z

Young Writers Society

Torturing your character

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:39 am
Firestalker says...

When I'm writing I feel like torturing a particular character a lot.

For an example I'm writing a book called Shape shifters and there's a character called Lara.

I like to torture her a lot.

For another example one of my friend who have not registered or even heard of YWS. He likes to torture one of his characters named Sally.

Two questions
1 Why do i like to torture characters, is it normal or not
2 Do any of you torture your characters?
--
Who is not Insane one man ask, the answer being a fool.
Are you Insane the same man asks, - "Oh yes!. The Mad Hatter being saner!"

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:43 am
deleted6 says...

I wouldn't say I enjoy it, I need to keep reminding myself it'll make a better story. Anyway no I don't enjoy it, I hate hurting my characters. So not as far as i know if you like torturing your characters. If you do it to make the story better it's okay. Anyway that's my thoughts.
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

141 Reviews

Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:05 pm
Firestalker says...

Like i said before i only like to torture one character. When hurting the other characters it not only hurts them, but me too.
--

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:32 pm
Wiggy says...

I don't like to torture characters too much. The nice thing about doing it is that they're not a living person, and you can do whatever you want to them.

That is, until they take over...:shock:
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:38 pm
Emerson says...

hahaha.

Well, I have to ask, do you mean emotional torture, or physical torture?

I have two examples of this...

But as for 1, I do it because it usually also creates good conflict. My character ends up hating me [I treat them as real people..] because I'm putting them through a lot of pain, but it is lovely for the story.

As for two, I'm certainly torturing the heck out of Clive, he's so romantically shy. And Rosen, I'm putting him through hell. I've managed to force him into a, ah... not so good situation? He isn't happy about it. (These characters are from my novel, Speakeasy)

Then one story I wrote consisted of physical torture upon the other character xD So... Yes. Certainly that one. Poor Lucas. (This is a short story, which I will not name so no one can find it ^_^)
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:52 pm
Writersdomain says...

Hee hee

I used to think torture was the only want to create conflict and some of my old, old characters are messed up to an unbelievable degree. I don't torture my characters as much now, though there is a lot of emotional and some physical torture in Flames and Tears. My rule is that I don't torture a character unless it does something to further their change throughout the story.

For instance, at the end of Flames, Strick almost dies from the Queen's torture, but all that pain was used to push him to a breaking point so other characters and I can finally pry open his shell and bring some changes about.

Torturing characters makes me sad though. :cry: I love them.
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:16 pm
Rydia says...

I've never tortured a character just because I wanted to but my characters receive their share of pain, both physically and emotionally.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

Random avatar

Reviews: 20
Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:58 pm
Imelda says...

I do both emotional and physical torture, often, and horribly, to my MC. :D It's not (just) because I enjoy it, I think it improves the story to have the reader go *gasp* frequently.

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:06 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

A lot of the time it depends on the character.

I have put my characters through grief, like Rica from when I was twelve (I am a sick writer) who was tortured emotionally by her little sister for forever.......
ohmeohmy

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:31 pm
logosgal says...

I usually don't like to torture my characters, but I had this one cartoon hippie when I was 14 that I tortured almost every panel that he was in. It wasn't anything really bad or anything, but he was convinced that I hated him by the end of the first page I drew with him. :twisted: Actually, he was one of my favorites from that comic world, but I never took it seriously.

On the other hand, some of the main characters that I do take seriously pretty much have it way too easy to make an interesting character. They could definitely stand to have some more hardship in their lives...
Home is where the books are.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:37 pm
Snoink says...

I love torturing characters! It's fun! Do I do it often? In writing, no. Not really. Though emotional abuse is always fun (hahah, this sounds bad) because then you have a shimmering ray of hope and then BAM! EVERYONE DIES! Or, better yet, you HOPE that everybody dies because life would be so much better if they were all dead because the torment and stuff is so intense.

I mean, sometimes I feel sorry, like when I decided to make this one character really really really effed up, because she didn't seem to deservce it that much, but when I had this one character's arm basically disintergrate with gangrene, I didn't really bat an eye.

Though... I might be a little strange.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:44 am
Sam says...

The only character that's constantly in a state of limbo would probably be Mr. Smart- though I don't torture him intentionally. It's all Adelais' fault.

I think just putting your characters in situations that you know they're going to hate or are uncomfortable with qualifies as torture. For them, anyway- paper people are a lot easier to break than the real ones.

But, yeah- doing character dialogue with him, I told Tilly that I wanted to wipe my tongue on the carpet. Everything he feels is just so nasty and melancholy that you can't really help it. XD
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

141 Reviews

Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:36 am
Firestalker says...

Finally some one agrees with me

*Claps for Snoink*
--

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:50 pm
Fishr says...

Eh, when I think of the term torture, I assume a "torture chamber." XD I have them locked in a tiny room, and they're helpless.

But actually, "torture" to me is assigning hardships. That can be emotional, physical or mental. Emotional and mental hardships are so much more entertaining because those wounds are usually deep, and they do not always heal quickly. I have one character that would be a nice candiadate for the modern Ward. Too bad he was born in 1709, LOL! Colonal America shunned the "loonies."
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

124 Reviews

Reviews: 124
Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:44 pm
Saphira says...

I tend to torture my characters just because it makes a better story. The more pain and suffering they go through, the better the story. Also if you make them go through a lot then it takes more to pull them out. That means that you add new levels to your story and you make it more interesting.

Also, i just like torturing them! :D
Come to the dark side. We have cookies!

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
— Steve Martin