z

Young Writers Society

Amy Foster

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:14 am
Snoink says...

OMG. I've been reading lots of short stories and this one has particularly caught my eye. It's called, "Amy Foster" and it's strange... so strange that I thought I wouldn't like it at first, but the description of the man is so captivating that I just can't get my mind off of it!

Amy Foster

What do you think? Do you think that Amy remembered him at all? Why was the doctor so detached, and yet knew so much?

*snuggles story* Talk about it here!
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

Random avatar

Reviews: 124
Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:10 am
Reyu says...

I got to 4
*disappears*
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

~George Carlin

The Completely Evil Plan.

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:18 am
Shireling says...

I skimmed through it really fast. It had so much description at the beginning that it turned me off it, but since you thought so highly of it I kept skimming to find out why.

The description of the man really was quite good. His habits and appearance were well characterized. The Doctor, I thought was a talkative annoyance even for a narrator. But I did blow through the story very fast especially parts of the middle so I didn't get a complete feel for him.

As for Amy, I am sure she will remember the man. She liked him because he was sort of exotic, so different from the sameness and everydayness of her life. Yet that same strangeness is what eventually frightened her into running away from him as he was dying. Every time she looks at her kid she's going to remember.

As I've said, I went through the story very fast but I might re-read it to try and figure out how the author created such a vivid image of the shipwrecked stranger.
Calling all Ringers, your presence is required at the Middangeared group...Please?

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:29 am
Snoink says...

Heheh, yeah, the doctor annoyed me as well, but what struck me was how much he knew about everything, without being personally involved. It was kind of creepy. Could he be symbolizing an omniscient presence, or is something else at work here?
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

You own everything that happened to you. Tell your stories. If people wanted you to write warmly about them, they should have behaved better.
— Anne Lamott