z

Young Writers Society

1st person VS. 3rd person narration

Do you prefer 1st or 3rd person narration?

1st person
59%
3rd person
41%

Total votes : 17

Random avatar

Reviews: 335
Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:06 pm
Fireweed says...

I was just curious... Do you prefer to read 1st or 3rd person narration? What's easier for you to write?

I've always liked to read 1st person, but for some reason only wrote in 3rd. I just began a story in 1rst person and I was surprised by how naturally it came to me! I really like it- it makes character depth easier IMO.

You?
"I myself am composed entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions."- Augusten Burroughs

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:35 pm
Sureal says...

I don't prefer either - it depends on the story.

Typically, I treat 3rd person as default, and only really use 1st person in stories where I want to create a strong bond between reader and protagonist. Main downside of using 1st person though, is that the reader knows the character won't die.
I wrote the above just for you.

Random avatar

Reviews: 7
Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:06 am
sodapop says...

I use both, but i prefer first person. I only use third person if i need to go into many of my character's minds to correctly tell the story.

I wouldn't say that you CAN'T kill off your first person characters. i have a few times...at the end of a story,

506 Reviews

Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:27 am
Sureal says...

That tends to annoy many people though. I wouldn't recommend doing it.

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:36 am
Prokaryote says...

Sureal wrote:That tends to annoy many people though. I wouldn't recommend doing it.

I've seen it done well -- Animorphs, beginning of the last book? ;)

... well, I liked it. :P

Prokaryote

506 Reviews

Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:38 am
Sureal says...

I never got to the end of Animorphs. I did try, but the next book I needed was only available for like £50, and there's no way I'm paying that much. I've got the vast majority of them though. I think I've only got another 10 or so books left to get (although it may be more).

Maybe in the Summer holiday I'll try and make my way through the series again?

74 Reviews

Reviews: 74
Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:24 am
Kenpachi Masamune says...

1st person is too limited for me. I always stick to 3rd person for stories with more then a single character. The whole I thing is really only good in limited situations and while Sureal thinks the character won't die, sometimes they do and the last bit of narration will be the final thoughts. Or it could be the narration into the story of the recent events that ultimately lead up to the character on the verge of death or some great fault or achievement. Just in time for an unexpected term or revelation.

721 Reviews

Reviews: 721
Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:54 am
Azila says...

It really depends on the character--if they're an odd person, who nobody knows what they are thinking, I usually like to use 3rd... that way you can keep the distance, while giving little clues here and there that the observing characters on the sidelines might not notice.

First person I like to use for emotional pieces, because it takes the readers into the mind of the character and (when done well) helps get the emotion across. The difficult part, though, is that you can't write metaphors and the like if they aren't something that your character would think... like they might think "The foliage above me reminds me of the yard at my grandma's house" but they wouldn't think "that foliage above looks like layered lace." Even if the latter would get the image across better. Really, you have to think in your character's mind and not your own--which can be really hard.

So both, really. :D

185 Reviews

Reviews: 185
Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:09 am
piepiemann22 says...

For shot stories i like to write in first, but third was always more natural, so I'll have to go with that.
I will always fight back, no matter what.

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:43 pm
Alainna says...

I used to only ever write in 3rd person and then one day out came a jumble of 1st person narrative that then turned into my current novel.

Since then I do a mix. To be honest, I prefer writing YA in 1st and other genres in 3rd.

Alainna
xxx
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

118 Reviews

Reviews: 118
Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:53 pm
myfreindsavamp says...

I like both so....
I tend to write in 3rd person though but i have a great idea for a diffrent kind of3rd person than what i ussully rite in....

I tend to get caught up in books that keep my attention so it doesnt matter....
-em
We've all been broken in some way. It's just how we express it that makes us dffrent form eachother.

“This precious book of love, this unbound lover,
To beautify him only lacks a cover.”
~William Shakespeare, The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:00 pm
ArtisanofGuild says...

sure it is easier to create a depth in your characters using First person, and perhaps allows the reader to appreciate the characters more. yet this can be done with thrid person as well, if execueted properly. read the Hobbit. Your voice, the most crucial in an authors book, is better projected through third person, and it is still possible to create lovable characters through it.

I guess its up to the writer, some choose bows others choose blades.

118 Reviews

Reviews: 118
Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:06 pm
myfreindsavamp says...

I agree but the Hobbit didnt intice me enuff past the first chapter.....
-em
We've all been broken in some way. It's just how we express it that makes us dffrent form eachother.

“This precious book of love, this unbound lover,
To beautify him only lacks a cover.”
~William Shakespeare, The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:17 pm
Samantha Eliza says...

I like to write in first person and read in it as well. I think it's probably because I feel like I can relate to the characters better and understand the main character's feelings easier. It's like I'm actually there, you know?

I am branching out, though, because the story I'm working on right now is in third person.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:54 am
Seraphim says...

Personaly I like to write in first person but I can read either.
I wouldn't mind writing in first person but I'm not that very good at that :(

you ever say spidgit finner unironically?
— FireEyes