z

Young Writers Society

Does everyone else hate their own writing?

Do you like your own writing?

Yup
16%
No...
23%
It varies from piece to piece
48%
I'm not sure?
10%
What a pointless question
3%

Total votes : 61

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:15 pm
Sureal says...

Or is it just me?

I sometimes find it hard - and sometimes I fail completely - to push on, because I become so disillusioned with what I've written so far. Even something I think is okay whilst I'm writing/editting it, I'll look back in a day or two, and the prose will feel so thin, the characters lifeless, and the plot weak.

So, is this something many of you have a problem with?
I wrote the above just for you.

Random avatar

Reviews: 196
Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:22 pm
Lady Sydney says...

No, not me. There are times when I don't like my idea for the story (the plot, the characters, etc...), but I never actually hate my work. I know what you mean, though. I've gone through that I don't know how many times. :roll:

Extremely annoying.

I try to write everything a few chapters ahead and then work back, (Weird, huh?) but sometimes it just doesn't work and needs to be trashed. I've already trashed one here, but that's somewhat besides the point.

I will always find something to toss out, due to either lack of interest or if everything crashes, but I can never hate my stuff. Ya know?

Bah. I can't explain well. :roll:
Formerly known as Silly Sydstix... as well as Aquarius Angel.

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:46 pm
Writersdomain says...

I wouldn't say I hate my writing, but no matter what the piece, I am always painfully insecure and self-conscious about it. I can overcriticize my writing so much that every last word makes me feel sick, no matter how well-written it actually is.

But yes, I know your problem all too well. X_X

As for battling it, I've found that not going back to edit until something is finished helps a lot. And if, like me, you have a problem with comparing your voice to other voices, abstaining from reading too much can actually help.
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:07 pm
Poor Imp says...

Yes.

...Not always and not endlessly, but rather often.

IMP
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:22 pm
Cade says...

I dunno, it depends...it usually inspires more frustration than hatred. I don't think that most of it is very good, but that doesn't make me hate it. I just get sort of annoyed at it (and myself).
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:31 am
Areida says...

I'm usually just depressed by its utter mediocrity. But I don't usually loathe and despise anything I write.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

164 Reviews

Reviews: 164
Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:35 am
Poltergiest says...

When I first began to write I thought I was really good. Now that I have 100+ pages that stuff seems sooooooo bad. So, yea, from peice to peice.

~Pol
Last edited by Poltergiest on Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I used to rule the world, see it rise when I gave the word, now in the morning I sleep alone, sweep the streets I used to own

-Coldplay, Viva La Viva

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:44 am
Sam says...

I try to remain neutral...as it happens, when I really, really love a piece that I've done, other people read it and go, "Eh." Which isn't good for the self esteem. XD

Ergo I'm usually indifferent. But I usually like the idea of the plot and the characters better than the actual prose, even though it's quite fun to read through drafts for a laugh. It's why we love NaNo, yes?
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:47 am
Leja says...

Usually... until I take a red pen to it! Then I'm not so mad at the style as with the nuances that I can't seem to grasp :D

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:33 am
chocoholic says...

It varies for me. Sometimes I hate it, sometimes I love it and sometimes I don't really know. Occasionally I read stuff I wrote years ago, and I wonder why I thought I was a good writer, but we're always getting better. I do love the stuff I wrote before I could write properly. It was so cute!

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:43 am
Teague says...

I hate it.

I've always hated it.

It's a wonder I get anything done.
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:47 am
Aet Lindling says...

It varies from piece to piece, and sometimes even from bit of piece to bit of piece. For example, in Gorrath: Part 3 (I KNOW it's amazing! after millenia it's done! oh yes, and I'm not trying to plug, just giving an example) I like the way I wove it all together, but I think my writing was a bit too purple.
dun worry
it's all gun be k

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:32 am
tinny says...

I always cringe, always. It takes effort to read through things again, because I just don't want to face what I've written, hence not enough editing gets done.

I can write something, and then be really happy with it, and surprised that I came out with something so good, and then a few days later I can't stand to read it anymore.
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:55 am
Ohio Impromptu says...

Constantly. However, in saying that, I guess I hate the things I write because I'm able to know when something I've written is really good. Sometimes (very rarely) I'll write something, re-read it and say to myself "you are amazing, you know that?" Haha.

Although the vast majority is horribly disappointing to me, I keep writing (quite often cringing at the things I don't like) in the hopes that I'll produce something I do like.

In short, I either hate or love everything I've ever written... there is no middle ground. The hate greatly outweighs the love though.
Gone, gone from New York City,
where you gonna go with a head that empty?
Gone, gone from New York City,
where you gonna go with a heart that gone?

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:38 am
Jiggity says...

Hm.

Its odd for me, I am bizarrely confident of my writing (with nothing to go on as well), so no I don't hate what I do, or the stories I tell.

At the same time, I do recognise my strengths and weaknesses. And that, I think, is important for finding a balance. The only reccuring thought that I have - and it never ceases to horrify me - is that what I write is flimsy.

And its as bleak a thought as you can have. I console myself though, because I know you can only go from strength to strength in this profession, and I'm sure with more experience and time, I will gain the depth that I (and I alone atm) feel I lack.

I'm playing the waiting game...with myself lol. That being said, I dont love what I do either. Its just...what I do.
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

I’ll marry the finest banana in the galaxy for you.
— Tuckster