z

Young Writers Society

Good Teenage Books!!!

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Fri May 18, 2007 7:28 pm
Alainna says...

OK, so I need to find some good Teenage fiction novels (YA) for some research I'm doing into fiction writing.

Can anyone recommend a book based on Teenage Pregnancy??
I know a few but I haven't been able to get a hold of them, so some more recommendations would be great!!

Alainna
xxxxxx
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon May 28, 2007 6:57 pm
Snoink says...

What kind of genre would you like?
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

410 Reviews

Mon May 28, 2007 7:05 pm
Alainna says...

It's OK!! I managed to get a hold of a few books which I have now read, but having said that the genre would have been 'Social Issues' in Fiction. And to go further 'Teen Pregnancy'.
I've got a list of books, but many are American and really hard to track down.

Got YWS?

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon May 28, 2007 7:07 pm
Snoink says...

Ahhh...

Well, I know "Speak" by Laurie Halse Anderson has to do with rape of minors... and it's a pretty good book. ;)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

410 Reviews

Mon May 28, 2007 7:25 pm
Alainna says...

Thanks, I'll look it up!

Got YWS?

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Mon May 28, 2007 9:53 pm
Meep says...

What Happened to Lani Garver deals with the issues of sexuality and prejudice. It's most excellent; my third favorite book pretty much ever. I'd also recommend Luna, a book about a MtF transgender woman and her process of coming out and so on.

Sorry that neither of those are about teen pregnancy. I can't think of any books I've read that dealt with the issue.
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Thu May 31, 2007 1:01 pm
chocoholic says...

Blue Moon and Baby Blue by Julia Green are about teenage pregnancy. Absolutley beautiful books.

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:52 am
Sam says...

The Minister's Daughter, by Julie Hearn, is a historical fiction book about teen pregnancy. Interesting, right?

A non fiction, The Body Project, by Joan Jacobs Brumberg, would be useful to you if you're trying to write one involving teen pregnancy and other 'girl issues'. It's a very interesting book about girls from the Victorian era on, mainly about sex role and that sort of thing. Good stuff.

Hmm...Hourglass! (Really, I wouldn't subject myself to that kind of self-torture. :P)
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

410 Reviews

Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:02 pm
Alainna says...

Thanks everyone!!

I've already read Baby Blue, The Opposite Of Chocolate and Birthday Blues...so I now have a better insight on how to write about teen pregnancy.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll check them out!

Alainna
xxxxxx

Got YWS?

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:10 pm
Rydia says...

The pact by Jodi picoult briefly covers teenage pregnancy but it mostly features on suicide so if you want the books just for the purposes of research, not the best choice but if you're looking for a great book you should defineately read it.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

514 Reviews

Reviews: 514
Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:23 am
JC says...

Speak doesn't have pregnacy...does it? Anyways, this is for Lyla right? Uh, I already said Someone Like You...have you tried Amazon.com. It's american though...currency problems...uh, I don't know how that would work...
But that is not the question. Why we are here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come. -Beckett

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:15 am
Pushca says...

Teen pregnancy? Oh! The Bad Mother's Handbook

So, so good. It's in our school library, but it's not YA, if that matters.
"Nothing I could write would be as shocking and offensive as censorship itself." -Deb Caletti

410 Reviews

Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:18 pm
Alainna says...

Thanks guys, my library must think I'm pregnant at this rate....

I'll look them up and I'm determined to get a hold of that Sarah Dessen book...

Alainna
xxxxxxxx

Got YWS?

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:27 am
Meep says...

If librarians think that people reflect the contents of the books they read most frequently, than they must think I'm an elfish lesbian. (Haha, "fairy.") Don't worry about it; I've never met a judgmental librarian. (& I used to spend a lot of time in libraries.)

... more on topic: Sarah Dessen makes really excellent summer reading, and she's probably written something about teen pregnancy.
Also, it's a little more magical realism and therefore not really sociologically accurate, but I know Weetzie Bat in Dangerous Angels has children at a very young age, but I can't remember if she was a teenager or not.
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

Reviews: 0
Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:39 am
shortya-lice says...

Baby Blue and Blue Moon By Juila Green and also Birthday Blues by Anne Cassidy is a good story where the baby is abandoned. :)

snacks are relevant to every situation and your argument is invalid
— LemonTheDorkyPanda