z

Young Writers Society

To describe or not to describe; that is the question.

Do you describe your character's personality and appearance?

Yes
70%
No
5%
Occasionally
25%

Total votes : 20

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:36 am
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

((I'm assuming this belongs here as it's "Discussion". If not, mods, please move it to a more suitable place))

This is something I've been thinking about a lot recently.

Do you describe your characters? As in hair color, eye color, etc., out of character profiles?

These days I associate that kind of thing with Mary-Sueism (because they're always attractive), and I leave a lot of it up to the reader's imagination, only dropping subtle hints. Like in Geezer's Property- I've mentioned that Leah has brown hair, but that's all. And in passing. I'm actually trying to figure out what Sherman looks like, lol.

Any opinions?
ohmeohmy

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:46 am
Poor Imp says...

Honestly, I like to know what a character looks like - which, I suppose, makes the question for me 'how' not 'whether or no'. ^_^

When I write, it depends very much on the character and the style of the piece I'm writing. Describing features with actions or aspect is rather fun. Comparing a character's appearance to surroundings, in colouring or some such thing - also rathe fun. ^_^ It can be a game - what you one can make painfully obvious without being obvious.

Er...an example maybe, as the above looks bloody vague:

Vetren'iy draft/sketch wrote:The slight youth at his elbow brushed a dusty sleeve across his face, smudging pale cheeks the shade of his hair. But the motion covered the flicker in his eyes: keen interest and a sardonic eddy of humour.

...not brilliant, but to the point, yes? ^_^

Description is lovely when not written with maudlin thoughtlessness or garish worship of the subject character's good looks. ^_^

IMP
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:48 am
Caligula's Launderette says...

Yes, yes I do. I've always been a descriptive writer, hell, I started out as one. I find that you don't need to Mary-Sue-it, that there are other ways of describing your character physically, as well as their personality.

For example, from my newest Fool's Duel entry:

1. The boy scrunched his dark, chubby fingers around one yellow arm-sleeve of Yvette’s dress, like the circular, dark smudges dotting the centers of the yellow daises in Mistress Higgins’s solarium.

2. Yvette grinned, widely, and the gesture split her freckled face, dimples appearing. Sebastian felt a surge of pleasure within him, smiles were a rare thing these days, if Yvette was smiling, then, maybe, just maybe, things would not be so terrible. Her eyes, the same shade as sea-kelp sparkled bright, in accordance with her smile.

This is from Guttersnipe.

1. She was a thin young woman, waiflike, as if malnourishment had stunted her growth. Her hair, an intense shade of burnished copper, was cut to frame her face; her eyes were a deep coffee brown, the same shade as her coat.

Ta,
Cal.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:52 am
Writersdomain says...

It really depends on the character. I often give the reader a vague sense of my character's appearance (unless something about the character's appearance is significant in which case I emphasize it), but I don't like pounding it into the reader's head with long paragraphs of description. Often times I think of my characters in colors, so knowing what they look like is important to me.

When I write, I think in freeze frames meaning I visualize an exact frozen scene and pick and choose what to describe. Thus character's appearances come naturally to me, and, if they don't, I just create some appearance that seems to fit the character. I sometimes like leaving the reader in the dark with appearances, but with most of the things I write, I have some kind of appearance description.

My favorite character description (from Flames):

The third Svarë stood with contrived confidence, staring at the stake where he was to burn. He looked so calm, yet so frightened, so accepting and yet so shaken, as if every moment was a hard-won fight to keep the terror from his gaze. Black hair hung in tangled tufts around his face, arms bound tightly behind his straight back. His dark eyes glowed with an unheeded emotion and a resolve about his fate, and he winced sharply as the man behind him elbowed him hard in the back.

As for describing personality, no. If a narrator has to come out and say 'Sally is shy and has a funny personality', the writer probably has some problems with characterization. Sometimes other characters will talk about one character's personality, but I don't think the narrator should come out and say things like that normally.
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

270 Reviews

Reviews: 270
Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:45 am
Alice says...

I always descirbe my characters, but sometimes its apparently annoyingly specific. Is that bad? I mean when I'm first introducing my characters in a situation I descirbe EVERYTHING about them, what they're wearing, how they have their hair, how they're positioned, and what the pov thinks of them. Is that too specific?
I just lost the game.

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:33 am
Sam says...

Ah...I do for some characters, but it's spread out all over the place- you might learn one thing one place, or something another, but it all depends on the POV. If the invisible narrator dude is following Upton about, they're going to pay a lot more attention to detail than someone like Luke, who just doesn't care.

I find that character description isn't the greatest thing- it's sort of like how horror books are often scarier than the movies. Your mind fills in the missing details with the things that are the most repulsive to it...

For example, I don't describe David (who is an absolute god) a whole lot, because my idea of hopelessly gorgeous may be totally different for you. Rather than saying "wavy dark hair, dark eyes, refined features" or something possibly more cheesy, it's better if you think of him as hot in your own way. ^_~

author13: I wouldn't recommend doing that, since it's sort of an infodump. Infodumps, even if they're full of yummy character stuff, generally aren't a good idea.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:50 am
snap says...

I only really describe my characters if it's essential to the plot somehow. I'll give a vague idea of what they look like, but I like my readers to have their own idea of how they look. I, of course, know exactly how my characters look, but more often than not, I won't tell the reader exactly WHAT that is. The ironic part is that I am a VERY descriptive writer, in all other things, at least. I guess it just goes to show that I AM capable of restraining myself. :)
The beautiful part of writing is that you don't have to get it right the first time, unlike, say, a brain surgeon.
~ Robert Cormier

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:20 am
Snoink says...

Hahaha... of course. Sometimes you can bring personality to the character through description.

So...

He was standing at the top of the staircase, wearing a fine suit, both of his elbows hanging lazily off the railing. He twirled a gold wristwatch around his fingers, more out of habit than out of concern. The freak stared at a freshly cut carnation in his pocket. It was red.

That describes Claude.

Now, it's not about his hair color or anything, but it shows what kind of man he is, just by a simple description.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:29 am
Alteran says...

I do it but I take my time. Usually my main character is desribed by the end of the 1st chapter. Sometimes I like to string it out.

Helps me stop from telling and info dumping.
"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:51 am
sanguine_dreams says...

I tend to describe them, but I take my own sweet time with it so it doesn't end up a really boring 3-paragraph thing, but instead a sentence here and there.
"My form is a filthy type of yours." -the Creature, Frankenstein

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:09 am
tinny says...

I usually scatter bits and bobs of descriptions all over the place, there they need to be mentioned, rather than for the sake of it. That's if I remember, when I was younger I used to load on the description with a spade, but then I was told it was too much, and swung the other way, so now I'm not sure if I'm telling enough about what they look like XD

When I do describe, it can be tricky as I don't always have a fixed image of what my characters look like, they can change quite frequently, so I don't like to go into too much detail because of it.
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:23 am
Rydia says...

I think description is essential. A reader needs the visual image.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:25 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Of the characters or the surroundings, kitty?

In agreement with much of the above- writing about characters' looks is fun. I find it fun, but I keep it from my work in spite of this.

It's like Sam. I've mentioned that Sherman is out of shape...heh heh....but everybody's idea of "out of shape" is different. So is everybody's idea of the color brown or auburn. And going into details about the exact shade of brown and his weight- psssssssssssh. That would be sentimental nonsense, in my opinion.

Pretty neutral, but it lets the story continue naturally. ^^
ohmeohmy

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:57 pm
Poor Imp says...

Sam makes rather a good point on the sucbjective side of things. ^_^ If one is judging a character to be one thing, one type, rather than simply tossing in a hint or sentence about his visible appearance, one might, ah, have disagreements with the reader. Good idea to keep it somewhat vague then.

But the scattering things is always a good way as well. To let an appearance grow with a story is often best for the narrative and pace; character development aside.

IMP
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:23 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Yes, I do, but I don't use a block paragraph to do it. I get the basic shell of their appearance, and just mention details in passing, so that their appearance sort of builds up and becomes more solid and real as you get to know the character better, the further you move through the story.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

The man who never makes a mistake always takes orders from one who does.
— Anonymous