z

Young Writers Society

Personality check

220 Reviews

Reviews: 220
Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:24 am
Sleeping Valor says...

Ok, so in my new story, the protagonist is playing for the bad-guys.

Meanwhile, the are a bunch of 'good guys' who have been sent to deal with the trouble she is helping to cause.

One of them is very righteous and quickly begins to hate our protagonist for being evil and corrupt. Since that's a very big part of his personality, I can't just get rid of it, but I really want to show readers, maybe before he meets our protagonist, that he's a good guy even if he's so angry.

Besides his burning hate for evil, I'm not settled on his personality. He could be arrogant, humble, etc. For now, I'd just love some suggestions of ways of showing his good side before his bad side is revealed.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
I'm like that song stuck in your head; I come and I go, but never truly dissapear.

And apparently I also write a blog.

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:07 am
lyrical_sunshine says...

Ooh, I have a character like that! Very passionate and strong, but also a butthead lol.

Hmm...

If he's sort of self-righteous he probably has a strong sense of justice and loyalty. He would probably be really disgusted by evil in the world and depressed about a lot of the hatred and strife going on. My character is very angry about the evil that's happened in his own life, so it makes him stubborn and pigheaded even as it makes him strong and passionate.

Don't know if that helped or not. *shrug* Good luck!

~Sunny
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

220 Reviews

Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:05 am
Sleeping Valor says...

=P Actually, that did help. *starts thinking away*

>.< I really should stop plotting out the actions of a character I haven't defined yet. Oh well. I think I've figured out how to work use his hate of evil to make him look good before it makes him look bad.

:D Thanks a bunch!
I'm like that song stuck in your head; I come and I go, but never truly dissapear.

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:17 am
Via says...

:)

These are the fun times.

Silent acts of kindness. Have another character see him do something good without him knowing it. Seriously, that's the winner! That way he can still act like the bad guy but the reader will know that he really isn't.
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

220 Reviews

Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:37 am
Sleeping Valor says...

lol. That actually works really well in my plot since it's the other character who sees him and notices how nice he is. I could do that! *more thinking*

I should really do a character sheet for him or something. =P

721 Reviews

Reviews: 721
Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:25 pm
Azila says...

You could just leave his "goodness" up in the air for the readers to realize later on in the story, when he does something really good? Then it would be kind of like "Ooh, but I thought he was a BAD guy!" You know?

Hope this helps. :roll:
~Azila~

220 Reviews

Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:13 am
Sleeping Valor says...

>.< Again with the late replies.

Hmm. Good idea, but I don't know how easily I can work that into the plot (very good idea, darn >.<). The problem with Derring (char mostly in question) is that he starts off good, and goes bad once he meets my MC. Though with good reason, since as far as he can tell she's pure evil. =P

Hmm. I need to work on him. >_> Darn, more work. Why can't I just have fun with my MC?? =_=

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:13 pm
Aedomir says...

Maybe you should get a really dire situation, one that could destory the good guys. Then, our hero kills the baddies and saves all the goodies. Maybe not so extreme,. but yo get the idea yeah? Justice and all that, you must show he is loyal.
We are all Sociopaths: The Prologue

Sociopath: So • ci • o • path noun
1. Someone who believes their behaviour is right.
2. Human.

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:56 pm
Wiggy says...

Hmmm....I think that he would most likely be arrogant, since he's so self-righteous. But if you'd consider that cliche, you could always unstereotype him and make him a timid, self-righteous person. Food for thought.

Just remember to always stay true to the character. Perhaps you could write out a few scenes with him in it, just to get the feel of him. You may find out things you never dreamed about him!

Best of luck!
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:12 pm
Aedomir says...

Diary of a villian? Is this Yazra we are talking about? If so, she just seems good. Giving her and innocent history and giving hr reasons to kill.
We are all Sociopaths: The Prologue

Sociopath: So • ci • o • path noun
1. Someone who believes their behaviour is right.
2. Human.

220 Reviews

Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:54 pm
Sleeping Valor says...

Not Yazra. I've got her mostly figured out *did some reworking of Yaz*. This is for the antags. =P Tey were so flat when I first thought them up that I didn't even want to write them.

Thanks for all the tips everyone!

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:25 pm
Shadow_Thief13 says...

Here's a tip for ya Valor.

What I do is imagine what the character likes to do or right down parts of the story from his/her point of view. Write down what they're feeling. What are they thinking. Find some emotion and personality hidden deep within the thoughts and secrets. It works for me! My character Crissiphone for example, when I'm writing about her and her thoughts on her part, I get caught up in the moment and am absorbed into her mind. I learn her secrets and what she feels...

Try it!

ST :D
By the Gods... Please let inspiration strike me! (Just in a non-violent way O.o)

All my life I've wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more specific.
— Jane Wagner