z

Young Writers Society

Tamora Pirece

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:50 am
Elelel says...

I liked the Tortall books better, but the circle of magic ones where kind of cool. I didn't much like the circle opens ones though. Except Briar's. Mass destruction with plants. Fun stuff.

Lioness was great. The third book wasn't the best, but I liked the others. Immortals and Protector of the Small were good too, although I have now reread them so many times I don't know if I'll be able to again for a long, long time.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

571 Reviews

Reviews: 571
Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:48 pm
Esmé says...

Personally, I think that she is a really good YA writer, and I like her work. Admittedly, I think I was a tad more crazy about her two years ago than now, but I still return to her books now and again, especially since they are one of the few that I ave in English (Trickster’s Queen and The Will of the Empress).

As I said, two years ago I was on a Pierce craze, and I reread like three times every book of hers that I could get my hands on. I read Alanna and Protector of the small, the Circle and Immortal series too. I think I liked Alanna the best, though I would have to read it again to be sure. Immortal was also great. Well, everything was, but I have a relatively short memory, and books that I used to think were great aren’t such anymore, lol.

Nevertheless, the Trickster doublet still remains my favorite.

Also, I admire the way of how she created a totally new world, and even if sometimes her characters weren’t so very new and original, you were made to care for them. She writes in an interesting way, and grabs the reader’s attention.

Also, there are excerpts of her books on her side :D

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:13 am
sanguine_dreams says...

I love, love, LOVE Tamora! The only books of hers I didn't like were the Protector of the Small quartet. It's like the Song of the Lioness quartet, but boring! The best part is that as you go through the years with her writing, you will see more overall depth in each story.

And yeah, the Trickster books were absolutely amazing, though my favorite is Will of the Empress. Probably because I was blushing right along with Daja and Sandry at a certain part. :oops:

BTW, Wikipedia can kiss my butt. "Romantic Fantasy"? Is that the genre? Uh, no, it's NOT! It has romantic subplots, you idiots, and few fiction books don't!
"My form is a filthy type of yours." -the Creature, Frankenstein

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:32 am
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

ShadowTwit wrote:Nah, never liked her stuff AT ALL.

We seem to be in agreement a lot, dear Twit. :D

And yes. I cannot stand Pierce. I read something about magic dancing and I wasn't impressed. The characters weren't memorable and the world was just....boring. :P
ohmeohmy

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:17 pm
dele24 says...

I used to love reading all her books when I was younger, espiecially Protector of the Small and The Lioness Quartet. I also read three of the Circle of Magic (the library never got the last one) and three of the Immortal (I don't know which one I didn't read, but I definatley read the last one.) I haven't read any for years, I never read Tricksters anything so I don't know what its about. But my fav would have to be the last book of the Protector of the Small, it was totally awesome.

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:37 am
Dreami says...

I enjoyed the books, and thought they were good, but I wouldn't ever buy them - I might pick them up at the library if I had nothing else to read.

Alanna is the only series I have read, and it bugs me... she's kinda slutty. At least she ends up with George, I hated hated hated Jonathan with a burning passion.

280 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 280
Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:53 am
Nutty says...

Ah... tamora peirce. I used to read her, and enjoyed her immensly. I've since moved on to more adult books (Yay Pratchett, Fiest, and Gemmel!)
But for an easy, light read, I occasionally pick them up yet again.

I loved the Immortal series, and the Trickster series. The lioness series was good, but it never caught my imagination like the immortal and Trickster series. Except the third one of the immortal series. I thought that one was boring.
The magic ones were...alright. Wouldn't re read them, and shatterglass I find tedious. I have only read the first one of the circle begins, so I can't comment on that.

GO NAWAT!!!
heh heh....
It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache.

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:28 am
Elelel says...

I hated hated hated Jonathan with a burning passion.

Me too! He is so annoying. Whenever he comes into any of the books I want to stab him with something sharp. Picking George over Jonathan was a no-brainer.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:45 am
dele24 says...

Elelel wrote:
I hated hated hated Jonathan with a burning passion.

Me too! He is so annoying. Whenever he comes into any of the books I want to stab him with something sharp. Picking George over Jonathan was a no-brainer.

I actually quite liked Jonathan, I have no idea why. Maybe I would have changed my mind by now since it was a few years ago since I last read them, but I thought he was cool.

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:27 pm
Meep says...

I enjoyed the first couple Alanna books, although I went on to read the entire quartet and more, I was never in mad love and I found they bored me pretty quickly. I didn't find that any of her characters had a whole lot of depth, and that most of her stories followed the same basic path of a girl or woman posing as a boy or doing a man's job. I mean, nothing against revisionist fairy tales or genderbending* or whatever, but I didn't think that her stuff was particularly well written.

I think the scene that really made me stop reading was in one of the Lioness Quartet books, and someone under Alanna's command dies and she, like, doesn't care. Not that it's stated that she doesn't care, but I remember there just being no emotional response given, and I was like, "uh, hello! someone just died and you're hanging out with your boyfriend?!" (or something like that, it's been a very long time).

I'd give them to a little girl to read, but I wouldn't bother rereading them myself.

---
*I'm pro-genderbending.
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

something I have been thinking about ever since I saw the Super Mario Bros movie is how once I took a "what Nintendo character are you" quiz and I got Waluigi.
— Elinor