z

Young Writers Society

Robert Jordan

Reviews: 2
Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:30 pm
SoCalCub says...

has anyone here been reading the Novels by Robert Jordan?
i myself am on the 6th book of 12 and by the first was overwhelmed with awe. in my opinion this story by him is by far comparable to LOTR. (dont kill me...*shrinks in terror* im a huge LOTR fan too) if anyone has been reading them let me know what you think.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:49 pm
Snoink says...

*Moved to Fiction Discussion*
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

Random avatar

Reviews: 20
Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:05 pm
Imelda says...

I picked them up recently but to be honest I can't get past the first couple of chapters. There's nothing there to grip me at all, no action, no characterisation that makes me care about the people, and no apparent storyline. I also find the way he forms his sentences extremely difficult to follow. I don't have much time for reading any more, and I'd rather devote it to books I'm enjoying, so ... back to the library it goes.

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:46 am
Alteran says...

They're great books. I've only read a few myself, due to time restraints but you kinda have to have a taste for the genre to really get sucked into it.

It's not super fast paced which let's you absorb everything and it amazes me how he can split so many chracters and in the end bring them back together.

He's given me many ideas.
"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:38 am
Rydia says...

I love these books! I'm on crossroads of twilight at the moment which is... Let me go look... Book 10. So who's favourite male character is Perrin? He's certainly mine, though Matt is also awesome. As for the girls, I like Nynaevne best. (Yeah, no chance I can spell it.)
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:05 am
Writersdomain says...

I read the first few books of that series. While I liked the writing and found the plot interesting, after a while, there were so many characters I was completely lost and it got very repetitive.

Great writer, but I don't care much for how complicated the story gets.
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:07 am
SoCalCub says...

i personally love the complication of the story. how the characters all come together as they have. the drama is astounding. i find my self screaming "NOOO" when bad things happen. and "YESS!!!" when good things do happen. not that i dont with most books, but still. the story is thought out beyond what i could ever think of. my favorite character is Perrin. i am only one LoC right now. (book 6) and am just starting it. im only on Ch. 4. but i know that there are some big things to happen in this book. well, all you WoT fans, its good to know that im not the only one.

tell me, how did you come to find these books. i myself was introduced the them by my youth pastor and very good friend. he read them when he was in the navy, and bought me the first one. lol, then i bought him the first, and we kinda when back and forth buying each other the one's we didnt have. i now have all but 11, 12(which isn't written)
anyway, glad there are other WoT fans out there..lol
An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest.
-Benjamin Franklin-

647 Reviews

Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:04 am
Alteran says...

I found book two and five in my grandma's closet and read the second one first. I was hooked and bought the first one and read the the 3rd. Trying to buy them but i just never have any money.

Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:45 pm
SoCalCub says...

if you get the mass produced version like me (they are the paper back version ^_^) then they should only be like 7 bucks. i personally like paper back best because like with the harry potter books, i bought those in hard back and they all fell apart on me, so, since i got the first one in paperback i just stuck with it. again....mass produced version is like 7-8 bucks (US).
-Benjamin Franklin-

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:27 pm
Rydia says...

My mum buys mine for me at birthdays and things. She likes to fuel my passion to read almost as much as I do! I happened on these by chance actually. I was browsing in a charity shop (You can buy a book for 50p or £1 for hard backs and it helps save lives so I often visit once or twice a month)

Anyway, I picked up a few by authors that I liked and then saw the first of WoT, read the back and decided to give it a go. I rather liked it so I bought two from amazon. Next birthday mum got me three and four. At christmas five and six and this year for my birthday I got seven, eight, nine and ten. I'm going through those pretty fast now though so I might go ahead and treat myself to number eleven when I finish ten. I should probably read some of my other books first though. I have 19 from various series and by favourite authors that I haven't got round to reading. Lol. Between us, my sister and I must have pretty close to 500 books. Maybe more. In fact I might count them... Yeah I got a lot of time on my hands now I've had my last exam =)
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:21 pm
Leja says...

I read the first book, but I just can't get into the second one, so I'm out of the loop entirely. I did like the first one, though.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:03 am
Jiggity says...

I personally think that, in some respects, he surpasses Tolkien, and indeed, any other fantasyst. This is not only because of the awesome characterisation, but also because of the sublime storytelling. The reason I feel he surpasses Tolkien is because of the length of his story, he matched what Tolkien did, then went on to do it again and again for another 10 books with still more to come.

I admire the pace with which he's gone, resisting the temptation to rush. It is far, far, harder to weave together such a complex story slowly and with care and equal time divided between all characters, then it is to rush. And what is, admittedly a fairly--some would say--cliche main plot is actually outdone by the brilliance and diversity of the sub plots, and the gradual build up of pace and action has been nothing but sublime.

Sheer brilliance. I have read them all, obviously, and am eagerly awaiting the next.
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:33 am
SoCalCub says...

Jiggity wrote:I personally think that, in some respects, he surpasses Tolkien, and indeed, any other fantasyst. This is not only because of the awesome characterisation, but also because of the sublime storytelling. The reason I feel he surpasses Tolkien is because of the length of his story, he matched what Tolkien did, then went on to do it again and again for another 10 books with still more to come.

I admire the pace with which he's gone, resisting the temptation to rush. It is far, far, harder to weave together such a complex story slowly and with care and equal time divided between all characters, then it is to rush. And what is, admittedly a fairly--some would say--cliche main plot is actually outdone by the brilliance and diversity of the sub plots, and the gradual build up of pace and action has been nothing but sublime.

Sheer brilliance.

uhh...what he said...lol
-Benjamin Franklin-

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:47 am
Samara says...

i TRIED really hard to get into them. and i'm still going to try. but i got about two hundred pages into it and it began to hurt my head. so i picked up some lighter summer reading (Maximum Ride :) )
"I can't stand him. His ego is splattered all over that screen and it's making me nauseous."
~Me referring to Ashton Kutcher.

"I think the dragon should eat him."
~My boyfriend referring to Eragon

647 Reviews

Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:12 am
Alteran says...

*Hugs Jiggity*

I'm so glad someone else thinks that. I mean it's like amazing. It was only supposed to be an 8 book series and he's gone way past it.

I think Jordan has a great mind and great ability. *huggles books*

I have to ask. Does every question or statement regarding the quote generator end up in the quote generator?
— WeepingWisteria