z

Young Writers Society

Story competition

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:31 am
dele24 says...

The competition I want to enter has this you have to agree to:
I certify that the manuscript entered by me is my own original unaided work, and has not been published or broadcast, or submitted for publication or broadcast, and has not been entered into any other competitions. I also certify that I have read and understood the Conditions of Entry and agree to be bound by them.

Does the unaided bit mean you cannot post it here and get critiques from people on YWS?

What do you think?

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:21 am
Rydia says...

Yeah I think it does. That's an awful lot of conditions!
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:24 am
Firestalker says...

I say its not much coonditions. you just right a good new story and submit it.
--
Who is not Insane one man ask, the answer being a fool.
Are you Insane the same man asks, - "Oh yes!. The Mad Hatter being saner!"

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:22 pm
Pushca says...

Maybe. Seems more to me like it's not supposed to be co-written.
"Nothing I could write would be as shocking and offensive as censorship itself." -Deb Caletti

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:36 pm
Twit says...

Yeah, I think it means that you can't put it on here, because other people will be able to see and read it. So putting it on here is like a form of publishing.
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:42 pm
Sam says...

Actually, no- it's perfectly okay to post it here. I indirectly quote Miss Snark, literary agent:

As long as it doesn't have an ISBN number, it's not published.

Ta-da! So, never fear. *hugs Snark*
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

166 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 166
Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:46 pm
Charlie II says...

I hate to be the party pooper but I reckon posting on here isn't such a good idea if you want to enter it.

my own original unaided work

I think the unaided bit is the important bit here. It looks to me that if the critiques on YWS aid you in any way then it breaks the rules :( . I reckon you're right. Sorry mate.

On the other hand, you can post different writing here and get it critiqued and learn from that, or you can write it without any help and see how it goes. You can always post it on YWS after the competition if you still want to!

Hope I've helped :cry:

DarkLight
I am thankful for laughter, except when milk comes out of my nose.
-- Woody Allen

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:02 pm
Emerson says...

I'd go with what Sam says--she's good with this stuff.

I suppose it would be aided if someone else wrote it for you and you edited it and sent it in as your own. Posting something here does not, technically in a way, make it published, though by writing anything on a piece of paper it is also published. It's an odd and confusing mixture of things to try and understand, but I would say Sam is right.

Worst comes to worst, you post it, get critiques, than have someone delete it. It might still be left in archives, but then it is unattainable by anyone on the internet, where as if you did a google search for the titles of one of my stories on YWS, you'd probably find a link right to it on YWS. [Did that make sense?]
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

And then, as if written by the hand of a bad novelist, an incredible thing happened.
— Bartimaeus of Uruk