z

Young Writers Society

List of taboo writing words

270 Reviews

Reviews: 270
Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:49 pm
Alice says...

Three words that just make my skin crawl and want to smack the noob who wrote them. I used to use them, but not so much anymore.

Suddenly

*shudders* the word bugs me more than ants when its at the beginning of a sentence, add another two or three words in front of it it sounds so much more professional and just flat out better when its not there.

Thats the worst word.

Any others?
I just lost the game.

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:06 am
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

"Emphatically".
Hyuk hyuk.
ohmeohmy

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:34 am
Meep says...

"Suddenly" can be good, if you know what you're doing and use it sparingly. I think this is true of any word. I can't think of any one in particular that bothers me; it's more like ideas and concepts that bother me (like color changing eyes or badly explained sci-fi).
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:38 am
Snoink says...

My earliest teachers hated the word "pretty" and "nice." Therefore, I used them an obscene amount for FREAK. XD

The word "ejaculated" should never be used to indicate dialogue. Ever.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:38 am
Emerson says...

I'm fine with suddenly, when used properly and not too often!

"Almost" irritates me. Oh, as does "very". My father, who isn't a writer strangely enough, taught me when I was younger that no writer should ever use the word "very". We're writers, we can always find something to make it better. ^_~ And, adjectives in general! grr. heheh.

EDIT: oy, snoink, pretty? Yeah.... "That's pretty cool" *dies* I do that in spoken language. It's gross.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:51 am
Sam says...

'Exclaimed'.

And also 'heaving', in reference to two people...O_O If I ever read that in a story again, I may very well just heave myself.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:18 am
Twit says...

The word "ejaculated" should never be used to indicate dialogue. Ever.

That word crops up a lot in the Sherlock Holmes stories. Doyle can get away with it, I suppose. Maybe it just had one meaning back then. :roll:
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

210 Reviews

Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:29 pm
Meep says...

Snoink wrote:The word "ejaculated" should never be used to indicate dialogue. Ever.

<immature> *ROFL* </immature>

*ahem*

I'd have to second that, actually. If only because I would snicker like a thirteen year old boy every time I saw it.

I thought of a word that I can't stand, though: "orbs," when used as a, er, poetic alternative to saying "eyes."

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:36 pm
Polkadots says...

Accentuated.

Especially when it's followed by "her curves". Or when it's used in a sentence like "he said in a voice accentuated by a (insert stereotypical romantic accent here)"

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:47 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Meep wrote:I thought of a word that I can't stand, though: "orbs," when used as a, er, poetic alternative to saying "eyes."

Ack, I hate that!

In reference to eyes, though, I hate how a lot of writers use descriptions like, "startlingly :*insert eye color here*: eyes..." I don't know. I just absolutely loathe the word "startlingly", except when it's used humorously.

Oh, and "spunky". I despise how people always call the heroines "spunky". (Leah, Jenny and Sandra are anything but spunky.)
ohmeohmy

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:19 pm
Cade says...

Very is a bad word to use in writing. As Mark Twain said, "Substitute 'damn' every time you're inclined to write 'very'; your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be."
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

210 Reviews

Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:26 pm
Meep says...

Baroness Ink wrote:In reference to eyes, though, I hate how a lot of writers use descriptions like, "startlingly :*insert eye color here*: eyes..." I don't know. I just absolutely loathe the word "startlingly", except when it's used humorously.

I think they fail to realize what "startlingly" colored eyes would look like. These are startlingly green eyes; they look okay on an animé styled doll, but imagine meeting a person with eyes that color! :shock:

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:51 pm
gyrfalcon says...

Wow....*shame* I never even thought about "startlingly" and "orbs"....I do far too much eye descript as it is. *uber shame* *goes through stories and DELETES!!!!!*

Edit: wow, only Gypsie Eyes seemed riddled with "orbs" (killed!), and far fewer "startlingly"s than I thought...still, thanks much!!!!!
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:13 am
FlyingDream says...

"Gleamed, glittered, sparkled."

*Shudders* I really don't like those words. They seem like they belong in Barbie: Sparkle Fairy Princess Kingdom instead of in a novel.
To give dignity to a man is above all things.
~ Indian Proverb

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:04 am
Galatea says...

"I believe the road to hell is paved with adverbs." -Stephen King

Any descriptive ending in -ly should be removed from your writing immediately.

If you're doing your job as a storyteller, the audience should know how your character should be behaving. Thus,

"Go. Please." said Karen quietly.

is unnecessary

OR

You could say what you mean and write

"Go. Please." Karen whispered.

But 'Karen whispered desperately' is right out.

(Stephen King's On Writing is the absolute best text I have ever read as a writer. I highly recommend it to everyone.)
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

We understand how dangerous a mask can be. We all become what we pretend to be.
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind