z

Young Writers Society

Robert Jordan

571 Reviews

Reviews: 571
Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:50 pm
Esmé says...

Admittedly, as far as I know I haven’t read any book by the author, but you guys got me interested. If I ever get my hand on one of them, I’ll probably pick it up :D

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:21 am
Rydia says...

You certainly should. He's in my top ten authors list =)
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:44 pm
Fantasyfreak14 says...

I think these books are amazing. It took me almost a whole school year to finish them, and I am eagerly awaiting the next. Mat has got to be my favorite character by far. All the stuff he gets himself into...its funny. Min is probably my favorite female character. Elayne is such a snob. I kinda feel bad for Rand though, he's so messed up. It seems like his insanity increases as the books go on. He's kind of scary though.
Anyway, brilliant series. The characterization is fantastic, though there are some parts in the series when I'm like "what's the point of having a chapter in the point of view of a completely random and meaningless character?"
I guess he wanted to show the world's reaction to certain drastic events.
"Its a brave new world."
-Sylar

152 Reviews

Reviews: 152
Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:33 am
Rubric says...

I have to say that I agree with FantasyFreak, there are reams of subplots about characters that are only mildly interesting/relevant. I mean how many batches of Aes Sedai are roaming the continent searching/fleeing/investigating....

I've read up to book 11...I think. The books are good but I'd view the overall length as a detractor rather than a selling point. Far from being superior to Tolkien because of the excessive length, Jordan managed to take far, far longer to tell a story that is neither as gripping nor as entertaining.

Tolkien is a far more original writer, and a better storyteller.

Rubric.

P.S did anyone notice the massive King Arthur referencing in WOT? Sword in stone, Morgause, Arthur Paendrag...
So you're going to kill a god. Sure. But what happens next?

Diary of a Deicide, Part One.

Got YWS?

'This must be Thursday,' said Arthur to himself, sinking low over his beer. 'I never could get the hang of Thursdays.'
— Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy