't have to practise. :wink:

My biggest frustration is trying to get the ideas I have in my head to go the way I want them to go on paper... :roll:

I'm not sure I was born to the 'proffession' though. I don't see writing like that. I see it as something I can't do without (in the words of Isaac Asimov, 'I write for the same reason I breathe, because if I didn't I would die' :wink:) and that I enjoy, and it just happens that hopefully if I work hard enough at it I might be able to make a living off of it.

'Career' is the scariest word ever. :lol: I guess the idea I've stuck with it and haven't gone off to do anything else just for some stability is because writing is one of the only professions you can do and no one thinks it's odd if you earn no money. :roll: :D
Everywhere I go I'm asked if I think the university stifles writers. My opinion is that they don't stifle enough of them. There's many a bestseller that could have been prevented by a good teacher. ~Flannery O'Connor

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:39 am
seshat77 says...

Well, I can't exactly call writing a 'career' of mine at thirteen. But, I always thought that my love of writing and not being able to live without it was sort of a sign that that's what I need to do with my life.
If life gives you lemons, throw them back at life and scream "I don't want your damn lemons!"

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:55 am
thunder_dude7 says...

Well, I am a grammar freak. Maybe that's why I always forget to capitalize pronouns that refer to God.

Anyway, I don't think I was born to write. To be honest, I wrote pretty teribly at first. I tried to make things elegant and pretty, and character development was a real mountain for me to climb. I'm really tempted to make my characters cliche' super heroes.

514 Reviews

Reviews: 514
Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:42 am
JC says...

I don't think that writing is in ones temperment or characteristics, but in one's passion.

For me, writing was always a passion. I've always been an embelliser, and yes, I'll admit that I've lied because I couldn't help but tell a story. I think that when I write, all the stress and troubles just seem to go away, if only for a little while, and nothing exists except for the characters on the page and the stories I can weive.

I don't know. Writing is such a strange thing for me. It can make me smile, or throw things at the walls. If I do it too much I could get tired of it, and if I don't do it enough I could lose an opportunity.

Simply put:
I don't write becuase I can. I write because I have to.
But that is not the question. Why we are here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come. -Beckett

196 Reviews

Reviews: 196
Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:49 am
OverEasy says...

I agree with JCobsessed.

I was not born a grammar freak, and I have never been great at spelling. The technical stuff always got me. But writing, that is something I have to do. No matter what I am feeling, happy, sad, excited, annoyed, etc. I write all of that down. Each and everyday I have idea's bouncing around in my head that scream at me to get out, and I have to. Else they will just keep screaming and drive me insane.

My speach is terrible, if I'm not careful my slight southern drawl likes to peek it's ugly head.

The writing though, that is something I have to do. Whether it is grammatically correct or my spelling is off in some places, I have to get it out there.
Life is for living.

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Sat May 03, 2008 1:26 pm
deleted2 says...

I'm a writer because ..... I love to write ? :D

Ever since I was a kid I'd get into moods where all I wanted to do was sit alone in my room and (haha) play with Plemobil ( XD does anyone know these toys ?) making up stories that would continue for days on end. Or I'd read, I learned to read really quickly, and ever since 1rst grade I've been book-obsessed.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not anti-social.
Just sometimes :wink:

The worst choice people can make is to disturb me when I'm writing. Then I can pretty much be a :evil:

oh well :D

When I write I sometimes make myself sad, or hyper, or angry, and any other emotions that could pop up. I once decided for a really nice character to die in one of my stories (neccesary to the plot) and was nearly in tears writing his death :( ! Yes. I'm weird. :roll:

XxxDo

695 Reviews

Reviews: 695
Sat May 03, 2008 4:22 pm
Angel of Death says...

I am a writer because when painful words cut me, I bleed poetry. The air that I breathe is tainted with the words of my heart, when I speak my mind I am heard, but when I write what little symphonies my heart has to construct people listen with their eyes, the windows too their souls. I am a writer because if I wasn't what would I be? Writing defines me, it created me. To every cage of speechlessness, there is a key of words. With my writing I set the bird that flutters impatiently in my head free, ready to find their wings.
True love, in all it’s celestial charm, and
star-crossed ways, only exist in a writer’s
mind, for humans have not yet learned
how to manifest it.

369 Reviews

Reviews: 369
Sat May 03, 2008 10:11 pm
Conrad Rice says...

I think that I am a writer because I have many wonderful stories all spinning around in my head. That alone doesn't really make me better than the common man. We all have stories to tell, dreams to share, nightmares to unleash. The only difference between writers and those who don't write is that we have the courage and the insanity to actually let our stories run out among everybody.

Reviews: 2
Sun May 04, 2008 12:20 am
Kagerou453 says...

I honestly never even thought about writing as even a hobby until a couple years ago, when I joined a roleplaying board where you roleplay through interactive storytelling. It got me hooked on writing like an addiction, but that wasn't when I started thinking of myself as a good writer.

My first impression of my writing was that it was decent, but that I had a long way to go to be considered good. I thought that I started out a little awkwardly, a sort of "monkey see, monkey do" as to how much detail I should put in, how long I should make my posts, etc. Thankfully, the first person I roleplayed with is considered the best writer on the board. The first time I actually began thinking that I have a real talent for writing is when one of the roleplayers (a very good one) messaged me and said "You're lying! This can't be the first board you've ever been to! It took me years to get to the level that you started at!"

Ever since then, I've thought more about my writing. I think that what makes it strong is that I always try to keep things realistic. I don't mean that in the sense of no fantasy, all logic. What I mean is that I always try to create settings, plots, and characters that the reader can relate to, understand, and appreciate as though the story could pop out at them and happen in real life. I try to keep my timing and sequence of events orderly, but most importantly, I try to implement emotion into my work, using description, detail, diction, and imagery to really express to my readers what's going on and create some pathos to make the story real in their minds.

I think I'm such an avid writing freak like this because I have no other creative outlet. I have no artistic talent to draw the ideas that sneak into my mind, but through storytelling I can share my thoughts and creations and learn to do it with skill. It feels nice to know that my imagination can be appreciated by others. Not to mention that it's just fun to be able to create your own little world that no one's ever thought of before.
Last edited by Kagerou453 on Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:59 pm
alwaysawriter says...

I'm somewhat of a grammar geek, or I try to be, but my spelling is horrible.

I like to spend time alone. I can sit and just think for a long time.
That's exactly how I am. I'm a natural-born loner but I do like to talk to people--just not when they can judge me. I'm more of an animal and little kid person. We'll be out somewhere and my mom'll be like "Can you be anymore anti-social?" I look at her, grin, say "Yes, I actually can be.", put my head back down and sit there silently for the rest of the time, all the while observing everything and everyone around me.

I bore people to death because I love staying in the house all day. I've had English teachers say that I'm a talented writer and that I need to keep at it. I've come two points away from making a four on the county writing test twice even though its the only test of any kind to stress me out and I didn't even think I'd passed it.

Writing is something that flows through me. Its the one thing that I can't be yelled at for doing because its educational. Honestly, I don't really think I'm a good writer. I think I'm okay but that there's a lot of room for improvement. :)
Meshugenah says to (18:12:36):
Kat's my new favorite. other than Sachi.

WWJD: What Would Jabber Do?

125 Reviews

Reviews: 125
Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:52 am
PerforatedxHearts says...

It's what I do best. Being a writer isn't about how your personality is, though writers are perceived as being separated from society because they think differently. Of course, it's true, otherwise we wouldn't give a second glance for the words we spin. But I do it because I like to do it and because it's made me the person I am today.
"Video games don't affect kids. If Pacman had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music." --anonymous/banner.

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:32 am
Krupp says...

I think the only thing I do right as a writer is tell stories. That's about it; i'm not much with grammar, i'm eloquent only when I'm doing a speech. My best talent is making up stories off of the top of my head and entertaining people...
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

152 Reviews

Reviews: 152
Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:50 am
Rubric says...

Haha I dream of being a writer, but the problem is I know it's a dream.

I was a very recalcitrant reader as a child aswell..I was one of those kids who only got seriously into reading with the Harry Potter craze...make of that what you will.

Since then I've been a pretty avid reader but I had to curb free reading and creative writing toward the end of my last year of high school. I still do a lot of reading, biut most of it is prescribed through uni.

I think the general ticket into creative writing is reading, and the interest people find in the books they read, the desire to replicate it and instill the same sense of wonder in others...

I'm reasonabely good on grammer, I think commas is one of the things I pick up on most on YWS.

My stories are fantasy fiction, which generally means I'm telling a story rather than sending a message.

These days my problem is that my current saga is getting broader (more novels, threads) but no deeper (not longer)
So you're going to kill a god. Sure. But what happens next?

Diary of a Deicide, Part One.

Got YWS?

There are those who say that life is like a book, with chapters for each event in your life and a limited number of pages on which you can spend your time. But I prefer to think that a book is like a life, particularly a good one, which is well to worth staying up all night to finish.
— Lemony Snicket