z

Young Writers Society

Rain

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Sat May 26, 2007 8:28 pm
Writersdomain says...

Has anyone ever noticed that in many books whenever something important happens, it starts raining?

Rain seems to be a constant for dramatic or important scenes in a story. Does anybody use this technique themselves?
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

91 Reviews

Reviews: 91
Sat May 26, 2007 9:14 pm
something euclidean says...

On occasion. I think sometimes the rain technique can get overused, and that it should rain when nothing important is happening, sometimes. I like it when things happen in a story for effect and then the writer takes that effect - like the rain - and follows through all the logic of everything. Being wet, getting muddy, the car starts spluttering and you have to get out and pour beer over the hood and pray to the car's kami to work with the water spirits and get going again...

So I like it when those 'special effects' get carried through and thought out, because that can really add to a story.

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Sat May 26, 2007 9:32 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

I've never really noticed that before, but then again I don't think I have read many books where that happens. Like in Half-Blood Prince, the scene where Dumbledore dies, the night is crystal clear, not a rain-drop in sight.

But, I like to steer clear of as many cliches as possible (although some, of course, are inevitable), so, unless I had good reason for it, I would probably not make it start raining in an important scene. In fact, I have never imagined any of my scenes with rain...
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sat May 26, 2007 9:40 pm
Emerson says...

I think it's the feeling rain gives people. Although it variates.

Some people relate rain to depression. I get happy when it rains, usually. I love the smell of rain, and it has good memories to it.

I'd like to see some ice storms during dramatic scenes...those things are violent.
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Sat May 26, 2007 9:43 pm
Myth says...

I haven't read all of Jane Austen's work but saw a production of Persuasion, Pride and Prejudice, and Northanger Abbey and they all had these rain scenes.

I've used rain scenes myself but they're are not always important.
.: β‚ͺ :.

'...'

Random avatar

Reviews: 61
Sat May 26, 2007 11:03 pm
BrokenSword says...

I like to put rain in stories simply because I love the rain and the fog...hehe....I don't try to use it constantly though. I like putting it in scenes that aren't depressing or foreboding. Maybe just a rainstorm as a couple is rushing into a warm restaurant or something cozy like that.

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Sat May 26, 2007 11:17 pm
Sureal says...

I think it's more common in movies, especially in regards to romantic (and sex) scenes.
I wrote the above just for you.

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:12 am
Leja says...

Huh. I didn't really think about it before, but alot of important things that I write in do seem to occur during a rainstorm. I think I just like describing rainy and stormy days, though ^_^

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:33 am
sanguine_dreams says...

Writersdomain wrote:Has anyone ever noticed that in many books whenever something important happens, it starts raining?

Rain seems to be a constant for dramatic or important scenes in a story. Does anybody use this technique themselves?

I once described rain in a story I wrote but ended up scrapping. It wasn't for dramatic effect. I just [s]like[/s] LOVE rain!
"My form is a filthy type of yours." -the Creature, Frankenstein

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:42 am
Poor Imp says...

Called 'pathetic fallacy', isn't it? The use of weather and/or seasons to reflect inner conflict or a character's interior distress or joy.

I tend to avoid its conscious use. Though sometimes the two coincide - the painful lack of correspondence between outer and inner or more fun to work with often as not. ^_^

IMP
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:31 am
Caligula's Launderette says...

It is also used to create the idea of intimacy or closed spaces.

;)

Fun stuff.

Ta,
Cal.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:34 am
sanguine_dreams says...

Every time I see this thread I start thinking of that Alanis Morissette song.

It's like rain
On your wedding day
Free ride
When you've already paid
"My form is a filthy type of yours." -the Creature, Frankenstein

Random avatar

Reviews: 20
Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:45 pm
Imelda says...

In the current world I'm writing there is no rain. :D

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:55 pm
Rydia says...

I hate the rain. It always makes me sad but then I associate it with bad memories so I suppose it depends on your own experiences. I certainly use it in stories but it's best not to over-use it otherwise people will start to think 'It's raining, that means something bad's going to happen.'
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:50 pm
Areida says...

I don't force myself to use the weather as a way to convey emotion, but I have imagined scenes before and then realized it was raining after I started writing it. It works really well in this one scene, because it adds to the tension as one character whines about it and the others tell her to deal.

I think as long as it's done well, it's all right to use the rain as you please.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

By the sweat of your brow you will eat your food until you return to the ground, since from it you were taken; for dust you are and to dust you will return.
— Genesis 3:19