z

Young Writers Society

Writing Habits

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:24 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Loud music, a constant referral to the YWS (I tend to write and check on the site simultaneously, especially when writing GP xD), bad posture whilst sitting, several thoughts - spoken aloud -- about how hungry I am, and I'm very against people staring over my shoulder at what I'm writing. It makes me incredibly nervous.

I'm not all that picky. XD Just so long as my silly young siblings aren't shouting "French" and singing, I can write.
ohmeohmy

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:30 am
dele24 says...

I like to write listening to music through headphones so it blocks out everything else.

Also I have to make sure my little bro isn't anywhere near me or he likes to sneak a peak at what I am writing which is extremely annoying, it makes me want to scream at him, but if I do I'll get into trouble :oops:

378 Reviews

Reviews: 378
Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:16 pm
sokool15 says...

I tend to sit down and write a HUGE block of the piece, all at one time. Either an entire chapter or nothing. And then I post it impulsively, without proof-reading it...yeah, I'm bad like that.

I like to eat while I'm typing...it helps me concentrate. Also, listening to music is great, but usually I'm typing really early in the morning or late at night, so I can't listen to music a lot.

I also can only really get my thoughts flowing when I'm typin on the computer. Writing by hand is okay for journals, but working on a novel is much better if I type. This is probably because I just type faster than I write.

Oh, but when I write by hand, I draw on my hands with my pen!

~ 8)
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
~Albert Einstein

270 Reviews

Reviews: 270
Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:08 am
Alice says...

I do! I have a bad one! I constantly info-dump! I hate it but...sometimes its the only way to make it work for me.
I just lost the game.

Reviews: 4
Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:43 am
redneckgirl91 says...

I have some-

I can only write when I am alone, I don't know why, but when my familys around I cant write-

I normally do my best writing at night around 11:00- too around 3:00am

I have to have Music on-

and I have to be online! .lol.
Due to a Lack of Intrest, tommrow is Cancled

Mike Nesmith of the Monkees

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:34 pm
Wiggy says...

I can't be near a computer. It makes me want to go on YWS or email or something like that to procrastinate writing.

I mostly write just when the idea strikes me. I know that's a bad habit (about perseverance and all that), but I normally sit down and write a whole story at once (unless it's a long story, which I have yet to accomplish). I have to write on looseleaf, with pen, preferably a clicky one. I chew on my pens while I'm thinking, and when I'm writing, the sentences kind of mesh around in my head. I think about the arrangement of words and then I put them on paper. I zone out when I'm writing...lol

It's kind of hard for me to get into a "mindset." I write, and just...zone out. I don't know of any other way to put it!

And no, I don't write naked.
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

125 Reviews

Reviews: 125
Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:09 am
PerforatedxHearts says...

I'm weird.

I crank up the volume, or place my mp4 on repeat on Coldplay, and just write.

Usually on the top bunk of my bed.

Then I procrastinate a bit by reading, then falling asleep, then reading, then writing.

And I usually get good ideas right when I'm about to fall asleep.

And I unsuccessfully set my alarm at 4;30 in the morning, despite the fact that I'll go back to sleep and that I do my best writing at extreme times (early early morning, late late night).

Sigh.
"Video games don't affect kids. If Pacman had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music." --anonymous/banner.

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:40 pm
dreamer372 says...

I look at things that are related to my stories , I like to talk to someone about my story it really helps me get idea for myself where it is going. This might be crazy but when i have no one to talk to i try to write out the conversion myself. It really helps

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:55 pm
Loose says...

XD I say my conversations before I write them.

Fruit loop!

Random avatar

Reviews: 7
Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:43 pm
Rhea says...

I CANNOT be creative on the computer. I must write in a spiral notebook.

I always write in pen, the cheaper the better. If I use a nice pen or fancy paper, I end up taking myself way too seriously and writing pages of pretty looking crapola.

Hardly ever listen to music while writing, it's distracting to the highest degree.

Rarely write outside. Also too distracting.

Sometimes before i start writing, I'll fill a whole page of how my writing sucks, I'm arrogant for even trying to write, ect. Then take it out of my notebook, rip it up, throw it away and start writing. It's good to get all that negativity out of the way.
http://oddgoddess.blogspot.com/
I love my blog.

"Better to be unborn than untaught, for ignorance is the root of all misfortune."
..........Plato

166 Reviews

Reviews: 166
Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:43 pm
Cheetah says...

I tend to do best with flowy black ink pens and college ruled notebook. I love college ruled paper. :) I also like writing with a lap desk on the floor rather than on a desk because I can spread out all my papers.
And passersby who heard his echoing laughter wondered what kind of grief man had to go through before he could laugh so free.

Reviews: 2
Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:01 am
shadowartist says...

I usually end having a favorite pen and I will go insane if I don't have it. I prefer to use black ink. If I have something to drink I go through it quickly. I space off and have the scene continue in my head then I forget about it.
I also write better when I am home alone. If somebody comes into my room while I'm writing I will stop, save, and exit.

260 Reviews

Reviews: 260
Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:18 am
TriSARAHtops says...

A little bit of posting necromancy here (although it seems as though this thread was briefly revived only to die again), but it's an interesting topic. Mostly because I have very few habits concerning writing. I rarely write in the morning, generally afternoon and evening instead, but I don't know if that's a habit so much as a reflection of the fact that I simple have moe time later in the day (also I'm not a morning person). I wish that writing itself was more of an entrenched habit, but alas...

*stares forlornly out the window*
if we wait until we're ready
we'll be waiting
for the rest of our lives

1634 Reviews

Reviews: 1634
Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:00 am
Deanie says...

I usually write best in the afternoon or the early morning (because I am most aware and awake). I like to write in silence and usually have to sit there for about five minutes going over the characters emotions so that I feel like I am in their situation better.

If I do write late at night, it's usually with music, so that I keep awake. This all relates to novel writing. But when I write poetry it can be anywhere, anytime and in any circumstance (funny how it most happens in class) when I am suddenly hit by inspiration.
Trust in God and all else follows.

Deanie, dominating the world since it was cool @Pompadour, 2014
Your username reminds me of a hotdog @Stegosaurus, 2015
Tried to make puns out of your username, but every attempt has been Deanied @Candywizard, 2015

476 Reviews

Reviews: 476
Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:42 am
View Likes
Apricity says...

I'm a rebel. I have no designated writing times. However, I do have a preferred time, and that's usually at night. When everyone in my house had fallen asleep and it's just the dark and the silence. Basically, midnight to one am if I'm not tired.

Sometimes I write on the morning, if I'm awake enough but I usually read instead. During school times, I write during breaks at school.

I just write whenever I have time, or whenever I feel like it.
Previously Flite

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.' ― Friedrich Nietzsche

~Open for business~

“A good book isn't written, it's rewritten.”
— Phyllis A. Whitney, Guide to Fiction Writing